"The" Cookie Monster?

SSLFan

Reaction score
This has become a real pet peeve for me. Does anyone get disturbed when people, generally those in news articles, refer to Cookie Monster as "The Cookie Monster"? It just sounds so awkward. Anyone else feel the same way?

He's Cookie Monster, not The Cookie Monster!:insatiable:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well yeah it is sort of alien to me; he was always just "Cookie Monster" when I was a kid. And I always loved it when people called him "Cookie" for short, hehe. :insatiable:

Not really disturbing to me though. Some say "The Cookie Monster" was more of an early Sesame Street thing. So I find it kind of interesting from a historical point of view.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yeah, during the early years, he was THE Cookie Monster, lol. Biggest example I can think of is how Ernie and Cookie were trying to show the audience how different they were, but only found similarities, leading to them not knowing who they really were, until a random AM with Bert's hair, Kermit's color, Sherlock Hemlock's coat shows their differences, saying "so we can plainly see you're Ernie, and you're The Cookie Monster." After Cookie exclaims he knows who Ernie is, Ernie exclaims how he know who The Cookie Monster is, lol.

Another early seasons thing is how Telly was refered to as Telly Monster; even though that's his full name, just Telly is more common today, while full Telly Monster was more common back then.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Another early seasons thing is how Telly was refered to as Telly Monster; even though that's his full name, just Telly is more common today, while full Telly Monster was more common back then.
Oh yeah that's a good example! And did that Unpaved book say he was going to be called "The Television Monster?"

Sort of related, I remember when the Care Bears would occasionally refer to each other as "The Wish Bear" rather than just "Wish Bear." Always sounded odd for them, like they were referring to animals in a wilderness safari. "And we see The Wish Bear making his way through the Serengeti." Lol

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yep, it mentioned how he was originally called "TeeVee Monster" because he was obsessed with TV (and actually had swirling eyes), but it was felt the character might set a bad example to kids (watching too much TV, sitting too close, etc), so they changed his eyes to worrisome, and changed his name from TeeVee Monster to Telly Monster.

When the YouTube Blackout's over, I think I might look and see if there's any footage of this alleged TeeVee Monster.

Nick22

Reaction score
i HATE when people call him the cookie monster. it's annoying.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Btw, nice to hear from you, Snowth!

Yep, it mentioned how he was originally called "TeeVee Monster" because he was obsessed with TV (and actually had swirling eyes), but it was felt the character might set a bad example to kids (watching too much TV, sitting too close, etc), so they changed his eyes to worrisome, and changed his name from TeeVee Monster to Telly Monster.
I love how TV shows are always so ashamed to actually advertised themselves lest they be accused of setting a bad example, hehe.

Actually I think this Cookie Monster issue is briefly discussed in the Tough Pigs book club discussion of the Sesame Street book The Cookie Tree.

http://www.toughpigs.com/bookclubcookie01.htm

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
This reminds me of Snuffy!

Everyone used to refer to him as Mr. Snuffleupagus. Some just simply call him Snuffleupagus. Some fans call him the Snuffleupagus. Everyone on the show call him Snuffy, mainly. Big bird call him Snuff as a close friend (Funny on the Cookie Fairy episode where Mary makes Telly say come on "Bird" as Snuffy does, lol!). But his mother calls him Aloysius Snuffleupagus.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Wasn't he originally called Television Monster?

Beauregard

Reaction score
For years, I thought that Telly Monster (having not watched the show for ages) was the Monster that Ate the Television. I was somewhat surprised to not find him huge and square and red :stick_out_tongue: