The Christmas Toy Re-Release on 10/8/2013

panmanthe2nd

Reaction score
Hi all,

Sorry if this has already been posted, but I've just seen that a re-release of 'The Christmas Toy' is up for preorder on Amazon with a release date of October 8, 2013.

I'm hoping it will be uncut, but it's unlikely.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yeah, if it's edited, and lacking Kermit's scenes, I don't want it.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
The listed running time reflects the edited version. Unfortunately this is the deal Disney and Henson struck at the time of the sale of the Muppets.

Drtooth

Reaction score
This is why I wish Lionsgate was still in the picture. They were clearly a liaison for both Henson and Disney (for releasing their turdcoms from the 00 era no one actually wanted), and I bet they would have had some deal to keep Kermit in tact. After all, they managed to get Henson's Place out.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
This is why I wish Lionsgate was still in the picture. They were clearly a liaison for both Henson and Disney (for releasing their turdcoms from the 00 era no one actually wanted), and I bet they would have had some deal to keep Kermit in tact. After all, they managed to get Henson's Place out.
The Kermit omissions from Emmet Otter and Christmas Toy are direct contractual instructions from the Disney buyout of the Muppets. Those pages are somewhere on the web. I think Henson's Place (unedited) was retained by Henson. I could be mistaken, but I don't believe any of these decisions have anything with the distributor.

JonnyBMuppetMan

Reaction score
Here's the passage concerning Emmet Otter and Christmas Toy, etched in stone. [link]

I was just thinking today about how Henson was already omitting most of Kermit's scenes in the 1990's edit of Otter before the buy-out. Seems to me like they thought his other cameos were superfluous; his narrator role was less integral in these cases than it was in the Muppetland specials.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
I recently gave the last release of Xmas Toy to my cousin's children, because of the Kermit omission. I taped it off of Nickelodeon years ago WITH Kermit's scenes included, and recently transferred it to DVD. So I'd rather keep the real thing in a bit lesser video quality than the cleaner/edited one. Not that Kermit is an integral part to the story, but it's just nice to see him there.

CanaceErinn

Reaction score
As much as I would love to own Christmas Toy on DVD since it's my favorite Christmas special, it just doesn't work without Kermit for me. :frown:

superboober

Reaction score
Suffice to say, that's probably the same for all of us. Who if anyone can we consider writing to--short of the president, even though he probably would have little if any time to wade into the matter when the country faces more important issues at present--to try and force a change in the present situation?