1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

The closing themes of Sesame Street

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by mikealan, Jan 18, 2003.

1. mikealan

mikealan New Member

Here is the brief history of the closing themes of Sesame Street.

In 1969, I think it featured an old, old live-action spot where kids are playing. In 1971 (or 1972), SS changed it into the animated closing theme with kids and muppets where it starts with Grover flying on an airplane and ends with Herry growing flowers and Oscar (naked) holding the SS lampost sign. Bert, Ernie, Big Bird, Cookie Monster, Kermit the Frog, Little Bird, Roosevelt Franklin, Herbert Birdsfoot, Sherlock Hemlock, Lefty, Professor Hastings and the AM's are in it, too! Then, like in the late '70's (or the early '80s's), it was the live spot with Barkley the Dog and the kids. It was shown after any episode until the early '90's. Now, in the early '90's, it was a new animated closing with the dancing Statue of Liberty, the dancing buildings and things, and it features Elmo, Big Bird, a pigeon muppet and the live kids in it.

Remember these closings?
  2. ssetta

ssetta Active Member

Okay now did they have another closing theme between the animated one in the early 70s and the one with Barkley the Dog in the late 70s? And also, I remember in the early 90s, they used the Barkley one most of the time, but sometimes, I remember there was one with Big Bird and kids walking through Central Park. Remember that?
  3. Fiery Princess

Fiery Princess New Member

I had completely forgotten about the segment with Barkley....weren't they playing hide-and-seek or something? That just brought back a few memories for me.
    I don't really like the new closing. I was upset when Sesame Street got so animated in their opening and closing themes. Maybe its just a personal preference. :rolleyes:
  4. MIKEB97

MIKEB97 New Member

I definetly remember those. Do you recall one where a camera pans above New York city in the sunset? There were also close-ups of tall lush grass and a tide on beach during sunset. This was from 1989.
  5. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Active Member

I definately remember the one with Barkley. That one was classic! I've also seen the one with the dancing statue of liberty. Everything else was either before I was born or when I stopped watching the show.
  6. Gonzo

Gonzo Active Member

The one with Barkley and the kids is my favorite; I also loved the music they'd sometimes have during the closing credits, with just text on backgrounds--a lot of electric guitar, just rocking out (in a Sesame Street funky kinda way).

That's some of my favorite SS music.

Quinnnnnnnnnn
  7. ssetta

ssetta Active Member

I do know the credits with the sunset and the tide on the beach. On that one that Noggin airs from 1989, it used the regular theme music, but there was also special theme music they used when it took place at night. It sounded like a celeste, kind of like a music box. It was actually on Unpaved a few nights ago where The Count was counting people's lights going out. I would imagine they used that celeste theme with the credits with the sunset at one point. Is that one from the 70s as well as the one with Barkley?
  8. Comical_DrBob

Comical_DrBob New Member

I've rember the 80's version with Barkley but I've seen the 90's animated one.
  9. GeeBee

GeeBee New Member

There was also a closing theme in the 70's that featured hands holding a steering wheel while down a road.
  10. Comical_DrBob

Comical_DrBob New Member

I seem to remeber the one with Barkley & one with Big Bird like you said I mainly watched in the 80's & early 90's I prefered the live action one to the cartoon
  11. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Active Member

Anybody remember the bridge part that goes:

"It's a magic carpet ride
    Every door will open wide to happy people like youu
    What a wonderful, What a beautiful--" (Sunny days...)
  12. jeffkjoe

jeffkjoe New Member

The closing music that you refer to, ssetta, is the "nighttime" version of the SESAME STREET theme, and could be heard whenever the show ended during events that took place at night.

The celeste music can be found on, like you said, the 1974 Season Premiere, as well as the late 1980's Unpaved episode where Luis and Maria fall in love, and Luis says goodbye to Maria late at night.
  13. I also remember the Barkley ending. Specifically, I remember the part where everyone disappears behind a tree. As a kid, I wondered how those kids and that dog did that.
  14. ssetta

ssetta Active Member

I think the Barkley ending was the one that was used the longest (so far). It was used from 1978-1992. If they continue to use the one that replaced it, with the dancing buildings and statue of liberty, it will hold the record. The only difference is, it's been shortened.
  15. ForgetfulJones1

ForgetfulJones1 New Member

I watched mainly during the Barkley years..that was sucha wonderful ending..wonder if it won any awards?? That "hiding" technique impressed us early 80s kids..that was cool seventies technoloogy..today kids wouldn't bat an eye. These closings though..were only used weekly or so, if I recall?? Every Sun or Fri can't remember the day of week. Every otehr day, the condensed creits text only with the metalic/monster music ended the show.
  16. jeffkjoe

jeffkjoe New Member

Well, I know where you can get the SESAME STREET CLOSING THEME that you all are referring to....

It's on a CD called SING-A-LONG TRAVEL SONGS that you can order at amazon.com, BUT there's a catch:

Elmo and Zoe sing the Sesame Street lyrics over it, so you can't hear the music by itself
  17. gbrobeck

gbrobeck Member

Also, most of the music heard on that track was never heard on air! As soon as it gets into the part heard on-air, it starts fading out unfortunately.

Greg
  18. What year did CTW start using that one, and when did they stop? Was that one featured at the end of episode #560 at the Museum of Television & Radio? :)
  19. Mark The Shark

Mark The Shark New Member

I'm curious about this myself. I seem to have a vague memory of some imagery which I though was some character riding in a plane looking down over the neighborhood, but I'd be hard pressed to place that in a specific year. If I remember it, it would have to be mid-1970s or earlier. The closing with the drawing of all the Muppet characters which pans down is on episode #355 (from the 1971-1972 season).

#560 (at MTR) was never shown on Noggin then, right?

The funky instrumental (frequently referred to as the "bells and horns" music) was introduced over the grant acknowledgements beginning with #406 (the first show of the 1972-1973 season). Before that, those announcements were silent.
  20. ssetta

ssetta Active Member

I actually wonder how long that "bells and horns" music actually went. If you'll notice, on episode 1095, it played for longer than usual, a full 45 seconds. How long exactly was this piece?