The complete and utter futility of being a fan of anything...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
But then again, you look at Tiny Toons... it reached our audience and everyone loves it.
Um, don't assume, lol. I wasn't that into Tiny Toons actually. I thought Animaniacs captured the LT spirit much better.

We all grew up in the 70's and 80's together but he seems to still think he can live there.
They tended to have better shows; I'd want to live there too, lol.

Fans are not required to like cartoon remakes, heh.

Larxene

Reaction score
Oh no, not all debates are bad but I've seen a lot of fandoms boil down to who is sleeping with whom and their sexual orientation... and that's ALL the fandom cares about. See icon, that fandom is particular is notorious for it. I'd love to discuss the story, characters and plot holes but all anyone cares about is what guy is with what other guy.

And no, fans are not required to like remakes. I don't like every remake - I'm no fan of the new My Little Pony... but at least I gave it a chance instead of whining and complaining and wishing I was back in the 80's.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
And no, fans are not required to like remakes. I don't like every remake - I'm no fan of the new My Little Pony... but at least I gave it a chance instead of whining and complaining and wishing I was back in the 80's.
The thing that bothers me is that it's more acceptable in our society to like new things. If you prefer old things, you're automatically clueless, regardless of the quality of the content.

Larxene

Reaction score
The thing that bothers me is that it's more acceptable in our society to like new things. If you prefer old things, you're automatically clueless, regardless of the quality of the content.
I can agree with that. People tend to wrinkle their nose at folks who "hold on" to older series and the like as if they're ancient and behind the times because they can appreciate classics. It's just as bad to only like new things as it is to only like old though, you're limiting yourself and denying yourself experiencing something you might really enjoy.

Says the girl who discovered her adoration of I Love Lucy a good thirty years after it was "old".

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
To paraphrase something I once read:

"There's no such thing as an old show if you haven't seen it before." :wink:

But I'll admit I've occasionally been wrong about newer shows. There are still some decent ones around; it's just that the trust isn't there anymore, lol.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Aw man, I can sing a few bars about the Sonic fanbase. Ok...they are so nitpicky that they feel it is their job to protest Sonic's eye color. HIS EYE COLOR! What does it matter what his eye color was? Its those kinds of fans that annoy me. Its one thing to not like something, but to not like it because of a slight change in design is just stupid.

And then there is the fans who look down on people who DO like the remake or whatever, saying that people who like the new one arent real fans. I'm guessing its these people you were referring to DrTooth?

You know, it really is one thing to not like sometihng and feel the original is far superior, but its another to attack those who do like a remake or new thing. And then there are the annoying people who are such total purists that even a design change or something instantly makes the whole thing suck. Now I am going to go punish myself for being hypocritical.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
And then there are the annoying people who are such total purists that even a design change or something instantly makes the whole thing suck. Now I am going to go punish myself for being hypocritical.
Well I definitely agree that some fans can get ridiculously nitpicky about irrelevant things. But then there are other times when redesigns really do reflect a misunderstanding of the characters. So it's a tricky thing, lol.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Well I definitely agree that some fans can get ridiculously nitpicky about irrelevant things. But then there are other times when redesigns really do reflect a misunderstanding of the characters. So it's a tricky thing, lol.
Yeah, lol. I've complained about shows being redesigned (hence the comment about being hypocritical).

For example, I truly believe that when Jake Long changed animation styles, the writing changed with it. I dunno. There was something about the first season that just didnt seem there afterwards. And then I've complained about PPG's redesign, but then again, I never stopped liking it (though it did start to get stale at the end, but that seemed more because it was on too long and they were running out of ideas)

But there is also a difference between mentioning you dont like something once, explaining why, and jamming it down someone else's throat, which gets annoying.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
This is particularly true in the fandoms I come across... and it's why I disowned Kingdom Hearts fandom entirely. When you've let the plot, charm and enjoyment of series be lost in favor of debates about sexual orientation and who must be sleeping with whom, you're no longer worthy of being called a fan IMHO.
Im sorry what? kinda glad i keep my Kingdom hearts fanness to myself since i dont know many people who play it

Larxene

Reaction score
Im sorry what? kinda glad i keep my Kingdom hearts fanness to myself since i dont know many people who play it
It's why I won't call myself a KH Fan. I liked those games for the stories and characters, not anything naughty >.<