1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 18th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Christmas Shopping
    Support Muppet Central and get great deals for everyone on your list! From Blu-rays and DVDs to Plush and Toys to Collector's Books you'll find something for everyone.

4. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

The Classic Electric Company Memories Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Xerus, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Xerus

Xerus Well-Known Member

Does anyone remember a classic Electric Company musical skit called The Queen's Quartet? It's starts off with the Queen of England, played by Judy Graubart. She sat in her throne and wanted to spend some alone time with her captain of the guards, played by Skip Hinnant, who was in the throne next to her. Just then, the royal cook, played by Jim Boyd, wanted the queen to try his newest dish, then the royal seamstress played by Hattie Winston wanted to stitch up her royal dress. The royal hairdresser played by Rita Moreno stated doing the queen's hair and the royal doctor played by Morgan Freeman wanted to give her a check up. She tried to tell her servants to go away because she wanted some alone time with the captain, but they wouldn't listen and started to sing while a harpsicord played. "We're the very very best, in the north, south, east, and west. We're the finest you can bet, we're the best you've ever meet, we're the Queen's Quartert!" Rita: "HA HA HA!" "We're the Queen's Quartet!' SEAMSTRESS: "It the queen should get a tear in her royal underwear, I will sew sew sew sew sew!" DOCTOR: "If the queen should ever wake with a royal tummy ache, I will poke poke poke poke poke!" HAIRDRESSER: "If the queen should get a curl in her royal purple (hur), I will rinse rinse rinse rinse rinse." COOK: "If the queen should ever wish for a royal meatball dish, I will cook cook cook cook co-oo-oo-ook!" Then all 4 servants got together and started singing the opening again while twirling handkerchiefs and bowing to each other. While the queen and the captain just sat there annoyed.

Katzi428 and fuzzygobo like this.
  2. fuzzygobo

fuzzygobo Well-Known Member

I gotta hand it to you, Cullen. You remember an Electric Company clip that escapes my memory. That takes some doing.

I'll match you one. There's a partial audio that surfaced on YouTube of the Short Circus (Season 2 with Denise Nickerson) singing "Dunking Donuts" (not to be confused with the donut chain, which around here has a store on every corner). The kids sing about all the things you can dunk donuts in, even though Denise encourages "Dunk 'em in your soup". I dunno about dunking a Boston Cream in Italian Wedding soup.
    But this was one of the last skits set at Vi's Diner. After Season 2, Lee Chamberlin (as well as Denise and Douglas Grant) were gone.

3. Xerus

Xerus Well-Known Member

I remember that neat song too. I also remember the first sketch that inspired that song. June went into a donut shop run by Morgan Freeman. She asked for a dunked donut. Morgan took a donut and dunked it through a basketball hoop on the wall. June groaned, "I bet they don't get weirdos like that at Vi's Diner."

Then the Dunking Donuts sketch happened. Vi watched surprised as the Short Circus sang their song while dunking donuts in things like coffee, milk, soda, soup, and fruit juice. And when they left, Vi says, "We usually don't get weirdos like that in here.

4. Xerus

Xerus Well-Known Member

I remember this rare Letterman episode that I only saw one time. The Spellbinder was following a couple in a back seat of a car and they were newlyweds in LOVE. The Spellbinder decided to add a G and S to LOVE creating GLOVES. The couple suddenly had boxing gloves and started beating each other up with anger. Then Letterman came and removed the D from his sweater and turned GLOVES into DOVES. The couple got transformed into peaceful doves and were in love again. I'm not sure if that's a good thing Letterman did. Sure, the couple were in love again, but they got turned into birds!

And they probably never showed that episode again because of the scenes where the couple were violently punching each other.

fuzzygobo likes this.
  5. fuzzygobo

I remember that too. The newlyweds driving their car with the tin cans tied to the back, the bride gushing, "Isn't this wonderful!"
    Then the spellbinder gets in the act and they end up with the gloves punching the snot out of each other "Welcome to marriage, kids!"
    It's nice they got turned into doves at the end, but now the groom won't get his deposit back on his tux!

I'm still holding out for "Sweet Sue at the Sweet Shop".

6. Hayley B

Hayley B Well-Known Member

The first time I was introduced to Spiderman .

7. fuzzygobo

Ok Cullen. Here's one.

Judy is a waitress in a restaurant, Jim Boyd is a customer. For dessert, his choices are "Pie OR rice pudding". He can have one OR the other, not both. He chooses the rice pudding (so would I).
    Luis Avalos comes in as a robber, with a gun and a mask.

Points the gun in Jim's face and demands "Your money OR your life!"
    Jim thinks it over..."I'll take your money (so would I)!"
    Luis only has a few bucks, but hands his cash over.
    At least he gets Jim's rice pudding out of the deal.

8. Xerus

Xerus Well-Known Member

But the robber just gave Jim all of his money. He won't be able to pay for the rice pudding or Jim's whole meal and will probably have to wash dishes.

9. Xerus

Xerus Well-Known Member

Does anyone remember this classic Electric Company skit? We see Skip Hinnant standing next to a table that had the word FOR on it. He replied, "The word you see here will self destruct in 5 seconds. Can you read it before...." BOOM! The FOR exploded and smoke covered the room. A coughing Skip went backstage to Luis Avalos who was standing next to a huge fuse box. "How'd I do?" asked Luis. Skip tried to stay polite and smiling told Luis that he didn't give the viewers the 5 seconds to read the word and to wait 5 seconds to blow it up. Luis got the idea. So Skip went back to the table and took out another FOR. And he replied, "The word you see here will....." BOOM! Luis had blown up the word again, but only sooner. Skip still trying to maintain his smile told Luis to wait till he stops talking to the kids, count to 5, and then blow it up. So Skip returns to the table and takes out one last FOR and replies. "The word you see here will self destruct in 5 seconds. Can you read it before that happens?" 5 seconds had passed and no explosion. Skip saw Luis counting on his fingers. Skip sighed, took the FOR, and approached Luis and said patiently, "You were supposed to count 5 seconds and then blow it up. It's now 20 seconds and the word is still here!" "I got it!" said Luis, "The word is FOR." Skip just sighed while Luis proudly leaned on the pump of the fuse box by mistake and BOOM! The smoke cleared and Skip and Luis started coughing. "You okay, boss?" asked Luis. But Skip was still smiling politely, looking like he wanted to throttle Luis.

10. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

The first time I saw the Electric Company?

YouTube. :p

11. Hayley B

Hayley B Well-Known Member

Sorry I don't really remember much from the Electric Company, Cullen. Expect for what I just said this morning. That and I remember this lady not understanding what a Mime was. This Mime was trying to explain when he was and couldn't take it anymore and so he broke out of character.

12. Xerus

Xerus Well-Known Member

I grew up watching the Electric Company reruns during the 70's and half the 80's, so I remember a lot of the episodes. It had funny writing and great songs. The kids of today probably only have knowledge of what they saw on the TEC DVDS, youtube, and Amazon Prime. So I wanted to share my TEC memories here.

Hayley B likes this.
  13. Xerus

Xerus Well-Known Member

Here's the origin of Letterman. Animated by John and Faith Hubley. And starring Joan Rivers as the Narrator. Gene Wilder as Letterman. And Zero Mostel as the Spellbinder.

14. fuzzygobo

I got to see The Electric Company from the very beginning. In the fall of 1971, I was three, and already was a devout follower of Sesame Street and Mr. Rogers. Over the next few years, EC helped broaden my vocabulary, and served me well with reading, writing, and spelling.
    I always loved the Short Circus, especially the first two seasons,(with Irene Cara, then Denise Nickerson). "Sweet Sweet Sway" was good enough to be a legitimate pop hit. Leave The Partridge Family in the dust.8)

Pig's Laundry and Katzi428 like this.
  15. Katzi428

Katzi428 Well-Known Member

Count me in as one of the original Electric Company lovers!
    I get a kick out of the take off of some of the old shows they did : "Love Of Chair" (It was a take off of 1970s soap opera called "Love Of Life" ) 'The Six Dollar and and Thirty Nine Cent Man" ( "The Six Million Dollar Man") In a way Short Circus was supposed to be like Short Circuits (Get it? Electric Company? Short Circuit?;) )

Pig's Laundry likes this.
  16. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

I wasn't one of the original watchers of the show, but the first time I watched the show I was eight, I got a DVD from the library because I had vaguely heard of it and knew that that it was from the makers of Sesame Street. What really caught my eye was the fact that Morgan Freeman and Bill Cosby (it was a different time) were on the cover. So, I said, what the hey, but thought it would be a total waste of time. But almost as soon as I got home and fired up the DVD player I was glued! It was the strangest and most exciting thing knowing that the likes of Rita Moreno were on the same show as Spider-Man and The Blue Beetle (how'd they ever get the rights?). It was such a funny and unusual show, and it reminded me of classic SST so I kept watching. The sketches that stuck out to me the most were the Silent E song (my 8-year old brain thought it was the most clever song ever written) and that one Rita Moreno sketch where she played an over the top pop singer with that kid band as he backup singers. I think the song went something like "Unbutton your heart, unzip your lips, and tell me that you love me", something like that. I think Rita said that she was channeling Tina Turner. Anyway, I still get those songs stuck in my head a lot.

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  17. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

Did anybody hear about Denise Nickerson having a stroke in the ICU?

18. Xerus

Xerus Well-Known Member

Yes, I did. Wishing her healing.

19. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

I hope she gets better soon...

20. Xerus

Xerus Well-Known Member

Here's Denise Nickerson and the rest of the Short Circus singing, The Sweet Sweet Sway, FuzzyGobo had mentioned. TEC had really funny writing and skits. But there were times they took a break from silliness, just to sing some wonderful feel good songs.