The Brand New Ask Jim Lewis Thread

AnimatedC9000

Reaction score
Personally, I think Steve was Dr. Teeth in that special. Then again, I haven't heard much of the newer material recently...

Oh, were we voting on Janice? ... I split my vote to all the possibilities you guys come up with. (most likely Matt Vogel, though)

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Well this really think about this. Now first we need to go with what we know.

1. Bill has been doing Dr. theeth sincnce MFS
2. Dave is still doing Zoot
3. Eric would be doing Animal

that leaves Steve as the only core Muppeters without a band membere (Not Counting Lips)
That also leaves Janice and Floyd with out a helper so to speak.

Now what we think we know

After hear Floyd's line so many times in just the past few days there is not dought in my mind that it is Jerry. I think we all can almost agree on that as well.

Hearing Scooter's voice in the latest Studio DC over and over some of us (Me inculded) have determaned that it was David Rudman.
Now the more i think about it if you take the roughness of his Cookie Monster voice i think it would almost sound like Janice or the Janice we heard. So all joking aside I'm going to change what i said about Eric and go with Ryan on this. I vote David Rudman as well.

So we have 2 for David, and 1 for Matt Vogel. That would almost be my second gusses if i really thought about it hard eough.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
A question for yonder Jim Lewis...

How did Rizzo and Pepe become such close friends? Will Pepe discuss that in his book? I guess I'll also ask you if there are any other great Muppet duos that you love to write for (Kermit and Fozzie, Gonzo and Rizzo, Johnny and Sal, Floyd and Sam... :wink:) or even if there's a duo you wish you could put together more? Thanks Jim! :big_grin:

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Hey Ryan,

Why don't ya send a batch of questions to Jim. I'm just not up to it today. I'll tell ya more about that at another time.

Leyla

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have a question for Jim... and ah, how cool is it that he'll actually answer us?

I like to write hither and thither, and I'm wondering what you like best about being a writer... oh, and since I asked that... what do you like least about it?

And, because I'm so ardently ushy gushy when it comes to Kermit and Piggy, I also wanted to know what you think of the frog/pig relationship?

Layla

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Questions for Jim Lewis (October 4, 2008)

From JimJudy…
Thanks for the answer, and I have another question. Who is your favorite, non-major Muppet, like background characters?

Favorite non-major Muppet background character in a supporting role? I can name no single character, but as a group I most like the Muppet Rats. They are always on their own agenda, no matter what’s happening with the main characters.

From BobthePizzaBoy…
Jim,

Were there any definite plans for a third season of Muppets Tonight or was the show pulled by Disney Channel before talks of a third season could begin, etc.?

The show was actually produced for the ABC network, not Disney Channel. But with regime changes at the network, it was sent off to serve out it run at Disney Channel (which was not then the powerhouse it has become.) We had an initial 13 episode run, then were picked up for 9 shows, then….into the ether. Perhaps someday DVD Box Set Complete Series heaven will beckon. I hope so.

From Colbynfriends…
A penguin with a stroke! That’s interesting. Next time I watch that, I'll have to look out for your character. So I was wondering, do you think that in the near future that Kermit will play the banjo for some reason? I mean, he played so beautifully in The Muppet Movie, but I haven't seen him play again. Also, while you’re talking about Clifford, do you think that Clifford would ever sit in with the Electric Mayhem again, or was that just a one time thing. Thanks for answering my questions.

You’re welcome. Love answering these. Makes me think, which is rare….. As for Kermit and the banjo: sure! I have no knowledge of an exact appearances wherein he’ll strum and pluck the banjo, but it’s one of his trademarks, a symbol of the good ol’ days in the swamp, so I’m sure banjo-playing will always be part of the Kermit’s repertoire. As for Clifford: I don’t see why he wouldn’t sit in when he’s available and the situation calls for it, but again, I don’t have any knowledge of an upcoming reunion concert.

From Dwayne…
(on the subject of Janice’s performer in Studio DC: Almost Live!)
So we have 2 [votes] for David Rudman and 1 for Matt Vogel. That would almost be my second guesses if I really thought about it hard enough.
(Can you shed any light?)

I would vote with the majority.

From theprawncracker…
A question for yonder Jim Lewis...

How did Rizzo and Pepe become such close friends? Will Pepe discuss what in his book? I guess I'll also ask you if there are any other great Muppet duos that you love to write for (Kermit and Fozzie, Gonzo and Rizzo, Johnny and Sal, Floyd and Sam...) or even if there's a duo you wish you could put together more? Thanks Jim!

Why are Rizzo and Pepe friends? They’re both dealing from the bottom of the deck, running scams, looking out for number one. They are both so deliciously self-serving. And when they are together, they have no respect for each other. They constantly carp (Rizzo about Pepe’s accent; Pepe about Rizzo being a rat). How could they not be friends?
Ad for other team-ups: the ones you mention are all wonderful. The Muppets are all about relationships – how characters interact and connect with each other. That’s what makes them so much like us. Putting two characters together is always better comedy, easier to write for…and more fun to watch.

From Layla (new question asker)…
Hi there,

I have a question for Jim... and ah, how cool is it that he'll actually answer us?

I like to write hither and thither, and I'm wondering what you like best about being a writer... oh, and since I asked that... what do you like least about it?

And, because I'm so ardently ushy gushy when it comes to Kermit and Piggy, I also wanted to know what you think of the frog/pig relationship?

I answer. I’m thrilled you think it’s cool.
As for being a writer. What I like best is discovering surprises. Take, for instance, the previous question about team-ups. Sometimes I’ll have to write a scene or a short piece wherein we have two characters and they have to get some message across. Okay, so I’ll put them in a place and start writing, not sure where it will go. I really let the characters -- as I understand them – do the talking. And sometimes in the course of this, I write dreck. But sometimes in the course of this, the characters go off into insane flights of inspired nonsense. And even I can’t figure out where it comes from.
What I like least: Notes that are all about grounding those insane flights of inspired nonsense and making things more “normal”. Sometimes there’s a good reason, but sometimes I think they’re just out to drive me mad. (A short drive, by the way.)

See, it’s questions like these – the ones that make me think – that make me enjoy these questions so much. - JL

JimJudy

Reaction score
Hey, JimJudy here again. Just wondering, but do you know how long it is to shoot Studio DC?

AnimatedC9000

Reaction score
Dear Jim,

If the Muppets ran the United States (or the world, whichever works better for you), who would be in each position of power? (ex. President, First Lady, Secretary of State, U.S. Representatives, etc.)

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Lets get a few more questions before i send them to Jim !

here is mine: I know we more then likely have talked aboiut this before but I would like to get your take on it once more. Kermit or any of the other Muppets for that matter, as Hosts. Do you think that they will ever Host a show again?