The Best of Elmo 2

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It's been announced that a sequel to The Best of Elmo, The Best of Elmo 2, will be released on may 4 2010. And quite a few celebrity appearances have been confirmed for inclusion, some of which only feature Elmo in the chorus.

Anyway, I thought I'd start this thread to talk about what sketches SHOULD be included, and maybe discuss other things as we know more.

Aside from the known celebrity appearances, I wish for it to include the following:
  • Kermit and Elmo demonstrate "happy" and "sad".
  • Super Grover and Super Elmo.
  • Sesame Street News: Elmo's Reporter Game.
  • Elmo and Winston the Dolphin show love.
  • You and You and Me (or maybe "Red and Blue"... or both).
  • Abby makes a doll for Elmo.

I figure most of those won't be included, but I am hopeful.

More information can be found at muppet.wikia.com/wiki/The_Best_of_Elmo_2

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I was thinking, it's a bit ridiculous for this set to include Jason Mraz's "Outdoors" song... Couldn't they just release an outdoors-themed Sesame Street DVD and include that clip on that? It could include the street scenes where Big Bird considers moving into a new habitat, the nature survival guy comes to Sesame Street, and Elmo and Chris' camping trip... And maybe also Carribian Amphibbian and one of the two Bert and Ernie fishing trip segments.

I feel like Outdoors, A New Way to Walk, and 1234 don't really belong here... Elmo is just part of the gang in these, and two of those three were just released on DVD. If we're going to be getting stuff where Elmo is part of the background, I'd rather have Ev'rybody Be Yo'Self and Monsterpeice Theater: Anyone's Nose (and You Tickle Me, though he does have lines in that).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well, I searched sesamestreet.org for most of the confirmed clips (I couldn't find the David Beckham clip... Guess it's not on the website yet) and I kept track of the time and added them up. Adding time is a bit hard, but if my calculations are correct, we know the contents for approximately 12 minutes and 21 seconds of the DVD. And it's reportedly 27 minutes long... Not much tiem left for new footage and non-celebrity clips, but I hope they can manage to squeaze in some additional segments.

Drtooth

Reaction score
This was posted in the other thread, but I think I should put it here to accentuate the thoughts on this..

D'Snowth said:
Not surprising at all.

Okay, so now, we need to go over to SW and tell them that they owe us something like "The Best of Ernie and Bert 2" or "Another Celebration of Me, Grover", etc.

Heck, "The Best of Ernie and Bert 2" could consist of some of the more modern, yet memorable Ernie and Bert moments like Ernie's Adding Song and whatnot. "Another Celebration of Me, Grover" could have some old Global Grover segments, and maybe the "Outrageous Makeover: Home Add-ition" sketch.
I'd really like to see that sort of thing, but somehow... I would much rather see something that's entirely new footage with maybe a couple older links here and there and old skits as bonus. to get back to the subject at hand:
I feel like Outdoors, A New Way to Walk, and 1234 don't really belong here... Elmo is just part of the gang in these, and two of those three were just released on DVD. If we're going to be getting stuff where Elmo is part of the background, I'd rather have Ev'rybody Be Yo'Self and Monsterpeice Theater: Anyone's Nose (and You Tickle Me, though he does have lines in that).
Of course, and I'd never buy a Best of Elmo anyway, I find this disk to be The Best of recent celebrities that Elmo just happens to be with. And 27 minutes? That's very meager for a DVD release that will probably cost upwards of 15 bucks... I guess that's WHV being WHV. They have a penchant to be Scroogelike. It's only gonna sell because Elmo's slapped on it, I'm sorry. There's NO shortage of Elmo footage. None whatsoever. There's no reason it should all be "Ooh! Elmo remembers the time he was in the chorus of this song or with this celebrity no one will remember in 2 years for marketing reasons." I'd hate for any Best of Ernie and Bert or Grover part 2 to be nothing BUT them playing second and third to celebrities that basically say "Look Ma! I'm on the Sesame Seed!"
Take a look at the track listing for Best of Elmo 1

See? Only 2 key celebrity moments where they actually talk to Elmo. None of this in the chorus stuff here. And they really should include something with Kermit the Frog in it, even as a bonus. To me, that WAS the best of Elmo.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
There's no reason it should all be "Ooh! Elmo remembers the time he was in the chorus of this song or with this celebrity no one will remember in 2 years for marketing reasons." I'd hate for any Best of Ernie and Bert or Grover part 2 to be nothing BUT them playing second and third to celebrities that basically say "Look Ma! I'm on the Sesame Seed!"
Seems most of the celebrity clips will be recent appearances... But Elmo has appeared in older sketches with Robin Williams, Jim Carrey, and Mel Gibson, all of whom have been consistiently popular since their Sesame Street appearances (and before). Of course I've noticed that none of their appearances have been released commercially, and with the exception of Robin Williams (in the celebrity "Monster in the Mirror") nothing with those celebrities have been put on sesamestreet.org. I hope those celebrities aren't just charging too much (or refusing altogether) for their appearances to be released.

Also, I wouldn't expect a second "best of Bert and Ernie/Grover" to be full of them with celebrities... Those characters haven't really been in too many sketches with celebrities. Though I'd hate if such releases included yet another release of "Everybody's Song" or "Gospel Alphabet".

SSLFan

Reaction score
Seriously, this thing should have been called "The Stars Come Out on Sesame Street" (yeah, I know, it's in refrence to a certain record of the same name.:big_grin:) It's basically a crap fest of celebs singing on SST and Elmo just happened to be there at the right time. Calling it the "Best of Elmo 2" is an insult to the original.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's basically a crap fest of celebs singing on SST and Elmo just happened to be there at the right time. Calling it the "Best of Elmo 2" is an insult to the original.
I wouldn't so much call it an insult to the original as an insult to logic. I mean, Elmo's popularity doesn't even need to be taken into account. They could put a segment on the show with Elmo reading enclosed instruction manuals to outdated or broken appliances, and not only would kids watch it, it'd be with the show for 15 years past it. Kids LOVE Elmo, much to the chagrin of... well.. basically SS's entire older fanbase. They don't NEED to have a collection of recent celebrities to sell an Elmo video. They don't even need the Sesame Street logo. The fact that it's all a collection of celebrities with Elmo sort of there (though Song About Elmo really deserves to be on there, if you ask me) makes it feel... I dunno... like they don't have confidence in their own project without saying "Oh! We had this person no one will remember in a year. Isn't that important?"

But Elmo has appeared in older sketches with Robin Williams, Jim Carrey, and Mel Gibson, all of whom have been consistiently popular since their Sesame Street appearances (and before). Of course I've noticed that none of their appearances have been released commercially, and with the exception of Robin Williams (in the celebrity "Monster in the Mirror") nothing with those celebrities have been put on sesamestreet.org. I hope those celebrities aren't just charging too much (or refusing altogether) for their appearances to be released.
The difference between this release and the older one is that the 2 celebrity segments they used there are timeless. Whoopi Goldberg and Julia Roberts? They're still ubiquitous. Even without Whoopi being on that View show. Jason Impronouncible, Unspellable last name... even I don't know who that is, and I never even heard "I'm Yours." Though, after looking at the listing, some of these really aren't all that recent. India Ari was a few years ago, and the Goo Goo Dolls are practically in the "where are they now" files. But The Fiest and Jason Mzzrrrrzzzrrr sketches are just... really... what are they doing there? Really. A Robin Williams skit, or the bit with Robert DeNiro (don't know if SW would want to have any acknowledgment of Mel Gibson after that incident years back)... but more timeless celebs really should have been added to the disk. I will say, as far as the Goo Goo Dolla, India Ari, and Adam Sandler are involved, I can't really complain about the logic of adding those, since they were JUSt a celebrity and Elmo (or the entire song was about Elmo). The others are just "Look who we had on the show." and not even in a timeless way.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
(don't know if SW would want to have any acknowledgment of Mel Gibson after that incident years back)...
I'd forgotten all about Mel Gibson having a controversey... I wonder if the general public has (I'm pretty sure that Sesame Workshop stopped showing all Mel Gibson segments long before the incident). But it does make me think, if not for Chris Brown's incident from a few years ago, I bet this DVD would have had "See the Signs".

minor muppetz

Reaction score
You know, the announcement of this kind of killed an april fools joke that I had planned. I planned on saying that I found that Warner Home Video was planning to release a collection of single-disc DVDs called the "Sesame Street Superstars" collection, consisting of five at a time. I was going to say that the first five releases would focus on Big Bird, Elmo, Abby, Telly, and Grover, and consist only of existing footage, plus bonus features, including featurettes on the creation and evolution of the characters, plus bonus clips focusing on character evolution (except for Abby Cadabby... For that I was planning on claiming that it would have three Abby's Flying Fairy School segments).

Of course I wonder if I would have still attempted the joke if the "best of" DVD would be for somebody who wasn't in my plans (like Cookie Monster or The Count).

DePingPong

Reaction score
This is an old thread, I know. Just browsing the forum late at night.

The Best of Elmo 2 really isn't the best of Elmo. It's good for the kids cause they won't know who the celebs are nor will they care as long as Elmo is there.

The Best of Elmo 3 I believe is just an Elmo sketch compilation with no linking footage and two SS episodes as bonus features. I think it's less focused on celebs on TBoE3 which I think is a good thing. If it's called The Best of Elmo, give us Elmo, not Elmo standing by some celebs.