The Doozer Cartoon's US Debut

Drtooth

Reaction score
Henson posted some short video clips to Youtube...

This one actually remembers that they need radishes to make Doozer Sticks:

So far, it does look pretty good, not bad, but nothing groundbreaking.

I bet this. The first few episodes will be free, but everything else requires paid Hulu Plus membership. I protest the fact that all children's programming on Hulu requires one. If Funimation/Sentai Film Works/Discotech can stream anime just on free hulu with commercials, there's NO reason kid's programming (especially with oldies like ALFTales, which no one under the age of 30 cares about) needs to be paid for. Hulu Plus is a scam, is what I'm saying. They have commercials too.

Plaid Fraggle

Reaction score
I really like that final clip! It's got that ecologically-conscious undertone of which Fraggle Rock had quite a bit. And the baby radishes ARE cute.

Otherwise it seems a bit too...simple for my tastes, but I guess that's the way many kids' shows have been for a while. Nothing I didn't expect.

And I know a lot of other people say this, but puppetry has a charm that no amount of overly-colorful CGI can top, IMO. I understand the cost-effectiveness of CGI production and perhaps steering away from stigmatizing puppetry even further as an art for children, but still.

Drtooth

Reaction score
CGI is sooooo not as cost effective as they say. Cheap, crappy CGI is, but there's a reason why CN couldn't wait to get rid of Beware the Batman. Puppetry also displays a crapload of cost dissonance. The only real advantage over puppetry is in the technical field, managing to work around limitations that puppets can't do. But then you can say that about regular 2-D animation as well. I can't fault them for making a CGI series, since that's essentially their bread and butter now (Sid the Science Kid and Dinosaur Train).

I'd have to actually see a full episode and all, and I sort of agree that it's a standard kid's show. Seems to have the same level as Dino Train does. I didn't expect it to quite be near Fraggle Rock in quality, but then again, they're going for something different. I'm mixed on them being kids, but I do like that they're voiced by kids. I just wish this had a proper TV outlet. Really don't see why The Hub couldn't have picked it up in order to make a deal for some Playskool produced Doozer toys.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
there's NO reason kid's programming (especially with oldies like ALFTales, which no one under the age of 30 cares about) needs to be paid for. Hulu Plus is a scam, is what I'm saying. They have commercials too.
For the record, there are some ALF fans that are under 30. But yeah- it'd be great for ALFTales to be seen for free on Hulu. (It'd be even greater for the rest of the series to get released to DVD...... And the ALF animated series while they're at it.)

Drtooth

Reaction score
Lionsgate clearly wants more money. They charge for the crappy Rambo cartoon too. And I definitely know no kid wants to watch that. Adults just want to watch it ironically, and barely that.

I LOVE ALF, but I find the cartoon series to be superior to the sitcom in every way. It's such a shame that they refuse to release the rest of it on DVD, but also refuse to have it on hulu for free. I mean, we sit through those slow loading Geico commercials that are horrible for a reason. And I'm pretty disheartened they got to Henson too. At least they offer the first 5 episodes of something free before you have to buy the premium crap that still has commercials. Hulu's become a real racket. And as I mentioned, none of the anime distribution companies force you to pay for hulu plus. And frankly, the fact they're such a niche market, they'd need the money more than anyone.