The Doctor Who Thread

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
Um...no, it's the latest episode written by Mark Gatiss (The Unquiet Dead, The Idiot's Lantern, Victory of the Daleks). Silence in the Library was written by current show-runner Steven Moffat.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
------------------------
Thanks! I really need to get hold of the Matt ones. I feel far behind again.

------------------

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
I just realized that I forgot a question (word) that I meant to put in in the first post:

What is your LEAST favorite Doctor, companion, etcetra, etcetra, etcetra...?​

newsmanfan

Reaction score
------------------
Hmm...

Least fave Doc: Colin Baker. Just awful. The actor AND the character!
Least fave companion: Adric. Dying is the only thing he did worth a darn.
Least fave monster: the original Sontarans were pretty boring, and during the Pertwee years there were a number of really fake-looking critters involved which just ruined the suspension of disbelief for me...but I don't know that there was any one I disliked so intensely as to give them this title!
Least fave eps...would have to give serious thought (and scroll through a Wiki, it's been decades since I've seen the old ones!).
-------------------

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
I've been debating this for a while, so I figure now is as good a time as any.

So, I've been in and out of a bout of writer's block on a novel I'm writing and as a sort of palate cleanser, I've been plunking out a screenplay for a Doctor Who movie (weird technique, I know) and it made me wonder.

Which direction would you go if you were put in charge of writing a Doctor Who movie? Pure Sci-Fi? Nightmare inducing? Historical? What would your plot be? What monsters would you use? Would you create a new Doctor and, if so, what would he be like?

newsmanfan

Reaction score
------------------------
I'd probably stick with whomever the current Doc was, and try for continuity with existing storylines if needed. As to theme...I have a soft spot for the really creepy ones. Probably something paranoia-inducing for the characters which even the Doctor gets creeped out by, though off the top of my head I have no idea what that might be. I'd love to drag back in past one-shot characters, such as Jake (from the alternate Cyber-earth) or the cat-pilot from New(16?)York. I always loved the idea on "Max Headroom" that they were our world, but "15 minutes into the future" and might do something along those lines for setting: a recognizable earth, but a little more sci-fi...and darker. Monsters? No idea. Something new...although the Swarm was pretty darned cool (from "Silence in the Library").

----------------------

newsmanfan

Reaction score
--------------
It's been a while, I see...

Have finally caught up with most of Matt's first season now. (I will watch "The Pandorica Opens" tonight!) I was hesitant to get into him because I really, really loved Tennant...and the very first ep changed my mind. What an adorkable character! And Amy reminds me a LOT of Jo and Sarah Jane...just so wonderfully perkily indomitable.

Now I have to budget some cash for the next series...

VERY curious about River. No, no, don't tell me anything!
--------------

newsmanfan

Reaction score
-----------
A friend sent me this. I want it on a shirt now: