1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

The closing themes of Sesame Street

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by mikealan, Jan 18, 2003.

1. sesamefan30

sesamefan30 New Member

Did episode 2447 use the nighttime version of the theme song for its closing? I know the setting took place in Birdland anyway...

2. tutter_fan

tutter_fan Well-Known Member

I'm curious: wasn't there an episode where it's night time and right before the ending theme stops playing, Maria says "Good night!"?

By the way, I heard the bells/horns theme on youtube and it sounds really funky!

3. dinoboy

dinoboy Member

i always loved the nightime closing theme, as It's heard in the end of the episode where the Count is on the SS lampost and counts the lights going out. He's going to have to wait till morning for the lampost to go out. I always thought that the night theme was a lullabye tune.

sesamefan30 likes this.
  4. sesamefan30

sesamefan30 New Member

I think that was episode 666 if I am correct...they played the nighttime version longer than they normally did in most episodes that took place at night. It definitely sounds like a lullaby tune.

5. I can't remember the closing credits to Season 33 (2002), were they the short ones or the ones from Season 32 in 2001. I know they showed it every Friday!

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  6. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

Does anybody have the funding credits from Season 31?

7. Cookie Chris

Cookie Chris Member

This is from Season 30 (1998-1999), but the ending credits were the same:

8. tutter_fan

tutter_fan Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned before, but do any of you remember the "funky chimes"?

9. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

I don't remember watching Sesame Street as a kid, but I know that I grew up with the Season 30 theme.

10. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

That was more a funding credits than a true closing theme. But yeah, that's every old school Sesame Street fan's jam. Even the PBS broadcast episodes of Shalom Sesame had the Funky Chimes at the end...

it comes in at 1L13 or so... but I vividly remember seeing this after those episodes. I wonder if they used it for any other Sesame Street based special. I can't remember.

11. BuddyBoy600alt

BuddyBoy600alt Active Member

Yup. I remember Gladys Knight and the Pips sang the theme song for the Season 20 episode.

Fozzie Bear likes this.
  12. BuddyBoy600alt

BuddyBoy600alt Active Member

And sometimes when the Friday episode is set at night, They would nighttime scenes.

13. Garrett

Garrett Member

What closing theme was used in Episode 3134?

A. The calypso one from Episode 3120
    B. The calypso one from Seasons 25-26 and Episode 3426

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  14. Garrett

Garrett Member

Which version of the calypso music was used in episodes 3117-3135 (Excluding Episodes 3118, 3121, 3123, 3124 and 3127?

A. The version from Episode 3120
    B. The version from Seasons 25 to 26 and Episode 3426

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  15. Garrett

Garrett Member

Just like Episode 3184 had the opening harmonica music replaced with the calypso music with the closing harmonica music still intact, did they do that same thing with Episode 3165?

16. Luke kun

Luke kun Well-Known Member

I liked the FULL version of the calypso closing credits.
    Lemme list what happens in it:
    • Ms. Liberty and the buildings dance
    • Elmo (?) dancing in windows
    • Kids dance
    • A girl dances on a green background and a boy dances on a blue background
    • Big Bird and some boy dance next to the dancing buildings
    • The train coming right at you
    • Kids get off the train
    • Muppet pigeon appears and flies over trees and into tunnel
    • Elmo with balloons
    • Kids dance again
    • CTW sign appears and Big Bird announces this is a CTW production
    • Ms. Liberty and buildings again
    And then on 1998-2001 episodes, after the credits, Big Bird said goodbye on a purple static background with an electric tune playing. 2001-2002 episodes had an orchestral version of the SS theme playing, but I like the electric tune.

The calypso funding credits somehow remind me of the funding credits to Project Shrine Maiden. Just add Reimu, Marisa, and Mima reading the funding credits and you're all set.

17. Luke kun

Luke kun Well-Known Member

OMG that CPB sequence was on old, OLD episodes of Project Shrine Maiden! Reimu would read the funding and at that part she'd say, "If it wasn't for the CPB, you wouldn't have me!" That part was removed 9 episodes later!

18. Garrett

Garrett Member

And as for episodes that I saw on YouTube and DailyMotion, Episodes 3177, 3185 and 3195, the harmonica opening was still there. And as for Episode 3177, the harmonica closing was also still there. Same goes with Episode 3264.

19. Garrett

Garrett Member

I have a question about the closing music from the 1995-96 (27th) season of Sesame Street. I know the closing music was changed, and the "Coming Soon on Sesame Street" segments were introduced that season. But I saw Episode 3426 on YouTube and that had the calypso theme playing at the end. Yet episode 3408 had the 1995 version of the theme playing at the end.
    Here's my question:
    Which episode numbers from this season featured the 1995 music (or the calypso music) playing while the episode sponsors (and CTW notice on Mon-Thurs) were announced?

20. Garrett

Garrett Member

It did have the "Dancing City" credits and it has the regular harmonica music.