The Classic Electric Company Memories Thread

Xerus

Reaction score
The next time Rita went into that office, she had to face the gauntlet of Grumble, Growl, and Grunt.

Once Skip and Jim were dressed up as clowns. Jim was wearing a barrel because someone stole his pants.
Skip is standing at a fork in the road. One arrow points, left, the other right.
Jim wants to catch the pants robber, and Skip tells him he went left.
Jim:"So if I wanna catch the guy who stole my pants, I gotta go left!"
Skip (nodding in agreement): "Right!"
Then the routine begins, Jim getting angrier each time.
After three or four times, Jim finally gives up in frustration.
"I'm not going to the right, nor to the left!"
Skip:"Well, where are you going ?"
Jim:"I'm going crazy!!!!"
Skip shrugs him off: "Fine, go crazy. You won't find your pants that way!"

The same two clowns (this time Jim has pants) appear again.
Jim has a letter to mail, and asks Skip for a stamp.
Skip is happy to oblige and gives Jim a stamp.
Right on his foot.
Slapstick comedy never gets old.
I remember in the "GO LEFT," skit. When it first started, we see a close up of a flower. At first, I thought it was going to take place in a garden. Until, I heard Jim's voice going, "Hey, Mister!" Then we see it was actually Jim in a barrel and the flower was in his derby.

Xerus

Reaction score
Does anyone remember this classic Letterman episode? The Spellbinder is in a restaurant and he sees a man at a table enjoying some soup. So SB decides to change the SOUP into SOAP. And the man finds himself eating soap and getting covered with soap suds. Spellbinder laughs, "That's right, alphabet soap! Wash that down your throat!" Luckily, Letterman was at the restaurant working part time as a waiter, until he noticed the guy covered with suds. So he hid under the tablecloth, leapt out, while the narrator narrated, "Out of a table he comes....." Then Letterman removes the OU from his chest and turns SOAP back into SOUP. The man loved the soup and told Letterman, "You must give me the recipe." Letterman replied, "I will, I will." Then we see the Spellbinder kicking the kitchen doors and we hear a lot of dishes breaking and replies, "Now I feel a little better."

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
In the same restaurant we see a kid having "DESSERT". A giant hot fudge sundae, whipped cream, cherry, the whole deal. Spellbinder removes an S and the kid finds himself alone in the "DESERT"!
Kid starts bawling his eyes out.
SB was there and comforts him. "Don't cry. I'M here!" Luckily Letterman fixes the word and the kid has his DESSERT again.

Another time (same restaurant) Letterman and a rich couple are enjoying "CUSTARD". SB changes it to "MUSTARD". The couple has flames shooting out of their mouth, while Letterman sits there with this vacant look on his face. After leaving his spot to outrun rolling O, lift silent E, leap capital T, Letterman gets down to business of removing the C from his varsity sweater making "CUSTARD" again.

Practical hint: if you ever eat something spicy that burns your mouth, eat something with dairy in it, or drink milk. Just drinking water will not put the fire out.

Xerus

Reaction score
In the same restaurant we see a kid having "DESSERT". A giant hot fudge sundae, whipped cream, cherry, the whole deal. Spellbinder removes an S and the kid finds himself alone in the "DESERT"!
Kid starts bawling his eyes out.
SB was there and comforts him. "Don't cry. I'M here!" Luckily Letterman fixes the word and the kid has his DESSERT again.

Another time (same restaurant) Letterman and a rich couple are enjoying "CUSTARD". SB changes it to "MUSTARD". The couple has flames shooting out of their mouth, while Letterman sits there with this vacant look on his face. After leaving his spot to outrun rolling O, lift silent E, leap capital T, Letterman gets down to business of removing the C from his varsity sweater making "CUSTARD" again.

Practical hint: if you ever eat something spicy that burns your mouth, eat something with dairy in it, or drink milk. Just drinking water will not put the fire out.
I remember those episodes. When Spellbinder changes the custard into mustard, he goes, "There's going to be a hot time in the old mouth tonight!!" The wife's face turns red and the husband puffs out smoke. Letterman didn't have any letters with him, so he grabs a candle holder on the table that's shaped like a C and uses it to turn MUSTARD back into CUSTARD. And the Spellbinder goes outside and strangles a lamppost out of anger.

Xerus

Reaction score
Here's the dessert into desert episode.

Xerus

Reaction score
There was another restaurant episode where Spellbinder was a table shouting for a waiter. A waiter arrives and SB shouts, "Waiter, I want some waiter, no, I mean water!" Then that gives SB an idea. He takes away the I in WAITER, turning the waiter into a giant glass of WATER. The Spellbinder cackles as he looks at his reflection in the water and says, "I'll need a giant straw!"
Letterman was at another table looking at a menu and says, "Let's see, I had the spinach last time." Spellbinder goes, "Spinach? YUCH!" Letterman sees what SB had done and removes the I from his sweater and turns the WATER back into a WAITER. The waiter calmly tells the Spellbinder, "I'm sorry sir, but it looks like you'll have to eat out. Out of here." The waiter throws the Spellbinder out into a pile of trashcans and starts rolling down the hill.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
One cartoon I always loved was the man trying to order a sweet roll, thinking the waitress was saying they were out of the drinks he wanted.

I think the people who animated the Yellow Submarine movie animated that cartoon.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
One cartoon I always loved was the man trying to order a sweet roll, thinking the waitress was saying they were out of the drinks he wanted.

I think the people who animated the Yellow Submarine movie animated that cartoon.
Yes, the geezer who orders the sweet roll does look like Old Fred from Yellow Submarine.

There was a live remake with Morgan Freeman (who says this man can't act?!!!) as the customer, Hattie Winston as the waitress.
"Ham and eggs".
"We are out of eggs".

You see where this is going.
Bacon, sausage, and hash get ordered, but no eggs.
"Okay, I'll just have eggs".
Hattie runs into the kitchen screaming.

"...or maybe a sweet roll".

BTW, how does a diner run out of eggs?

Xerus

Reaction score
Yes, the geezer who orders the sweet roll does look like Old Fred from Yellow Submarine.

There was a live remake with Morgan Freeman (who says this man can't act?!!!) as the customer, Hattie Winston as the waitress.
"Ham and eggs".
"We are out of eggs".

You see where this is going.
Bacon, sausage, and hash get ordered, but no eggs.
"Okay, I'll just have eggs".
Hattie runs into the kitchen screaming.

"...or maybe a sweet roll".

BTW, how does a diner run out of eggs?
There was another skit featuring Morgan and Hattie as the geezer and the waitress.

Geezer: "I'd like a sandwich."
Waitress: "One sandwich. But what kind?"
Geezer: "A big sandwich."
Waitress: "One big sandwich. But what kind?"
Geezer: "A yummy sandwich."
Waitress: "One big yummy sandwich. But what kind?"
Geezer: "A lipsmacking sandwich."
Waitress: "One big yummy lipsmacking sandwich. But what kind?"
Geezer: "What kind?"
Waitress: "Yes! Do you want peanut butter, jelly, baloney, salami, tuna fish, cheese, meatloaf, liverwurst, ham, turkey, chicken, sardine, lettuce, tomato, Russian dressing?"
Geezer: "Yes, please."
And the waitress runs away screaming into the kitchen again. And once again the Geezer asks for a sweet roll.

Xerus

Reaction score
Does anyone remember this Electric Company cartoon? It was made by John Korty and it showed a stage where a short mustached man with a derby and checkered suit appeared, introducing his trained letter Y's. The curtain opened and there appeared a huge lowercase y covered with orange and black stripes. The man said, "And now, here's Y bringing you the lonesome kitty." The Y made a YOWL and the curtain closed. Then it opened again and another Y with black and white spots appeared. The man goes, "And now, Y presents man's best friend." The Y made a YIP and the curtain closed again. It opened a third time revealing a golden Y. The man told us to imagine we're in the mountains and off in the distance we hear.... The Y made a YODEL. The man goes, "The world famous alpine yodel! What do you think of that?" The audience consisted of only one sleepy guy, and he just replied, "YAWN!" "Yawn?" gasped the man as a hook came from backstage yanking the poor Y away. And the man cried, "GONE!"