The best of Harvey Kneeslapper and the number painter

mikealan

Reaction score
This is now the year 2003. I remembered listening to the painter clip in spring 2002, but it is now gone as well as the other clips from the Mahna Mahna site and I remembered listening to the Ha Ha song with Harvey Kneeslapper, Herry and Big Bird on Sesame Street Radio and Muppet Central Radio. Now, I watched two full-length Harvey Kneeslapper skits and two full-length number painter sketches at the end of 2002.

The best of Harvey Kneeslapper:

Do You Know Where I Wanna Be?

HARVEY KNEESLAPPER: 'Scuze me, do you know where I wanna be?

FAT BLUE-LIKE AM: What'd you say?

HARVEY KNEESLAPPER: Like I said, do you know where I wanna be? Hee hee hee.

FAT BLUE-LIKE AM: No, where?

HARVEY KNEESLAPPER: I wanna "B" right here! (Slaps the letter B on the AM's chest.) Heeheeheeheeeheee!!

(The AM angrily stares at the B and runs off.)

X Marks the Spot

HARVEY KNEESLAPPER: (Giggles at the Fat Blue-like AM and whispers...) X marks the spot!

FAT BLUE-LIKE AM: What?

HARVEY KNEESLAPPER: (Louder) X marks the spot!

FAT BLUE-LIKE AM: Where? Where?

HARVEY KNEESLAPPER: Right here! (Slaps a big yellow spot on the AM's chest.) Now, I will give you an X! (Slaps the letter X on the AM's chest.) X marks the spot! HEEHEEHEEHEEHEEEEHEEEHEEEE!!!!

FAT BLUE-LIKE AM: AAAAAAUUUUUGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!

The best of the number painter:

4: We see the number painter (Paul Bendict) walking in the Brooklyn-like streets and planning to paint the number four. Then, he sees a woman carrying an umbrella and paints a yellow "4" on it. After he paints it, water began to drown to make the painter wet, but the "4" is still there!

6: We see the number painter (Paul Bendict) in the bakery. He hides under the table, because the baker arrives and bakes a cake, so the painter plans to decorate the number "6" on the cake. After he decorates the "6", the baker arrives back and eats the piece of the cake and...SMACK! He slaps it on the painter's face!

"Do you know where I wanna be?" with Harvey Kneeslapper and Paul Bendict painting a "4" are available on the Rainstorm episode from 1972. Harvey's X marks the spot joke is also available on #560 and Paul Bendict decorating a "6" is available on my first family tape that features my first Sesame Street shows from the 1987-88 season.

Gonzo

Reaction score
I love the Number Painter!

He may have led to some of my pre-pubescent vandalism. Then again, maybe I just WANTED to paint my parent's bedroom carpet purple...

Hmmm....

That's it.

Quinnnnnnnnnnn

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
The Number Painter's name is Paul Benedict, though I can easily understand how someone could get it wrong. Also, I believe that his victim was portrayed by award-winning actress, Stockard Channing. My fondest memory of the painter is the "3" sketch. He and the woman are both out in the park for a picnic. The painter keeps using different condiments to paint a number 3 on different types of bread, but the woman keeps eating his art. I think that there was a ketchup 3 squirted onto a piece of white bread, and a mayonnaise 3 painted onto a piece of dark rye or pumpernickel bread. Finally, the woman sort of agrees not to eat the bread with a third 3 painted on it until the painter can show the masterpiece to the camera and the viewing crowd.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

The number painter was before my time. I do remember some Harvey Kneeslapper sketches though.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, come on, Daffyfan2003. Don't leave us hanging. Go ahead and share some of your memories. Here are two of mine:
Harvey Kneeslapper- Say, would you mind if I keep an eye on your hat?
AM- What did you say?
Harvey- I said, do you mind if I keep an eye on your hat?
Am- No, not at all.
Harvey- OK, here's an I! He then places a large capital I over the Am's hat, crushing it in the process and then runs away laughing.

The only other Number Painter sketch I remember is one for the number 11. The painter is waiting inside a doctor's office and looking for the perfect medium for his artistic talents. He suddenly spies the window in the front of the office's door. He then leaves the office and proceeds to paint a blue 11 on the glass window so that it looks right when seen from inside the office.

ScottMonster

Reaction score
Here's a Harvey Kneeslapper one that's on the seventh season premiere (1975):

"Fat Blue" (was that REALLY his name) watches Harvey Kneeslapper bouncing around happily on a pogo stick.

FB: Hey, that pogo stick looks like fun!

HK: It sure is! Wanna try?

FB: Oh I'd love too!

HK: What did you say?

FB: I said 'I'd love too!'

HK: All right... here! (HK slaps a cut-out number 2 on FB's chest) There's '2' (and he laughs manaically, bouncing out on the pogo stick with FB chasing after him angrily)

Clean Gultch

Reaction score
Poor Fat Blue. If hes not being pranked by Harvey, hes being pestered by Grover's waitering.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

Sorry, Punk, but I think everyone used the ones I remember the most. Didn't he interact with Ernie too? I know Lefty the Salesman did.

Oh, by the way, according to the "Muppets Real Names" thread Fat Blue's real name is Fred Johnson.