The Baker "Song of 100"

SesameMike

Reaction score
Did anyone ever see the falling baker segment that featured the "Song of 100"?

It began like any normal 1-10 song, with the kids counting 1 though 10, then counting backwards at an accelerated pace. But then, when the kids counted the numbers flying by, they didn't stop at 10! Instead the numbers kept coming:

"Eleven!" (whoosh)
"Twelve" (whoosh)

and so on. they had to keep modulating downward, since there was no way they could keep advancing upward in the musical scale (in the song of ten they make a downward tonal move as well). The numbers repeated their launch angle based on their 1's place (e.g., the 12, 22, and the 32 etc. all moved the same angular direction off the screen.) And so the numbers went on:

"Ninety-eight" (whoosh)
"Ninety-nine" (whoosh)

Until finally, a rapid series of 100's advanced forward

A hundred, a hundred, a hundred, a hundred
Let's sing the song of a hundred.
How many is a hundred?

Then the counting sequences appeared. To facilitate counting such a large number, they had to either fade out previous numbers every 20 or so, or pan the camera as the counting proceeds to include all the items.

-- The "two heads" lady and a little girl are in a kitchen. The girl accidentally knocks a box of raisins on the floor. Somewhat angered, her mother yells out "100 raisins!"

-- A man opens a rectangular door with a question mark on it. Inside he sees a (plastic protected) honeycomb from a beehive, with corresponding audio of loud buzzing. He let's out a scared "100 honeybees?!" and runs off before the count begins.

-- A congressional page is in the balcony of the United States Senate. He looks down for a moment and says "100 senators." For the counting on this one, the numbers were blue for the democrat side and red for the Republican side.

-- A quick shot of Mean Joe Greene catching a football in an end zone. He looks to one side, then lets out a tough "100 yards". Greene then runs with the ball across the football field, with the kids counting off each hash mark until he makes a touchdown. At the final note he spikes the ball before the 100 does its usual advancing forward to cut to the next scene.

-- To the sound of the usual musical notes, the baker is standing atop stairs while holding two metal trays loaded with "A hundred, chocolate and vanilla, cupcakes". He holds the trays up with one hand to our left, when he stumbles and trips down the steps sending cupcakes sailing hither and thither and covering the bakers hands, face, and uniform in a mixture of brown and white frosting.

"And that's the song of a hundred."

Did I leave any item-counting sequences out?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've never heard about this until now. Are you sure that this happened? I know that the number 100 has never sponsored the show, and that 40 is the highest number that's been taught. Are you aure you aren't maybe thinking about a parody of the baker films that might have aired on some other program?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
I think he's just joking.
I don't know. He doesn't give any hints that he is joking. If he was joking about this, it would be more appropiate for the fan fiction section, or maybe he should have waited untill April Fools Day to make a post like this.

SesameMike

Reaction score
OK guys, it was a joke! Sorry (sigh!) if I offended anyone.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I figured that this sketch didn't exist on Sesame Street. If it did I would have thought that more people would have remembered it and mentioned it in one of the many threads about this film series, or that somebody at Muppet Wiki who remembered it would have listed this skecth on the page for these sketches. It would have been really rare, maybe even rarer than the 1 segment, if it had existed and nobody else brought the skit up untill now. And if a sketch that taught kids to count up to 100 did exist, I am sure that people who saw it would have remembered seeing it, since 100 is never taught on the show.

Good joke, bad context.

wiley207

Reaction score
That's funny! I think for the part with the big count and flying numbers, it should go like...

"1... 2... skip a few... 99..." then the "100" will start that infinity-zoom thing. A "3" "5" and "8" will fly past during the "Skip a few" part.

Then for counting the 100 things, it will also go "1, 2, skip a few, 99, 100!"

PiLfan

Reaction score
if they ever did a song of a 100, the segment would last longer than elmo's world...

Xerus

Reaction score
Lately, they have been counting to 100 on Sesame Street. Only they're either counting by fives or by tens to 100 to make it faster.

A Zydaco band was singing a counting to 100 by fives song.

Kermit trained a frog to count to 100 by tens.

And there was a reality show called Joe Hundredguy who had to count to 100 by tens to win.