The Bob's Burgers Discussion Thread

Who's your favorite character on Bob's Burgers?

• Linda

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mort

• Jimmy Pesto

• Jimmy Jr.

• Zeke

• Mr. Frond

• Gayle

• other (sorry, can't list all the characters here)

• Total voters

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I can't believe there hasn't been a thread for this yet. I've been aware of the show since it's beginning but it wasn't until a few months ago that I started watching it on the regular. Currently, i'm about halfway through with watching the fourth season and it's become one of my all time favorite shows

So please, share your thoughts on each episode and anything else 'Bob's Burgers' related.
Remember, the show is on hiatus so now is your chance to catch up if you haven't already.

SPOILERS down below!

mr3urious

Reaction score
I'm amazed that Bob's Burgers has been renewed up to an 8th season, and personally, I'm very glad it has. It's the best animated show on Fox right now, and I give major props to the writers for not making it into a Family Guy clone and use vulgarity & tastelessness as a crutch. That's the very thing that utterly disappointed me about the potential-filled Bordertown.

Like The Simpsons when it first started out, I really felt like the show greatly improved since its 2nd season with stronger characterization, sharper writing, more action elements, and better animation. Looking back, the kids seemed to really have it in for Bob, Louise especially. But since then, they firmly established her as being a jerk with a heart of gold. I especially love episodes that focus on Louise's less abrasive side, like when she develops a reluctant crush on a boy band member when Tina drags her to a concert, or when she is forced to go to the dentist and holds herself hostage at her aunt's house out of fear.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I'm absolutely amazed by just how fresh and witty every single episode is. I swear I can watch this show all day and re-watch each episode a million times, it's just that good.

Each and every character is solid, even one shot characters and characters who are only there for one scene. And I feel like some of the main characters are at least loosely based on real people because, Linda is disturbingly similar to my mother and I used to know kids very much like Andy and Ollie.

Drtooth

Reaction score
This is really the little show that could. Now, I do love The Simpsons no matter how iffy the quality of later episodes are. I mean, I grew up with the show since the Tracy Ullman days, so I can't really harbor any ill will towards it. Family Guy....tsshhhhhh... I miss it being a pop culture show. It totally just pandered to the adult swim gamers taking breaks between Halo games show, and all the talent left FG for bigger and better things (Dan Povenmire with Phineas and Ferb, a chunk of writers left for the superior American Dad). But the thing about Bob's Burgers that makes it special is that it's pretty much a cable show on network television. Loren Bouchard and that ilk really thrived on channels like CN (otherwise Home Movies would have been a completely forgotten cartoon on a forgotten network) and Comedy Central (Dr. Katz and the like). Heck, even WordGirl seems like it tries very hard to balance itself between kid's show and urbane Soup 2 Nuts stuff.

There's just something very special about this show. Sure, with The Simpsons I like Bart and Homer most of all, sometimes Maggie. Family Guy, Stewie and Chris maybe. But with the Belchers, I can't even pick a clear favorite. The entire family is so...I don't want to say "quirky" because that makes it sound precious. Eccentric? Whatever it is, the characters seem to be the perfect level of exaggerated and relatable. They manage to make them a very unlucky family, but not cartoonishly so (remember the live action sitcom The Pitts? Yeah, no one does). Even the secondary characters, especially Teddy. The ad libbing between Jon Benjamin and Larry Murphy is exquisite. Even the Belcher kids' friends are great. I'm not the hugest Azis Ansari fan, but love his character. I don't know what they did, but even the unlikable characters are too likable. And the addition of Kevin Kline and Zach Galifanakis (however that's spelled) as the eccentric rich brothers who never come off as Mr. Burns like rounding out the cast. And always a great selection of comedian voice guests.

But if there's one thing that I don't think gets enough praise, it's the puns. The burger names, the stores in the opening that keep changing...all that. They have a great mix of post-irony and gently embracing dad humor. They're bad but they're more "awwww" than groaners.

I give major props to the writers for not making it into a Family Guy clone and use vulgarity & tastelessness as a crutch. That's the very thing that utterly disappointed me about the potential-filled Bordertown.
The writers wouldn't be able to do that kind of humor because they worked on said cable shows. They have a more stand up comedian/improv (but the good kind) humor, and that style is what makes the show better. If anything, Fox's notes to not make them cannibals or Sweeny Todds was the best network meddling ever.

That said, I have to disagree. I did some soul searching with Boardertown, and I don't think it had much potential at all. If anything, I wouldn't so much say it's a ripoff of Family Guy so much a ripoff of the awkward first seasons of American Dad. Only with "look at the stupid rednecks" instead of "Stan is an action hero post 9/11." At best, the show would have evolved into AD's wacky adventures with Stan being more sympathetic, and more even handed as the episodes evolved beyond "Stan's always wrong because he's a political persuasion we're strongly disagreeing with right now." And the thing is, I can't even say the show was bad since the little gags were a lot funnier and more likable than the premise. LOVED the Wario Lopez gag in the last episode I bothered watching. But the show really couldn't evolve beyond "Bud is stupid and angry" the way AD did. Plus, I couldn't find a character that wasn't somehow unlikable or poorly written. And somehow the art style reminded me of some old Sesame Street skits. The wizard that guarded the bridge and made someone eat all of his groceries. I kinda liked that, but the look was funnier than the writing. Still, it was better than most FG episodes were as of late.

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
Bob's Burgers is my favorite show. I've watched it since 2013 and seen every episode. I LOVE BOB'S BURGERS!

mr3urious

Reaction score
This is really the little show that could. Now, I do love The Simpsons no matter how iffy the quality of later episodes are. I mean, I grew up with the show since the Tracy Ullman days, so I can't really harbor any ill will towards it.
As much as The Simpsons has worn out its welcome, I feel that since the switch to HD, the show has gotten a little more watchable to me. Not seasons 2-8 levels of great, but certainly a lot better than when Mike Scully was running things.

But with the Belchers, I can't even pick a clear favorite. The entire family is so...I don't want to say "quirky" because that makes it sound precious. Eccentric? Whatever it is, the characters seem to be the perfect level of exaggerated and relatable.
I admit, I didn't like Gene as much as the other kids as his love of toilet humor can get a little excessive, but he eventually grew on me once the writers showcased his other talents, such as his love of musicals. His musical mashup of Die Hard and Working Girl was especially impressive. :smile:

The writers wouldn't be able to do that kind of humor because they worked on said cable shows. They have a more stand up comedian/improv (but the good kind) humor, and that style is what makes the show better. If anything, Fox's notes to not make them cannibals or Sweeny Todds was the best network meddling ever.
The proof-of-concept pilot also showed that Tina was meant to be a boy named Daniel (after his VA Dan Mintz), but the writers thought it would be better to have two daughters instead. Daniel did make a cameo in one of the comics, as you might be aware of.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
he eventually grew on me once the writers showcased his other talents, such as his love of musicals. His musical mashup of Die Hard and Working Girl was especially impressive. :smile:
So far my favorite song from the show, without a doubt is 'Electric Love", there's just something so mesmerizing and sweet and haunting about that song. It's silly and catchy, yet strangely beautiful.

The proof-of-concept pilot also showed that Tina was meant to be a boy named Daniel (after his VA Dan Mintz), but the writers thought it would be better to have two daughters instead. Daniel did make a cameo in one of the comics, as you might be aware of.
I think that was a very wise decision on the writers' part. Tina is a socially awkward and just all around weird female character that we so rarely get to see on TV. We've seen awkward male characters of all types, but somehow flipping the genders actually made her a more enduring character. I guess what's so refreshing about Linda, Tina and Louise, is that female characters on TV are usually the "straight man" of the group, but the girls on BB get to be as weird and eccentric as they want and they're not shamed for it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
As much as The Simpsons has worn out its welcome, I feel that since the switch to HD, the show has gotten a little more watchable to me. Not seasons 2-8 levels of great, but certainly a lot better than when Mike Scully was running things.
I was one of those "the show sucks now" types for a while, but I have to admit, a show that runs on as long as this series did, it's not going to be consistent quality. I do look towards the first 10 seasons with a wistful eye, and love the older episodes when I see them on the so called "Every Simpsons Ever" (they play a certain cluster of them over and over, so much for "Every Ever"), but I respect that the writers are trying, and every so often, there will be a good episode. But I've been with them so long, I just couldn't think of quitting the show, even when the episodes were lousy (especially the Sudds McDuff episode that came out like 20 years too late).

I admit, I didn't like Gene as much as the other kids as his love of toilet humor can get a little excessive, but he eventually grew on me once the writers showcased his other talents, such as his love of musicals. His musical mashup of Die Hard and Working Girl was especially impressive.
I actually liked the toilet humor he was obsessed with because that's exactly how that kind of kid acts. I'm glad they tempered it with just overall weird kidness. It's like someone made a better and more realistic version of Bobby Hill. Somehow, in any other show, he'd be treated as either the kid the bullies love to beat on, the one friend nobody likes, or even an older Ralph Wiggum. The writers, being the writers of this show, really get the nuance of being the weird kid, and give him a circle of friends so he never comes off as the kid you'd feel sorry for. I especially like how he even looks like the comedian that voices him. I'd say if I have to chose a favorite child, it's him, but Louise and Tina are not very far off behind.

Actually, on that note, I noticed something special about this show. While the adults have to deal with bullies (obviously Jimmy Pesto), the kids don't usually have to deal with them. In most of these shows they have that one jerk kid that picks on everybody. Not that there isn't that rival of Louise's that pops up from time to time, but no one really threatens the Belcher children, at least at their own age level. Maybe they know they'd incur Louise's wrath? Zeke could have easily been written as a knockoff of Nelson Muntz or Gian, but rather is their strange, folksy friend of a friend. Come to think of it, aside from Logan (who's more of a rival) the only bullies in the show I remember are the ones that were harassing Darryl. And really, I think this gives a more richness and personal level to the kid's relationships with other kids. They're often more adult than Bob and Jimmy get.

Besides not having them kill patrons for meat, the best choice they made was making Daniel into Tina. Sure, they could have had a nerdy boy character and the show would have been fine. Turning him into a girl and making her awkward instead of just nerdy gave the show pop and gave us the show's breakout character. I'm sure Daniel pining after a girl would have been well done judging by the writers, but it wouldn't have the zing of the Tina/J Jr. arcs. I'd say my favorite character trait of hers is her odd ability to not understand humor, but always trying to contribute to feel like a member of the group. Even around her own family, she's kinda awkward. And I really think that's a great dynamic. Gene and Louise are very bold personalities, Tina's contrasting not shy enough to be shy, but too hesitant to be fully out there makes the three characters work, off each other or as a group.\

But darned if I can't say if I had to pick favorites, Teddy would be one of mine. And a lot of that has to do with the great back and forth between Jon and Larry. If you have the first season DVD (the only one available for retail purchase), it has some recorded out takes of characters going on extended riffs and Ad libs. One was an extended take of Bob and Teddy get into a very heated argument until Bob shouts "GET OUT OF MY RESTAURANT YOU FAT ^&%^!!" with Teddy shouting back "IT'S A GLANDULAR PROBLEM!!" And that would come off as mean spirited, glad it didn't make it to the final cut, but you listen very carefully, and they're trying their darndest not to crack up. There's just something about the dynamic between those two. Not that the weird personality quirks they give Teddy aren't hilarious on their own. Love how he mentions that he can't sleep at night unless he dresses up as Santa, and never goes into why.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I love Bob's Burgers, it's one of the best shows on TV right now, and I'm so glad that it's been renewed through season 8. I first watched it one night after The Simpsons, it was the episode "Moody Foody", and I instantly got hooked. The 7:30 timeslot is a little annoying, in my opinion it's leauges above any new episode of The Simpsons or Family Guy. I would say my favorite character is Teddy. I hope the show continues to stay great and doesn't have a simpsons like decline in quality, but I doubt they will, the writers are great.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Also, I mentioned this in another thread before, but I give major props to Dan Mintz for writing "The Equestranauts". It could have been just nothing but a half an hour of the show making mean-spirited jokes about Bronies, but happened to gently poke fun of them in an even-handed fashion, and was a very well-researched parody of Friendship is Magic, too. It's only the crazier Equesticles-- namely, Bronconius-- who get slaughtered.

And you just gotta love Bob snapping at Tina to play with the toys he got back after he busted his flanks over them. I know I'd do that, too. :big_grin: