The Best Compliment I Ever Received...

CaptCrouton

Reaction score
Hey, you all are becoming a family of sorts to me, and I wanted to share something really cool that happened to me today. I received the greatest compliment I could receive.

A lady from my church stopped by my house today. She asked me to pray about something. She's re-writing her will, and said to me, "I wondered if you would do me a big favor and take care of my kids if anything happens to me. I know that you'll love them and raise them in the fear of the Lord. I couldn't think of anyone who I'd feel better leaving them with. You'd make a great dad."

I was totally dumbfounded. I think the most valuable thing on earth would be your kids. I'm nobody special, a single guy in my early thirties. I don't have a lot of money with my occupation. It seems like there are so many people who could provide so much more. It's very humbling.

I think it must be the coolest thing in the world to be a dad, but I've never had my opportunity or found the right gal for me. God forbid anything should happen to make me keep this commitment, but just the thought that someone would entrust me with their own precious kids had me bawling like a baby this afternoon.

Anyway, it's the overwhelming thought in my head. Thanks for giving me a place to express it just now.

Markus

Crazy Harry

Reaction score
'raise them in the fear of the lord'???

I am happy for you.

CaptCrouton

Reaction score
I was quoting her. In Christianese that means, "You'll raise them to honor God"

Sorry, I forgot to use the universal translator. Whatcha need is a good Babel Fish for us church folk.

BigSPEEGS

Reaction score
Wow...

Mazel Tov, that is quite an honor.

-SPEEGS

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Wow....go Capt! You must be a very good man. A hearty congratz to you. :smile:

-Matt

grail

Reaction score
Originally posted by BigSPEEGS
Wow...

Mazel Tov, that is quite an honor.
please pardon my ignorance, but i have always been curious and never had the nerve to just ask. what is the translation of "Mazel Tov"? i feel really bad asking, and please know that i mean NO disrespect, but i've always wanted to know. i've always assumed it was "well done", or something to that effect.

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Mazel Tov is the Hebrew equivelent of congradulations. That's pretty much all there is to it...:big_grin:

-Matt

grail

Reaction score
thanks...that's more or less what i thought...but i felt really stupid not knowing. it's easier to ask people that you don't have to look at when asking stupid questions...makes it harder for them to laugh in your face.

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Ek, yeah I know...a do have my face about 2 inches from the screen and I'm laughing uncontrolably right now...just so you know. :big_grin:

-Matt