1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

The Christmas Toy on DVD, No Release?

Discussion in 'Family Worlds' started by Rugby, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Rugby

Rugby Member

What is the deal here? Muppet Family Christmas DVD is out of print and is selling for big bucks on ebay and the Region 2 version that is uncut and includes The Christmas Toy is going for huge HUGE bucks on ebay! Why can't they re-release these and give us Region 1 fans The Christmas Toy on DVD? My plan is to find a copy of the Region 2 disc and rip it to another DVD so that it is region free or else trade somebody something for a copy of the Region 2 disc since they just simply flat out refuse to put this one out for us. We've only been asking for how many years now? Is HIT! still in charge of this one? It's ridiculous and sad that all these great Christmas specials are going out of print. What's next to hit the OOP list? Christmas Eve on Sesame Street? :grouchy:
  2. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I think it was rumored that Hit! was planning a DVD release back in 2006, but I guess it was either just a rumor, or Hit! cancled it's plans (Hit! also cancled plans for additional volumes of Mother Goose Stories).
  3. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

I do agree, it's a dreadful shame. I really hope they decide to release it in the future.
  4. There's still a way that you can get it....listen to the MuppetCast this week my friends :)
  5. maniacal muppet

maniacal muppet Active Member

Well, I got the MFC/TCT version on Ebay a few years ago. It's a bootleg, but it has some parts in MFC that weren't in the other re-releases and it has an alternate opening for TCT too.
  6. Radar

Radar New Member

Last Christmas I bought the region 2 Muppet Family Christmas/Christmas Toy DVD from Ebay. It is not a bootleg. Luckily, my dvd player is multi-region one and I am able to watch it. Its great having it on DVD! ... I did spend a pretty penny on it though :(

I also think its really a shame that The Christmas Toy has not been (properly) released on DVD! It is my all-time favourite Christmas special... and I can't be the only one who likes it. :)
  7. maniacal muppet

maniacal muppet Active Member

Ahh. Don't worry, you aren't. :)
  8. heralde

Definitely, it's always been my favorite Muppet Christmas special. I bought it recently from a third party seller on Amazon.com. I know a lot of copies are still available, if you feel comfortable going that route. But yeah, I do wish they'd give the special the DVD treatment. :)
  9. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

Well, since most of the Henson properties (all versions of the Muppets, the UK version of Fraggle Rock, etc.) are owned by Disney and Disney co-made Toy Story with Pixar, and the plotline for that is basically straight up lifted from the premise of The Christmas Toy (an old toy is jealous over possibly getting replaced in his owner's heart by a new toy, but realizes in the end that all toys have a place of their own in the hearts of the children that care for them), I don't see the latter being released any time soon.
  10. heralde

Heh, you noticed that too? ;)
  11. Luke

Luke Active Member

No, the UK version of Fraggle is definitely not owned by Disney. All Fraggle is owned by Henson and licensed to HIT Entertainment.
  12. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

Well, Disney doesn't neccessarily own the Fraggle rights, but I've heard it does own what was once the company that distributed the original UK version of the series that now airs on the UK Boomerang (too bad that the one on the Boom is not the actual UK version, it is actually the American version).
  13. Luke

Luke Active Member

Hey, no wherever you heard that was wrong. It was made by Jim Henson Productions directly for the ITV Network in the UK, i think it was commisioned through the TVS region here but there's definitely no Disney involvement with any of those companies.
  14. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

Thanks for the clarification.