The breakfast cereal thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
Holy Cow.

Apparently Cookie Crook somehow was created when Cookie Jarvis the Wizard was still around. Here's a commercial with them co-existing.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I know Cocoa Krispies is just another flavor of Rice Krispies with Snap, Crackle, and Pop as the mascots, but didn't Cocoa Krispies used to be its own separate brand? I seem to recall so as a kid and that they used a monkey for the mascot.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Growing up in the 70's the mascot was an elephant named Tusk, but he wasn't as popular as Snap, Crackle and Pop. Before that, when Kellogg's was Hanna-Barbera's big sponsor, Snagglepuss was the pitchman.

Also lost in Mascot Limbo, we had Frosted Rice, hawked by Tony Jr. (yes, Tony had a son). The trouble with that cereal, whatever sugar compound they used to frost the cereal with, used to dissolve as soon as the milk touched it. So after you ate the cereal, the bottom of your bowl was like a layer of wet sand.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I know Cocoa Krispies is just another flavor of Rice Krispies with Snap, Crackle, and Pop as the mascots, but didn't Cocoa Krispies used to be its own separate brand? I seem to recall so as a kid and that they used a monkey for the mascot.
They kept flipflopping on that one. Sometimes Cocoa the Monkey would be there, sometimes it would be the same Rice Krispy guys. And those guys would be used for every variant of Krispies (marshmallow, fruity marshmallow, Treats cereal), just not Cocoa on a regular basis.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Another thing I find odd about cereal commercials is towards the end, when they show the cereal is "part of a complete/nutritious/balanced/whatever breakfast," they usually include a glass of orange juice and/or a glass of milk with the cereal. Now the orange juice I can understand, I know for a lot of people it's a morning staple like coffee is for some . . . but why the inclusion of an additional glass of milk when there's already milk in the cereal and you can just as easily drink what's left in the bowl after you've finished the cereal?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm not someone who enjoys much drinking the milk left after cereal, so I usually use just enough to get the cereal moist enough. Unless, of course, the cereal's chocolate, in which case I have every intention of drinking it and dump as much milk as I can into the bowl. Sometimes cereals do need that extra glass of milk on the side if it's a cereal that withstands moisture (Cap'n Crunch for me, usually) or if you get a cereal that has a taste rich enough.

I'm on the other side since I can't really eat oranges or drink their juice and milk that close to each other without getting sick. Ditto apple juice. I personally only drink juice if I'm having something more savory, say even a bagel, or sometimes pancakes.

I've also noticed that they've backed off on saying "complete breakfast" and say "good breakfast." A big breakfast full of protein is better for you than cereal, though frankly I can't handle a big breakfast most of the time (weak morning stomach), and a light cereal breakfast, sometimes with toast or small breakfast pastry, is what I prefer.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
though frankly I can't handle a big breakfast most of the time (weak morning stomach), and a light cereal breakfast, sometimes with toast or small breakfast pastry, is what I prefer.
Same here, which is why if there's plans for a big breakfast, I really need advanced notice (at least the night before) so I can mentally prepare my stomach for it, otherwise, if I suddenly have to eat a big breakfast when I'm so accustomed to eating cereal for breakfast, I go into Filburt mode if you know what I mean.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
It seems hard to have a big breakfast ( my ultimate: corned beef hash and eggs, home fries, and toast. New Jersey is the Diner Capital of the universe) and squeeze cereal in there too.
But a small bowl the Night before can work.

Milk and juice don't always play nice with my stomach either. I've never been much for putting fruit on cereal either. The dried berries on Special K is close enough.