1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

The Chipmunks' Triumphant Return

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by D'Snowth, Apr 23, 2007.

1. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I just recently discovered that sometime later this year, Alvin and the Chipmunks will be making another comeback with an all-new movie: the only thing is it's unconfirmed on whether it's going to be strictly animated, or a combination of animation/live action stuff like the two Scooby-Doo movies.
  2. anytimepally

anytimepally Active Member

Here's what Ross Bagdasarian, Jr's (the voice of the chipmunks since his father died in 1972) wikipedia page says about it.. I know wikipedia is the world's most reliable source, so take this as you will :rolleyes: :

"Currently, Bagdasarian is producing a live-action film version of Alvin and the Chipmunks, featuring computer-animated Chipmunks, and a live-action David Seville. It is reportedly in development by 20th Century Fox, and scheduled to be released in theatres around 2007."
  3. D'Snowth

Actually, I heard about this at IMDb...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0952640/

The only genre listed is "Animation", though the current cast list has a few people listed as character (NOT the voices of) where as you've got credits for "The voices of Alvin, Simon, et cetera..."
  4. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

::shrugs:: I don't understand the recent trend with bringing back old kid's shows for the movies, but then putting them in a completely different enviornment, such as live action or in the real world. The writing's either been poor or the audiences were confused.

Fat Albert is one example. It was OK, but I think it might have been more successful if they'd kept it as a cartoon. They brought the characters into a new situation before today's kids even knew who they originally were! Rocky and Bullwinkle another example, as bad as it could possibly be! They should have stuck with what worked.

I hate to say it, but they're doing the same thing with the Fraggle Rock movie, bringing the characters out of their element before today's kids even get a chance to know them. I really hope it's done better than Fat Albert.

Heh, one of the few good moments in the Fat Albert film, "When you try to be something you're not, you lose the essence of who you are."
  5. D'Snowth

Let us not forget the two Garfield movies...:rolleyes:
  6. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Yes that too, good point.
  7. anytimepally

anytimepally Active Member

it does look like live action / animation because normally Ross Bagdasarian Jr., who does Alvin & Simon, would also be doing David Seville.. and his wife Janice Karman, listed only as doing Theodore will likely also do the voices of Brittany, Jeanette, & Eleanor if they're included in the movie
  8. Speed Tracer

Speed Tracer Well-Known Member

About a month ago, Jason Lee was cast as Dave Seville, the Chipmunks adopted father. It was confirmed that all the humans are live-action with the Chipmunks being computer animated.
  9. D'Snowth

Jason Lee? As Dave? JASON LEE?! I don't think so...
  10. Speed Tracer

Neither do I, but I think that our reasonings behind saying so are different.
  11. D'Snowth

I don't know your reasonings, but then again, I honestly haven't seen anything related to the Chipmunks in a long time, but if I remember what Dave was like, I just don't believe Jason Lee would be the right choice.
  12. Speed Tracer

My reasoning is that I love Jason Lee very much, and I love the Chipmunks too, but I can't help but feel that this is a step in the wrong direction for both of them.
  13. D'Snowth

Hmm, yeah, I won't argue with you there.
  14. Speed Tracer

Then again, the director is Tim Hill. And he did a really bang-up job of directing Muppets From Space... and even though I may get flogged for this, I didn't think that Garfield: A Tale of Two Kitties and Max Keeble's Big Move were awful. Not great, but certainly not bad.

We'll simply have to see.
  15. D'Snowth

Yeah, Tim Hill's pretty good, so maybe, JUST maybe this might not be too bad...
  16. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Well heres the thing and i think this could also aplly to the muppets. The people who know cartoons and shows from the 80's are all grown up. Yet they would love to see the old shows all new again, Yet the people in the movie bussness are into a younger generation. and this "re intordceing" thing is what it is all about. If people have not seen the cartoons for a long time then they will change or re do them with new voices or story lines.
  17. D'Snowth

I need a memory refresher since I have seen these guys in a long time: I know Dave adopted the Chipmunks, but who adopted the Chipettes? Did he adopt them too?
  18. Speed Tracer

I think they lived by themselves.

In a treehouse.
  19. D'Snowth

Okay... that's odd, I was thinking they too had an adoptive guardian, but I guess not.
  20. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

No! Your right! They lived up a tree at first, but the very disfuntional Miss miller adopted them. Thet always help her kee thins in order because she is always messing things up. And she is alwayas about to step on, knock somthing over on, or sit on her poor Kittie cat! She was so darn funny and lovable, hehe!:zany: An unforgettible character.:D