The Classic Electric Company Memories Thread

Xerus

Reaction score
Does anyone remember a classic Electric Company musical skit called The Queen's Quartet? It's starts off with the Queen of England, played by Judy Graubart. She sat in her throne and wanted to spend some alone time with her captain of the guards, played by Skip Hinnant, who was in the throne next to her. Just then, the royal cook, played by Jim Boyd, wanted the queen to try his newest dish, then the royal seamstress played by Hattie Winston wanted to stitch up her royal dress. The royal hairdresser played by Rita Moreno stated doing the queen's hair and the royal doctor played by Morgan Freeman wanted to give her a check up. She tried to tell her servants to go away because she wanted some alone time with the captain, but they wouldn't listen and started to sing while a harpsicord played. "We're the very very best, in the north, south, east, and west. We're the finest you can bet, we're the best you've ever meet, we're the Queen's Quartert!" Rita: "HA HA HA!" "We're the Queen's Quartet!' SEAMSTRESS: "It the queen should get a tear in her royal underwear, I will sew sew sew sew sew!" DOCTOR: "If the queen should ever wake with a royal tummy ache, I will poke poke poke poke poke!" HAIRDRESSER: "If the queen should get a curl in her royal purple (hur), I will rinse rinse rinse rinse rinse." COOK: "If the queen should ever wish for a royal meatball dish, I will cook cook cook cook co-oo-oo-ook!" Then all 4 servants got together and started singing the opening again while twirling handkerchiefs and bowing to each other. While the queen and the captain just sat there annoyed.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I gotta hand it to you, Cullen. You remember an Electric Company clip that escapes my memory. That takes some doing.

I'll match you one. There's a partial audio that surfaced on YouTube of the Short Circus (Season 2 with Denise Nickerson) singing "Dunking Donuts" (not to be confused with the donut chain, which around here has a store on every corner). The kids sing about all the things you can dunk donuts in, even though Denise encourages "Dunk 'em in your soup". I dunno about dunking a Boston Cream in Italian Wedding soup.
But this was one of the last skits set at Vi's Diner. After Season 2, Lee Chamberlin (as well as Denise and Douglas Grant) were gone.

Xerus

Reaction score
I gotta hand it to you, Cullen. You remember an Electric Company clip that escapes my memory. That takes some doing.

I'll match you one. There's a partial audio that surfaced on YouTube of the Short Circus (Season 2 with Denise Nickerson) singing "Dunking Donuts" (not to be confused with the donut chain, which around here has a store on every corner). The kids sing about all the things you can dunk donuts in, even though Denise encourages "Dunk 'em in your soup". I dunno about dunking a Boston Cream in Italian Wedding soup.
But this was one of the last skits set at Vi's Diner. After Season 2, Lee Chamberlin (as well as Denise and Douglas Grant) were gone.
I remember that neat song too. I also remember the first sketch that inspired that song. June went into a donut shop run by Morgan Freeman. She asked for a dunked donut. Morgan took a donut and dunked it through a basketball hoop on the wall. June groaned, "I bet they don't get weirdos like that at Vi's Diner."

Then the Dunking Donuts sketch happened. Vi watched surprised as the Short Circus sang their song while dunking donuts in things like coffee, milk, soda, soup, and fruit juice. And when they left, Vi says, "We usually don't get weirdos like that in here.

Xerus

Reaction score
I remember this rare Letterman episode that I only saw one time. The Spellbinder was following a couple in a back seat of a car and they were newlyweds in LOVE. The Spellbinder decided to add a G and S to LOVE creating GLOVES. The couple suddenly had boxing gloves and started beating each other up with anger. Then Letterman came and removed the D from his sweater and turned GLOVES into DOVES. The couple got transformed into peaceful doves and were in love again. I'm not sure if that's a good thing Letterman did. Sure, the couple were in love again, but they got turned into birds!

And they probably never showed that episode again because of the scenes where the couple were violently punching each other.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I remember this rare Letterman episode that I only saw one time. The Spellbinder was following a couple in a back seat of a car and they were newlyweds in LOVE. The Spellbinder decided to add a G and S to LOVE creating GLOVES. The couple suddenly had boxing gloves and started beating each other up with anger. Then Letterman came and removed the D from his sweater and turned GLOVES into DOVES. The couple got transformed into peaceful doves and were in love again. I'm not sure if that's a good thing Letterman did. Sure, the couple were in love again, but they got turned into birds!

And they probably never showed that episode again because of the scenes where the couple were violently punching each other.
I remember that too. The newlyweds driving their car with the tin cans tied to the back, the bride gushing, "Isn't this wonderful!"
Then the spellbinder gets in the act and they end up with the gloves punching the snot out of each other "Welcome to marriage, kids!"
It's nice they got turned into doves at the end, but now the groom won't get his deposit back on his tux!

I'm still holding out for "Sweet Sue at the Sweet Shop".

Hayley B

Reaction score
The first time I was introduced to Spiderman .

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Ok Cullen. Here's one.

Judy is a waitress in a restaurant, Jim Boyd is a customer. For dessert, his choices are "Pie OR rice pudding". He can have one OR the other, not both. He chooses the rice pudding (so would I).
Luis Avalos comes in as a robber, with a gun and a mask.

Points the gun in Jim's face and demands "Your money OR your life!"
Jim thinks it over..."I'll take your money (so would I)!"
Luis only has a few bucks, but hands his cash over.
At least he gets Jim's rice pudding out of the deal.

Xerus

Reaction score
Ok Cullen. Here's one.

Judy is a waitress in a restaurant, Jim Boyd is a customer. For dessert, his choices are "Pie OR rice pudding". He can have one OR the other, not both. He chooses the rice pudding (so would I).
Luis Avalos comes in as a robber, with a gun and a mask.

Points the gun in Jim's face and demands "Your money OR your life!"
Jim thinks it over..."I'll take your money (so would I)!"
Luis only has a few bucks, but hands his cash over.
At least he gets Jim's rice pudding out of the deal.
But the robber just gave Jim all of his money. He won't be able to pay for the rice pudding or Jim's whole meal and will probably have to wash dishes.

Xerus

Reaction score
Does anyone remember this classic Electric Company skit? We see Skip Hinnant standing next to a table that had the word FOR on it. He replied, "The word you see here will self destruct in 5 seconds. Can you read it before...." BOOM! The FOR exploded and smoke covered the room. A coughing Skip went backstage to Luis Avalos who was standing next to a huge fuse box. "How'd I do?" asked Luis. Skip tried to stay polite and smiling told Luis that he didn't give the viewers the 5 seconds to read the word and to wait 5 seconds to blow it up. Luis got the idea. So Skip went back to the table and took out another FOR. And he replied, "The word you see here will....." BOOM! Luis had blown up the word again, but only sooner. Skip still trying to maintain his smile told Luis to wait till he stops talking to the kids, count to 5, and then blow it up. So Skip returns to the table and takes out one last FOR and replies. "The word you see here will self destruct in 5 seconds. Can you read it before that happens?" 5 seconds had passed and no explosion. Skip saw Luis counting on his fingers. Skip sighed, took the FOR, and approached Luis and said patiently, "You were supposed to count 5 seconds and then blow it up. It's now 20 seconds and the word is still here!" "I got it!" said Luis, "The word is FOR." Skip just sighed while Luis proudly leaned on the pump of the fuse box by mistake and BOOM! The smoke cleared and Skip and Luis started coughing. "You okay, boss?" asked Luis. But Skip was still smiling politely, looking like he wanted to throttle Luis.