1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

The Douglas Adams Story

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by towels, Aug 12, 2002.

1. towels New Member

I'm putting this here instead of the Ask Ken thread...you'll have to hunt through 185+ pages of posts to figure out the beginning...
    :)

Well, I think I've determined that at some point I slipped through to an alternate dimension, as this is the only explanation I can still come up with but here goes...

In So Long and Thanks for All the Fish there is a chapter about Arthur deciding to buy a computer to figure out where the cave was that he lived in on prehistoric Earth. I distinctly remember the salesmen talking to a co-worker about the software avaliable on some system (likely IBM). Then came the line "Arthur decided to buy the Apple anyway"
    To me "anyway" indicated there was a reason for him not to, i.e. the software avaliable on the other system.
    However, I have never since been able to find that co-worker paragraph in any copies. I figured it had been removed for copyright reasons. I talked about this once on a DNA fan usenet group, and he replied that perhaps I was thinking of a different passage from a different book, and he then proceeded to quote it. Astonished, amazed that I had attracted the attention of this genius, I nevertheless proceeded to insist that wasn't the passage I was thinking of, which then caused him to go back into his storage and find his original manuscript, which supported his point of view- that what is commonly seen in So Long is what has always been there, nothing more, nothing less.
    To this day I remain unconvinced, even though it causes me great guilt, much like Fenchurch with her otter picture. I just can't get past the use of the word anyway without the aforementioned reasons not to do something.

So that's my story. Obviously Doug's been a huge influence on me, and indirectly led to my username, though that's another long story in itself.
  2. grail New Member

that's awesome.

even if it didn't show up, it is a VERY Adams thing to say...especially knowing how much he loved his MACs (nobody's perfect)

and yeah, i wondered that about your username...personally, i keep a towel in the trunk of my car at all times...seriously...
  3. towels New Member

I'll have to tell that story tomorrow...or later today if I decide not to do very much work.
    :D