1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

The "Dream/Scheme" issue

Discussion in 'Fraggle Rock' started by Princeton, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Princeton

Princeton Active Member

I've made an observation that's a little weird but neat nonetheless. It seems to me that the FR songwriters rhyme "dream" and "scheme" too much in their songs. I can only think of two examples, but for all I know there might be more: "Heart In A Hanky" from Wembley's Flight and "Big Boy Now" from A Dark and Stormy Night. Is this just coincidence or a weakness in the composing of the songs?

2. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Not only that, I've heard nearly the same melody in a few Fraggle songs. But it makes sense, pretty much the same writers the whole series, having to come up with two songs every week. I imagine it would be necessary to steal from yourself occasionally, lol.

3. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

Well, real life tribe cultures repeat the same melodies a lot :). So fraggles as a race are'nt that much different than we silly creatures ;)

4. heralde

This kinda reminds me of something that always makes me laugh on FR. In a couple episodes, the Fraggles are actually trying to compose songs and comment on how hard it is. Of course, they don't seem to realize they're composing every time they randomly break into song! Lol

I'm being nitpicky I know, lol, but I always find that hilarious when watching any sort of musical and characters think it's perfectly normal to burst into song, or aren't even aware of it, lol.

5. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

I love musicals :) They need no logic they are just fun :3. Besides, if we could deep down I bet we would all like to randomly sing about our lifes for no reason and have everyone join in with us ;)

6. MrsPepper

MrsPepper Active Member

Don't forget "Change" and "rearrange", it's been used in TMM and I think I've noticed it in FR as well! Someone help me out on this one.

7. heralde

Oh yeah I adore musicals, I just love to make fun of the things I enjoy, lol.

"Maybe things will change and maybe they'll rearrange I may see my friend come back again." That's from a song Mokey sang when Gobo was stuck in Outer Space.

I'm blanking, when were they used in TMM?

8. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

Well there are only so many words you can use if you are writing a song in that style ;)

9. MrsPepper

MrsPepper Active Member

It was in Can You Picture That?

"Life beings a-chaingin'/ mental rearrangin'/ nothing's really where it's at"

Or something like that. That song is hard to decipher!

10. Fragglemuppet

Fragglemuppet Well-Known Member

Alright, that's one song with change and rearrange in them. Got another for me?

I think there are a few reasons for this. And to start with, Dennis Lee and Phill Balsom SP? were not weak song writers!

First, they do rhyme, and so are fair game for a song.
    Second, it could be coincidence at that.
    Second, in the literary sense, dreams and skemes do mean about the same thing, and so were used only to further accentuate the point the singers were trying to make.Also Redsonga, I never thought of it from the angle of being a tribal culture. That's a good point!
    :excited:

And Heralde, I absolutely love knitpicking at these points, especially when they have to do with Fraggle Rock!

11. heralde

Yeah I think the tribal analogy is a good point, they don't care if they repeat something, it all has a meaning. :)

Oh yeah, that's right! Yeah I'm still trying to decipher the words. Though I have a feeling even if I did, it wouldn't be much better, lol. :D

12. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

Humanities are some of my favorite subjects, so I love thinking of fraggles as a long lost race. With so much of our world becoming smaller thanks to the internet I see these little pocket cultures in real life as being something to be treasured and left alone ...
    Like fraggle rock they have a magic :).
    But anyway, I started thinking about that side of the Fraggles when I first saw Red's fish outfit and later the Poobah masks :)

13. MrsPepper

MrsPepper Active Member

I don't appreciate your tone, thank you. And there already have been two example of change/rearrange, in post#7 from FR, and post #9 from TMM.

I certainly didn't imply that, and nobody else did either. No one can deny their talent; they wrote literally hundreds of great original songs for Fraggle Rock. Plus, in the case of change/rearrange, one of the examples wasn't written by them.

I was merely pointing out an amusing theme/re-occurrence, and wondering if others had noticed the same.

It's really of a case of having themes present in Muppet lyrics, and it becomes necessary to use the same words so that the audience understands the message clearly. And there aren't a lot of rhymes for change and dream that would sound good in a song.

14. heralde

The first post here pondered if there was a weakness in songwriting. I don't agree that there is either, but perhaps that's what was being referred to. :)

15. MrsPepper

MrsPepper Active Member

Thanks, heralde.

16. heralde

No prob, communication problems happen on message boards lol.

17. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

*hee* The lyrics don't always matter, the songs themselves are very catchy IMHO *bounces to Muck and Goo* :D

18. Fragglemuppet

Fragglemuppet Well-Known Member

Oh yes, I'm sorry, I should have clarified. I was only meaning Fraggle Rock, not TMM. And I was indeed referring to the first post when I said that.
    And sorry, like I said, I wasn't meaning you, but it does bear explaining that I do get rather defensive about..well..the muppets in general, but most especially Fraggle Rock.
    :excited:
    :smirk:
    :coy:

So no hard feelings?

19. MrsPepper

MrsPepper Active Member

No hard feelings, mate. :p

20. Princeton

Princeton Active Member

I found an example of that: "The Flooping Song" from Doozer Is As Doozer Does and "What A Funny World It Is" from Fraggle Wars.