1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

The evolution of Bert & Ernie

Discussion in 'Puppet News' started by MIKEB97, May 5, 2002.

1. MIKEB97

MIKEB97 New Member

Hello! Bert and Ernie have had lots of makeovers for the past 33 years. Back in 69, Bert's facial expression indicated that he was always mad. His voice was very monotone and his hair hung down. Ernie's hair looked messy, he was bug-eyed his voice was sligtly monotone and whispy. Bert's shirt had the same colors as today but Ernie's was purple, pink, yellow and orange.
  2. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

The heads were different too. If you notice, Bert's neck and chin kind of merged into a sloppy, droopy hand puppet look. If you look at Bert today, his head is much more in shape. It is completely rounded off where the droopy thing once was. Plus, I think their noses were a little different!
  3. MIKEB97

MIKEB97 New Member

Ernie's nose was dark pink or purple. Bert's was orange but it was droopy. Bert's voice seems falsetto. Ernie's voice is kind of hyper.
  4. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Active Member

HIYA!

Not too long ago, Bert's material had a wrinkle in it. I think he needs a little hem work...

Maybe they should call in that investigative tailor, Sherlock HEMWORK to repair the seams...WOCKA WOCKA!!

FOZ
  5. MIKEB97

MIKEB97 New Member

Wow! There's somthing I noticed. In the episode where Snuffy debuts from Sesame's third season, Bert & Ernie had their fourth season look. In the rainstorm episode from 1972, they had their 1971 look. Did they only look different in the third season premiere episode?
  6. Splurge

Splurge Member

I'm pretty sure that in the Rainstorm episode, the Bert and Ernie clips are inserts from Season 2.
  7. MIKEB97

MIKEB97 New Member

So the Bert & Ernie clips aren't from 72. They're from 1970. I've noticed that as Bert & Ernie evolved, so did Frank and Jim.
  8. Splurge

Splurge Member

Well, we're all a work in progress, aren't we? :)
  9. Hmmmm...I wonder if this has anything to do with possible makeovers of Jackie and Emmy? . . .
  10. Fozzie Bear

Janice & Mokey's Man :" Hmmmm...I wonder if this has anything to do with possible makeovers of Jackie and Emmy? . . . "

You mean into cola and muffin dips?

FOZ
  11. MIKEB97

MIKEB97 New Member

Definitely. To quote Harry Smith, "That's how it's always been with Jim Henson's Muppets".
  12. Jackie

Jackie New Member

Yes Emmy and I both got a haircut and just the other day she removed my nose and stuck it on a clay statue of myself....
  13. EmmyMik

EmmyMik New Member

Was that before or after I tried to dance myself to sleep?

:D

(or was that you? I can never remember, since we're like Bert and Ernie, only we're both Ernie)
  14. Fozzie Bear

Hmm. Jackie, Emmy...you just reminded me.

When I was a kid, this old man comes over and says, "Wanna see me do a trick?" I said, "Sure." So, he reaches on my face, pinches my nose a little and says, "See? I got your nose!" Then, he showed me my nose, stuck it in his pocket, and WALKED AWAY!! So, I just realized, he never gave me my nose back, but when I look in the mirror there's a nose there, so I have to wonder, whose nose is it and what did the old man do with mine??

FOZ :confused:
  15. MIKEB97

MIKEB97 New Member

Did you happen to see a flock of pigeons or a display of rubber ducks on your way to the barber shop?
  16. Jackie

Jackie New Member

I think we both danced ourselves to sleep while our buddy Squishy Bottom was taken away via a bunch of Boogie Woogie Sheeps!

<<Did you happen to see a flock of pigeons or a display of rubber ducks on your way to the barber shop?>>

I always keep a pigeon and rubber ducky in my pocket! :)
  17. Heehee . . .
  18. EmmyMik

EmmyMik New Member

Oh yes. I remember now.

That Squishy Bottom. You'd think that he'd learn by now...

:D
  19. MIKEB97

MIKEB97 New Member

Wow! I keep my rubber duckie on the window sill in my bathroom. I wish I was able to find a red & blue striped shirt. I have a few pairs blue jeans and kaki pants. Now all I need is some saddle shoes and orgile socks.
  20. Fozzie Bear

>>. Now all I need is some saddle shoes and orgile socks.

And a rubber chicken. Don't forget the rubber chicken.

Or the muffins.

FOZ