The eBay Muppet Knock-off Thread

shtick

Reaction score
This whole thing is basically a personal issue for everyone.

Some people feel downloading free music on p2p clients is unethical.
Some people feel it shouldn't be done because they call it theft.
Some people don't care one way or the other because the artists don't lose that much money.
Some people promote i tbecause it gives the artist more circulation and the real fan will buy the CD.

The same thing can be applied to these false muppets. whichever way you look at it, its a perosnal issue for every individual. I'm not pro selling fake muppets, but I address it the same way I address the pirated music issue. If you don't like it don't download it. One thing these fake muppets won't do is make the characters LESS popular or less magical than the real ones are in the hands of a muppet performer.

puppetmancan

Reaction score
faze said:
I have seen Replicas of Elmo, Kermit the Frog, Beaker, The Count, on ebay, if people can make replicas like that, why cant they use their imaginattion, creativity to make their own puppets or characters?

IT always ticks me off when i see an muppet replica. And they go it is not the exact either a distant cousin, similiar looking but not the same, hello it still looks like a muppet, and they give it the same name, and sell it for profit.
Hello its copyright infringement.

I dont have a problem with building muppet/fraggle/sesames street like build replicas for family friends - that is a different story.
but when the sell them on ebay - its breaking the law by copyright infringement - and are trying to make a profit of something that they have not created

I would love to hear other peoples opinions, about this,
I build muppet replicas. its very hard. i love to design my own characters because you have so many options, making a replica, you can't leave it to just your creativity, you have to be skilled in your craft. i've learned alot of techniques striving for a certain look. people just need to chill out, look at somebody's talent and be happy for them. or don't look. certainly won't make a list and waste time when one could be creative in their craft. wasting time getting upset is the real theif not copyright infrigement.

puppetise

Reaction score
yes but selling them is ilegal and be care full you might get reported

Zoot The Saxman

Reaction score
Hey puppetise,
Didn't know ya had a law degree in the field of copyrights.....where did YOU get yours?

intozlight

Reaction score
I am an artist, writer and inventor and well-versed in the copyright laws.

Yes, it does take alot of talent to create a replica and sometimes that is the only way to obtain a character like Kermit for instance that the designing company is trying to protect by NOT issuing him as a puppet. I can understand wanting one of your own - especially if you are a fan.

But realize, The characters created by a company such as the Muppets are their bread and butter and the way they support their business. Some of these (especially Disney) vigorously prosecute those that would infringe. Disney for instance sued a preschool in my area for painting Disney characters on the wall - hardly a for-profit venture.

I would hate to see any talented artist get in trouble for just trying to make a buck. I know how it is. But be aware that the laws are there to protect people from stealing your ideas as much as thiers.

In the end you make your decision and weigh the risk I guess. For me, I will stick with my own ideas.

Just my two cents

puppetmancan

Reaction score
The muppets don't make their money buy selling puppets, their bread and butter is from entertainment, merchandise, and commercials. if you start doing live muppet shows then we're talking breaking some copyright laws. anyways this atmosphere is pretty negative. never been on here before. its very un muppety, deffinatley not for the lovers, and dreamers and you.:embarrassed:

Like one always says, "those that can build, sell, and those that can't, gripe.

puppetmancan

Reaction score
Zoot The Saxman said:
Hey puppetise,
Didn't know ya had a law degree in the field of copyrights.....where did YOU get yours?
so funny!:cool:

intozlight

Reaction score
I can build (notice the avatar). I simply choose to build my own. Best of luck to you.

And btw I do like your original stuff. Just trying to give you guys a head's-up.

You know, it's not easy being green :smile:

Director Davies
ripplesministry.org

Zoot The Saxman

Reaction score
Well, IT IS getting Negative in here.....For the same reason LAST time this thread was going on. EVERYONE has an Opinion....Ahhhh Only in AMERICA....LOL Love it!!!!! And It's Only getting heated because "People" are taking it to the point as If THEY OWNED the RIGHTS THEMSELVES. Simply put for those whom may be Simple......IT goes ONNNNNNNNNN, Don't like it? Too bad, THEN don't do it. Its that simple....I really don't think ANYONE can cash in THAT much, on a few stripes of cloth, which just happens to look like something else. I could see if they were being MASS produced, BUT THEY'RE NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!........Sell, crazy someplace else We're all stocked up here!!!!

intozlight

Reaction score
Zoot,

I am sorry you feel that the posts are negative. I am not stating my opinion, it is simply a matter of law. Not only that, it is the same law that protects us from having others steal our ideas.

If someone feels they can get away with breaking the law, then it is thier choice. I only share this information for those who may be unsure what the law is exactly (not someone's opinion.) We have plenty of opinion for sure.

Companies protect their properties (ie characters) because if they allow unauthorized knock-offs, it makes others think that it is okay, and then the copyright laws are really worthless. If you produce one or 10,000, without permission for sale, the same law applies.

Anyone can justify using another's copyrighted property for personal gain. That doesn't however make it right or change the law. Maybe you'll get prosecuted, maybe not. But I posted so that those who are inclined to be lawfull will have the facts.

This was never meant to be a personal attack, simply informative. I suggest that rather than believe me however, if you are really interested in doing what's right, that you read the copyright law for yourself and see what it covers. I know the law and I choose to follow it - you know that old "do unto others" thing.

And BTW - this post is not for those of you who choose to ignore the law - obviously you have already made up your own minds. This is to give those who are thinking about doing something like this an informed position.

I wish you all continued success.

Director Davies