The Charlie Brown and Snoopy Thread!

Beakerfan

Reaction score
Violet and Frieda were very substantial characters - Frieda moreso.

For as long as Peanuts ran, I think it was a very wise choice to bring in so many "smaller" characters - they were all memorable because Mr. Schulz brought them back every now and then, so no one had a chance to really forget them. One of my favorite smaller characters has always been Shermy. I think he helped find a balance between the extreme sweetness of characters like Sally and the moodiness of characters like Lucy.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
LUCY: Shermy, you're a sheapard.
SHERMY: Every Christmas it's the same... I always wind up playing a sheapard.

dwmckim

Reaction score
The minor characters

In the beginning, it was Shermy, Patty (not Peppermint Patty who came later but Violet's blond friend Patty), Charlie Brown and Snoopy. Charlie was portrayed as younger than the other two kids. Violet came next (same age group as Patty/Sherman). Then Lucy was introduced (younger than the others including Charlie Brown) and later her baby brother Linus. Roughly around the same time Schroeder was introduced as a baby.

I think a combination of Charlie Brown and the newer characters having such strong personalities and Violet/Patty/Sherman being older than the rest of them led to V/P/S eventually fading and not used much unless they needed more kids for larger crowd scenes/extra characters. Violet and Patty retained kind of their "bully" aspects picking on Charlie Brown when they were used.

Some of the other minor characters had distinct personalities but were also limited in scope having traits that basically defined them as opposed to being more dimensional so they remained minor. Pig-Pen's dirtiness was the only thing about his character. Frieda's obsession with her naturally curly hair was hers (though she had some more bits like her insistence that Snoopy should chase rabbits and getting a cat).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Some of the other minor characters had distinct personalities but were also limited in scope having traits that basically defined them as opposed to being more dimensional so they remained minor. Pig-Pen's dirtiness was the only thing about his character. Frieda's obsession with her naturally curly hair was hers (though she had some more bits like her insistence that Snoopy should chase rabbits and getting a cat).
I know that Pig-Pen became more popular than Charles Schultz wanted him to be, so he lasted throughout the run, even though he wasn't used much. It seems like Franklin wasn't used much, either, evne though he was also in the strip up until 1999.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
In the beginning, it was Shermy, Patty (not Peppermint Patty who came later but Violet's blond friend Patty), Charlie Brown and Snoopy.
It's interesting... Whenever Patty appeared in color, her hair looked brown, yet it wasn't made dark/ shaded in the black and white strips. Then again, Peppermint Patty's hair wasn't dark in black and white.

Yorick

Reaction score
On "The Charlie Brown & Snoopy Show", I always loved the episode "Snoopy's Robot"! And as for Shermy's comment on the beloved 60's Christmas special, I always thought, "Well Shermy, just be glad you're in this special. It seems you were never on TV after that."

Drtooth

Reaction score
On "The Charlie Brown & Snoopy Show", I always loved the episode "Snoopy's Robot"!
I saw that one a month or so back... I have a slight pet peeve when the title of an episode has to do with about 2 minutes of action near the end of the episode/skit. Really seemed to be about Computer Camp more than robots. But I do enjoy that one.

Man, I still have the oldest clam shell encased VHS of the show. I can't even remember who put them out, but I do remember we had to return one of them after we bought it because my family didn't know about the "Adjust Tracking" on the VCR yet, and we thought it was the tape.

I just don't have immediate access to the thing...

I also had the VHS of "Charlie Brown Celebration" the hour (or so) long collection of small skits hosted by Schulz himself. It was the one time in animation Charlie Brown kicked the Football.... well, not quite. He kicked Lucy's hand.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It's been announced that Peanuts 1970s Collection Vol. 2 will come out on june 1. So the rest of the '70s specials will be released by then.

Also, I don't know how I missed this information (was anybody else aware?), but I found out that You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown was recently released on DVD. Details here: http://fivecentsplease.org/tv/peanuts-tv.html

Drtooth

Reaction score
I skipped the other releases for the time being... but NO WAY am I gonna pass that one up. This one has NO double dipping (why6 I didn't get the others yet) from the 3 pack holiday collection I got years ago, and it has "What a Nightmare" which is one I've been looking for everywhere... I only found it completely in Spanish or the first 9 minutes in Japanese.

Wonder if they're going to put the odd live action/animated special from the 80's that's all about Spike.