The Falling Baker Finally Identified

Katzi428

Reaction score
Some of you thought it was Jim Henson, right? Well,you're half right. Jim Henson did the voice(example: "1 Wedding Cake!") But it wasn't Jim that did the tumble down the stairs.It was a guy named Alex Stevens. (He's a stuntman)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I knew Jim dubbed the baker's voice, but I didn't know the name of the person who performed the baker; interesting to know that he was, of all people, a stuntman... that makes so much sense, lol.

Thanks for sharing that info Kath!

Son of Enik

Reaction score
That's so cool that I finally know the baker's name. Thank you so much for the info! I STILL crack up at those segments!

gbrobeck

Reaction score
Stevens was also known for, among other things, playing The Wolfman on gothic soap opera Dark Shadows, which incidentally shared some other crew with early SST... costume designer Ramse Mostoller for one.

Greg

minor muppetz

Reaction score
This was pretty much determiend for awhile at Muppet Wiki (though I wish I'd see an official statement from either Henson or Sesame Workshop... I'm pretty sure he still gets residuals from the appearances, so they'd have to have his name on file). Somebody found the claim at imdb, and brought it up... and then images were found and it clearly was him.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Cool to know!:smile:
I'm curious though- does he get residuals from all the gazillions of plays I'm sure the Falling Baker videos have gotten on SesameStreet.com and youtube.com?
I mean, they can't tell how many times someone might watch a video on VHS or DVD at home- but you can track views on those sites.:big_grin:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I'm curious though- does he get residuals from all the gazillions of plays I'm sure the Falling Baker videos have gotten on SesameStreet.com and youtube.com?
I mean, they can't tell how many times someone
I was pretty much guessing that he still gets residuals. I don't know if Sesame Workshop has to pay residuals for online releases (I know some clips with outside music were included and eventually taken down). I thought I once read somewhere that everybody who's been involved with Sesame Street still gets residuals for their work (and I read an article from the late 1990s about John-John which said that, at least when the article was written, John-John still gets residuals from his appearances). And I think I heard that for commercial releases Sesame Workshop has to renegotiate residuals with everybody.

But then I figured the actor who played Gordon in the test pilots, the first of which is commercially available, would have to get residuals (and that they'd have to have his name on file). But somebody told me that back then contracts regarding residuals weren't negotiated until after the pilots were made, meaning that he only got paid once. I wonder how this would apply to inserts that originated in the test pilots.

And another thing to consider: I recall that a few days before the 40th anniversary DVD came out, the man who was the "One belly button" kid in Henson #1 made a post asking where he could find a copy of that formerly-rare skit. And that clip had been on sesamestreet.org for a month (of course I don't know if people get residuals after certain periods of time and it just happened to not be a residual period). I would have expected Sesame Workshop to have tracked him down and prepared to pay him for his appearances before it was commercially released. I don't think Sesame Street is one of those productions where people only get residuals for a certain number of broadcasts (and if it was, how would insert residuals work?), and of course we all know how rare it was for that segment to be broadcast. Of course in one of his posts he said that Jim Henson gave him 20 dollars for his performance, and his mom made him give it back. I'd hate to think how his residuals would have been handled due to that (having to give back residuals would be terrible).

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
That was interesting that you mentioned that, Minor Muppets because as soon as I read the first thread here, I had the unidentified pre-Matt Robinson Gordon in mind. Maybe someday we'll find out who he was as well. That would be neat that someone would get paid each time someone watches only a 60-90 second clip. I sort of learned about this when I read the Beverly Cleary book 'Ramona and her Father.' It's interesting that all someone has to do is shoot a commercial/insert once and continue to get paid each time it airs, or if it doesn't air anymore which is the case with the baker sketches, each time someone watches it online, whatever the case may be. I wish I were able to do something like that and get lots of money from it. Then I may not be stuck with the crappy job where I'm working now. Lol.