The Buildings of SS

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Well, in the Muppets thread we've all discussed how the layout of the Muppet Theater would be--and are still discussing it!

But, I began wondering about the buildings of Sesame Street.

We know where, in 123, Ernie and Bert live in the basement and Susan and Gordon's apartment is above their's--we've seen inside Gordon and Susan's apartment, inside Ernie and Bert's apartment...we know which side of the building they all live.

Then, on the opposite side of the building is where Big Bird's nest is, with that little window above his nest and--from that window--Gordon and Susan appears.

Question: is Gordon and Susan's apartment just really shaped weird (they appear there having cooked or waking up in the morning like it's a bedroom), or is it a maintenance hallway there and they just walk down there with a pot/pan in hand or just walk down there to speak to Big Bird after just waking up and stretching at the window?

Does Maria live above Gordon and Susan, or across from them, or upstairs on the same side of the building as Oscar's trashcan and Big Bird's nest?

And what's downstairs opposite Ernie and Bert? Laundry? Basement? What?

How does Bob get upstairs to his apartment above Mr. Hooper's store? That door between the store and the Mail-It Shop? What's upstairs over the mail-it shop?

What do you think?

muppetperson

Reaction score
I can only answer one question, Maria lives on the second floor of 123 above Susan and Gordon.I havent watch Sesame Street for ages, but I take it that the Fix-it shop is now the post-it shop? Hasnt Sesame Street stopped production as it was, and gone into a human less(or very limited) cast with spin off series like "Elmo's World" and "Play Sesame" (or something)?

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Fix-it Shop is now the Mail-It Shop, and they have cut back on the human cast a lot. I don't recall seeing much Bob, Maria, Gordon, Susan, Linda, Gina, or very many others lately.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Few answers...
Yes, the human cast has been cut back... And yet, they still manage to get some new bit-part guest actors for one-time appearances, adding to the human cast at the same time.
The Fix-It-Shop was changed to the onstreet post office, the Mail-It-Shop... But it's been made known that it'll change back to the good old Fix-It-Shop for Season 37 premiereing on 8/14/2006.
Not sure if it's opposite Bert and Ernie's apartment in the basement, but I remember an old episode from early 80's where Susan went downstairs to the basement area of 1-2-3 Sesame Street and it was indeed a laundry area.
Hope this helps somewhat.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Another answer to Fozzie's question...

Yes, Bob does get to his apartment by the door between the Mail-It-Shop and Hooper's.

Here's some more info about eh SS buildings I'd like to share...

The "carriage house" in the arbor is now obviously Gina's vet office. The room above it is a storage room. The apartments between the carriage house and 123 house Telly on the bottom floor and Zoe on the top floor. (I think Gina lives on that floor as well) I happen to think that those apartments are extended from 123.

The little red apartment next to Hooper's is obviously where Elmo lives (in the second apartment on the top floor.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
So... Which one of those is 4-5-6 Sesame Street?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Apparently, the entire building consisting of Hooper's Store, Bob's apartment, and the Mail-It-Shop is 456 Sesame Street. (After all, Big Bird and Oscar's addresses are also 123 Sesame Street.)

However, when they had around the corner, Gina's daycare center was 456.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh... You mean the SS Day Care Center, first tended to by Lillian, then Angela, and finally Gina. If I remember correctly, there was another similar thread here, where someone said that in the SS Treasury books a bio stated Prairie Dawn living in 4-5-6 Sesame Street as well.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I have always wondered how Gordan and Susan can live on one side of the building and then when ever Big Bird needs one if them, the open the window inside his nest on the which is on the other of the stoop from where the exterior of their apartment is shown.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
I don't think there's a real explanation for it other than that's just the way it is.