1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

The Best CGI Films in Recent Memory... And more

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lmag42, Mar 15, 2016.

1. lmag42

lmag42 Active Member

With how we are ripping apart movies over in the Worst CGI movies thread, I thought maybe we could share our favorite CGI movies. I'll start.

Well, my favorite is WALL-E. A well done movie. It felt like Pixar put a ton of effort into this movie, and it turned out so well. It's funny, and it's views on our world and out dependence of sorts on technology, and I'll throw in obesity, are even more relevant here in 2016. How about you guys?

2. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I can agree, WALL*E is a virtual showcase of Pixar eye candy, and has some of the most beautiful animation I've ever seen: you really can't go wrong when you set an animated adventure in space . . . same with FINDING NEMO for it's time: the underwater animation was absolutely stunning.

THE PEANUTS MOVIE was the most recent CGI movie I saw, and it was simply wonderful - so respectful to the franchise (especially considering that the Schulz family was heavily involved), and it was great to see good ol' Chuck come out the winner in his own story for once. It was even heartwarming to see Snoopy be a little more affectionate rather than his usual cool and aloof self (though that's what made Snoopy funny in the past).

3. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Peanuts was a gorgeous film because they went a more experimental route with the CGI. They gave it some sort of CGI + Traditional Animation + Craig Bartlett style top down stop motion (as opposed to 3-D stop motion with larger puppets) look to the film. And the end result was pretty unique and wonderful. It's a shame that they were only licensed to do that one movie and there's too much red tape to get another Peanuts story off the ground. But the film was able to condense the same Peanuts schtick into a good, working film, all while managing to make the ending happy and hopeful. I mean, how many Peanuts specials ended with either Charlie or another character ranting bout how regretful they are at the end? When the only wins Charlie Brown really got was the Valentines Day when he got a reused Valentine out of guilt and accepted it with gusto? They managed to make a happier, more fitting ending to Charlie Brown than the comics actually did, but without ruining the tone of the original series. A fantastic film.

But I do love me some experimental CGI animation. When we got the first batch of CGI films, you have to admit, they were pretty stiff. The Shrek films were made hyper realistic and kinda pastel looking for example. I have to say, if there's one film I'd credit towards changing the face of what CGI animation looked like, it's Madagascar. Now, I love the franchise for some reason, the Penguins and their spinoffs moreso. While I certainly won't call it the greatest CGI film taking away my bias, the film was the first (if not one of the first) to introduce squash and stretch into CGI animated movies. Something Sony pretty much specializes in now (I'll admit their films since Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs are good looking). And I'd especially credit Pixar's The Incredibles in finding a magical way to stylize humans in CGI so they look quite good. And studios have been pretty much copying that style ever since.

4. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

I do like how we're seeing more experimental styles of computer animation in recent years. And I would love to see the Meander animation system (that 2D/3D hybrid style) used in Paperman and Feast get applied to a feature-length film.

Pig's Laundry likes this.
  5. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

That would be absolutely amazing!

6. Drtooth

I've seen some animated shows use a cel shaded CGI mimicking traditional looking animation. Sky Hawks, a Japanese series called "Freedom" (which I didn't pick up on until the second episode), the new Mysterious Cities of Gold series (though I've only seen it as a preview and don't know if more has come of it), and TF: Robots in Disguise. I'm sure with a bigger budget, this sort of thing would work better as a film.

7. BlakeConor14

BlakeConor14 Well-Known Member

The most recent cgi film I saw was the good dinosaur I thought it was fantastic but my favorite will always be toy story

8. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

Toy Story is one of my favorites as well.

BlakeConor14 likes this.
  9. Drtooth

I really liked Good Dinosaur, and I already posted thoughts on that somewhere else. I really wish that it got a better release date but HEY! We have to remind people that Toy Story came out that weekend, you know when there weren't like fifty companies doing lousy one shot CGI films. While I don't think it's Pixar's best work or one of the best CGI films in recent years, it's far from anything unlikable or unwatchable. In fact, I praise the film for not being something formulaic for Pixar, and while I do like Wall*E, I found it to be a better, simpler film. The whole simplicity of the DinoBoy and his pet Caveboy set in a Western parallel refreshing from either trying to make the most emotional film possible or trying to pander to the younger audiences Pixar films fall into. In fact, I also admire the fact that they cut out a crapload of characters to focus on a few. Something that I have to admit was Monsters U's problem. Too many characters, not enough time for them to shine.

10. Pig's Laundry

The Good Dinosaur certainly had it's charms, I especially loved the animation (which is basically what everyone seems to say about the movie),the two main characters were intriguing but overall it something about it seemed to lack but i'm not quite sure what it was. I know part of it was the unusually dark tone for a Pixar movie, that was just uncomfortable to sit through for instance when the pterodactyl ate the little creature that our main characters had originally saved. that didn't sit well with me. I know that part was supposed to be shocking and show how bad our villains are but I think because the story wasn't the best a lot of the dark moments come off as pointless and a bit cruel.
    Even the ending seemed a bit depressing, I mean sure it was technically a happy ending,but still you'd think after all the psychological torture those kids went through they'd at least have something a bit less anti-climactic than "And then they all go home". We never really see how Arlo copes with the death of his father" besides him being depressed for a scene and than another where he hallucinates about him.

Plus to me most of the movie felt pretty boring and uneventful. One of my least favorite Pixar movies. I didn't hate it, I just didn't really like it.

That being said, it's still better than both the Cars movies.

11. lmag42

lmag42 Active Member

In my opinion, I feel Wall-E is the best movie Pixar has ever made, followed by pretty much everything else which is good as well, except for Cars 2, Brave, and Toy Story 3, which were actually not very good, and Inside Out and The Good Dinosaur which I haven't seen, although my sister said Inside Out was fantastic.

One of the main reasons Wall-E was so great was that it was definitely a standalone, with no sequel. It had a great plot, with many different parts to it, and it ended on a good note, and to make a Wall-E 2 would've been difficult, as who really needs to see the rebuilding of earth... But with a bunch of Fatsos... And no real storyline... So yeah, a nicely executed movie.

12. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

BRAVE was pretty good, but it had poor timing: being released so soon after DreamWorks released HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON made it feel like Pixar was trying to top DW with a similar movie, and in fact, that critique of mine was actually spoofed somewhat in this comic:
    http://idget.comicgenesis.com/d/20120101.html

I thought TOY STORY 3 was wonderful: it was a very heartwarming, heartfelt, and bittersweet conclusion to the saga, and it was great they brought back all of the original actors for the voices after all those years (with the sad exception of Jim Varney, obviously, though Blake Clark was actually a buddy of Varney's, so that helped).

It didn't even occur to me, but you're right, WALL*E was a standalone feature makes it all the more special. I supposed the same can be said for RATATOUILLE - even though I'd love to see more Pixar movies headed by Brad Bird (and it looks like we'll get that chance with THE INCREDIBLES sequel), I can't imagine how a follow-up to that story would work. Likewise, I'm a little leary about FINDING DORY: on the one hand, I loved FINDING NEMO, and it's hard to deny that Dory stole the show, but on the other hand, that's just it, Dory stole the show as a supporting character . . . can she really carry a whole movie as the main focus rather than a tagalong? Ditto for her short-term memory?

13. Drtooth

Brave suffered from behind the scenes problems and having its original director pushed out of the project. It felt uneven. I respect what they were trying to do and I enjoyed it. I especially like how much they did to subvert every princess movie and some of the "Well Done Son" (in this case, daughter) style tropes. Plus, it's great to have a teenage princess in a Disney film not look like a 20 year old fashion plate but rather a real human being. Seriously? Pocahontas was like what, 14 when the alleged story took place. It just felt that something was missing in the film. I don't know what, but it seems there should have been another few scenes to round the film out.

14. Pig's Laundry

Even worse, she was twelve in real life and it's been said that they had a very older brother/younger sister type relationship.

15. lmag42

lmag42 Active Member

Oh yeah, Ratatouille. That was a great movie too. I remember some of the early trailers tried to make it look dark and edgy. Instead, it was a fun and adventurous cooking movie. The part with the dead chef in the sewer and the rest of the sewer scene was pretty cool. A underrated movie, but I still think Wall-E is supreme.
    Also, about Dreamworks. What happened? Ever since Rise of The Guardians, they seem to make the okay not THAT edgy movies that gross below expectations.

Colbynfriends likes this.
  16. Drtooth

I knew it was either 12 or 14. And the film was to be a wacky adventurous romp with a John Candy voiced turkey, instead of the clumsy, preachy Oscar Bait wannabe it became. And that was at the insistence of the same guy who almost made Toy Story an unwatchable mess. Make of that what you will.

Dreamworks is being too cautious, and that caution is their undoing. Rise of the Guardians didn't catch on because it was based on a series of book no one has heard of, but to be fair, were put back in print specifically for the movie. The DVD even comes with a flier on the inside advertising said books. Then again, ROTG has a cult fanbase, especially ones that really like Jack Frost. While I'd admit some of their films didn't perform well due to poor timing (look at Penguins of Madagascar the movie and HTTYD2, which should have been a slam dunk), they've been making Audience Alienating Premise type movies for a while now. Turbo was a pretty stupid concept, and it really didn't seem like something I'd enjoy but wound up liking anyway...even then it's for the voice cast sand animation carrying the film and the fact the animated series utilizes the concept better. Peabody and Sherman probably made the most money out of all the Jay Ward based films, but every one of them flopped, with Dudley Do-Right slamming the worst. Unless you count Boris and Natasha not even being released to theaters. And frankly, yeah. It's a terrible movie. I've heard kids were generally excited to see it, it just didn't translate to box office. Home was a domestic success, but I don't think it did well overseas. And the next thing they have is Trolls, which I still can't decide if it's going to be crap or not.

17. lmag42

lmag42 Active Member

That's strange. Dreamworks playing it safe could have to do with the fact that they have no real Franchise right now, and they are trying to find the safest, most "widely appealing" movies to make. Also, they really seem to want a Franchise, they do need one, the closest thing to a Franchise for them is a The Croods, which is getting a sequel. Was it really THAT successful to get a sequel? Because I remember the onslaught of commercials for it on Nick for a month that must have been part of a HUGE marketing expense. Also, if KFP is considered a franchise that is ongoing, good luck with doing more of those. Actually, they have HTTYD, so that must count, but that's kind of weak compared to Shrek and Madagascar, which WERE cash cows Check out the schedule for DreamWorks: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franch...d=dwanimation.htm&sort=date&order=DESC&p=.htm

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  18. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

I highly recommend the 2014 film The Prophet. It's about a mute little girl who befriends an exiled poet arrested for treason, while she and her mother help him escape to his home country. The animation of the main story is done in cel-shaded CG á la Feast (and is very well-done at that), but the gorgeous animation for the poetry and song segments are what really stand out. Each one is done by a different artist using different styles, including one by Bill Plympton. Liam Neeson and Salma Hayek (the latter of whom also produced this) are among the voice cast, as well.

19. Luke kun

Luke kun Well-Known Member

Toonami has GREAT CGI during it's bumpers. I also have a crush on TOM. Sexy stuff.

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  20. Colbynfriends

Colbynfriends Well-Known Member

Now, this may be controversial. I feel The Jungle Book (2016) was one of the best CGI films of recent years.
    "But it's live action!"
    Well, yes, but a good majority of the film was done in CG. Yes they looked Photo-realistic, but they hit that mark and above. It was SO believable. One of the best uses of CGI by far this decade in my opinion.