The Demo Vid Which Made Kevin Clash Call Me

PaulyPuppets

Reaction score
I wanted to share this with you guys. And I'd be curious to know if anyone else here has gone through the same thing. But about 3 1/2 years ago, I received a phone call here at my home from non other than Kevin Clash. He has been one of my idols for as long as I can remember so needless to say, I was thrilled. He told me he had just viewed my video demo reel (which I had sent 3 months prior), and that he "really liked my stuff", and that I'd be "hired directly" when they are in need of new performers. 3 days later I got a letter from The Henson Company confirming everything Mr. Clash had told me. I've since tried to follow up with letters, and even phone calls, about every 6 months or so. But to no avail. As I grow older and hear from my "Muppeteer" friends in NY and LA, of very young kids (as young as 16 years of age) being hired in spots that I was promised, I wonder if I'll ever be hired at all. And sadly, I wonder if there is an unspoken rule at The Henson Company or Sesame Workshop, which doesn't allow the hiring of puppeteers over 35 years of age. I would hate for the latter to have any truth as that would be pretty discriminatory, don't you think? I'd like to simply believe that Mr. Clash is a very busy man, and that their hiring system based on this list he told me about, may not be working as well as it should. At the risk of being deleted by the moderators here, I wonder if anyone would like to come forward and give their opinions (and I stress the word OPINIONS) and experience(s) with Mr. Clash and/or the Henson Company or Sesame Workshop. And if anyone from Henson or Sesame can shine some light here, it would be appreciated. In the meantime, here is my actual puppeteer demo which caught Kevin Clash's eye. You can WATCH THE VIDEO HERE.

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
I think I have heard of someone else being promised that....but it was a few years ago, and I wouldn't even remember who it was anymore.

Here's to hoping you get a phone call real soon!

spcglider

Reaction score
I'm sure there are LOTS of puppeteers that get the "string along" from the Henson Company. The only way to make sure your resume is on top of th epile is to keep sending it in every six months or to keep bugging them about it in a friendly fashion. Honestly, in my line of work (I run a special effects model shop) I see at least one kid a month who comes in, tells me how he MUST be a special effects model builder, and then disappears never to be seen again. So frankly, the thing I tell every one of them is "Come back in a month." If they actually show up again, I know they're more than just a flash in the pan.

-Gordon

Luke

Reaction score
Great character voices, and you have a great singing voice too. You should keep hassling them, though i guess there aren't a lot of jobs around at the moment. U oughta try other non-Henson avenues too.