The counting cartoon hotel messanger?

mikealan

Reaction score
Anybody remember the animated hotel messanger of SS?

It starts with a huge hotel and fades to the boss warning him to do chores and became worried and tries to do the chores.

Here are a couple of number versions I remembered:

2- Two lost kids
8- Eight stervant trunks
10- Ten puppies??
12- Twelve phone calls
14- Room number 14
16- Floor number 16
18- Phone message for Table #18
20- Out to twenty

I remember watching "18" version on 123 Sesame Street. It was where he has to give the phone message to table #18.

And as you see, the cartoon hotel messanger series are alot similar to the counting circus ringmaster, the rap numbers series, African-like number animations that count up to thirteen or fourteen or fifteen, etc., stamp segments that count up to nine or ten or eleven or twelve, etc., numbers growing on benches, parks, buildings, etc. that count up to thirteen or fourteen or fifteen, etc., the guy carrying numbers series, monster and strange-like number series that count up to thirteen or fourteen or fifteen, etc., the number painter (Paul Bendict) series, the falling chef series by Jim Henson, the pinball machine series and the old counting series with the race cars in the beginning and the spies at the end sung by Grace Slick of Jefferson Planes.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Ah ha! Why must you always bring threads about a subject so near and dear to my heart! Of course I remember the counting hotel messenger series. Let's see what we can do to help you out.
2: Two Blobby twins lost in the lobby waiting for their parents to arrive.
8: The messenger has to bring eight steamer trunks down to the lobby because a guest is checking out, only to extend her stay at the hotel by the time the messenger reaches the ground floor. He faints at the thought of carrying the eight trunks back up to Floor 8 after bringing them downstairs.
10: He had to take ten troublesome terriers out for a walk. At the end, his vision gets blurred, but he manages to make out all ten dogs at the ends of their leashes.
12: The messenger had to plug into the hotel's switchboard and place twelve different wake-up calls after the perspective guests answered their phones.
14: He had to carry a male guest's bags to room 14, upon which the guest picks up the bag in a breath to the messenger's amazement. The guest, a body builder, reveals that his weights were inside his bag.
16: The messenger had to race all the way up to Floor 16 to assist a newly arriving guest with their accomodations.
18: The messenger has to take a phone call to Mr. Flapdoodle at table 18, bumping into all the tables counting them along the way until he reaches his destination.
20: Here, the messenger is sent to pick up twenty grapefruits at the grocery store for the hotel's luncheon. Really, I blame the desk clerk for drilling the fact of "remember that number, 20" into our poor messenger's head. The numbers appear on a variety of outdoor items, including the 20 on the front of the supermarket's sliding doors. Unfortunately, at the store, the messenger can only tell the grocer: "Twenty" after forgetting what it was that he had to pick up twenty of.
The only regret I have concerning this series is that they never developed any sketches devoted to odd numbers. Other than that, they were OK.

mikealan

Reaction score
Anybody remembers the other number versions?

ssetta

Reaction score
I love that series! I actually noticed that when it first started, the lady's voice sounded a lot different, and a lot lower.

I liked the fact that it always involved the guy doing these impossible duties! I wonder why that's all they ever did!

Jeffrey Gray

Reaction score
Wow! I have lived my entire life with the memory that the suitcase skit was for the number 13...guess I was wrong...

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for clearing that up, Jeffrey. Now that's what I was messenger had to bring 8 steamer trunks all the way down to the lobby from Floor 8 and carry 16 suitcases all the way up to Floor 16 by using the stairs in both cases. I assure that my personal fascination with hogging the elevator to count the different floors as we went up and down all day long had nothing to do with this poor man's troubles, nor was it the reason as to why he had to take the stairs lugging the heavy trunks behind him.missing. The