The End Of Television?

Drtooth

Reaction score
It isn't, but it's hardly what it was since television took away a huge hunk of the audience. Then again, just like television, the niche markets are shrinking. Unless you want Top 40 hits and loud mouth opinion heads, there's very little out there. And it's a shame, too. We keep losing oldies and rock stations to the same exact music that every station plays.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Every once in a while when I need to rent a car, I often get Sirius as an option. Which is nice if you're on a long drive and you're really into the Grateful Dead or Jimmy Buffett.

It would be great if there ever will be something (maybe someday) like Sirius TV.
A channel of 24-hour 70's kids shows, a cartoon channel just for theatrical shorts, classic sitcoms, etc. Everything Noggin, Boomerang, and TVLand promised to be- and almost had within reach- until somebody decided to screw around with them.

Teheheman

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't really see TV "ending" but I DO see TV 'adapting' to the digital age, just like when radio 'adjusted' to the TV age. Radio is still around, TV will probably still be around but, like other things, won't be around if it doesn't adapt.

Daniel

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So according to consumer research (I guess?) cable, land lines, newspapers, CDs/DVDs, camcorders, and books are going to be obsolete in the next 3-20 years; cable because of Netflix, land lines because of cell phones, camcorders because of "still cameras", and books because of Kindle and eReaders.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
So according to consumer research (I guess?) cable, land lines, newspapers, CDs/DVDs, camcorders, and books are going to be obsolete in the next 3-20 years; cable because of Netflix, land lines because of cell phones, camcorders because of "still cameras", and books because of Kindle and eReaders.
I don't think anything is going to become obsolete any time soon, it takes generations for things like that to happen. 58 percent of Americans still own a VCR, which is 13 points more than people who own an MP3 player, and 19 points more than people who use Netflix/Hulu.

Plus some of the things you mentioned still have romantic attachments to them, like books and arguably newspapers. I don't think those will go anywhere because they mean a lot to certain people.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/166745/americans-tech-tastes-change-times.aspx

Drtooth

Reaction score
The only print media I see going under with the advent of e-readers are magazines and newspapers... and most of them still are grasping tenaciously. And newspapers and magazines have had a steady decline before that technology existed anyway.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
At least you can still line your catboxes with newspapers. Let's see you do that with your nook.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Digital Magazines don't give you free posters either.

Sigh... I miss Nintendo Power. To think, all those times I almost bought an issue just for the poster and said "I'll wait till next time." There are no next times now...:sigh:

Double :sigh:, as most of my old NP posters have been thrown out as well.