The Fanfic Research Thread

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
#3.
Robin: Uncle Kermit, is this the true story of how the Muppets met?
:smile:: Well, it's a close approximation thereof.

And then during the extended ending...
:smile:: What'd you think Robin?
Robin: Uncle Kermit, I think you're a great actor.
:smile:: That wasn't acting, that was real life.

So make of that what you will. True story, semi-true story, Hollywood true story (not to be confused with E!'s True Hollywood Stories).

#5.
MB is difficult to answer, we have a thread about that with Drtooth being the principal proponent of the Piggy's fantasy rationalization, even though you do end up with a movie reel of the very first Christmas the Muppet babies shared together during Muppet Family Christmas (MFC). There are those like RedPiggy who on the other hand see MB as an actual possibility, being looked after Nanny for most of the day and sometimes nights before returning to their individual families. This second theory is also found in ReneeLouvier's Sadie's Stories, though you have to read through to Book 4 In Search of Sadie to find it.

Hope this helps.

Slackbot

Reaction score
2. I don't recall Fozzie ever having a "full name." You can see the full, unedited Muppet Family Christmas on Youtube, if you want to research it. In fact...

3. At the beginning , when the Muppets are about to watch the screening of TMM, Robin asks Kermit...
Robin the Frog: Uncle Kermit, is this how the Muppets *really* got started?
Kermit: Well, it's sort of approximately how it happened.
So, it's not the absolute truth.

4. I don't believe that's ever been addressed except in The Muppets.

5. If you can come up with a reasonable explanation that allows Muppet Babies to be canon while also accepting the characters meeting up sort of approximately the way they did in TMM, and do it without a time machine, I'll be impressed. The way I see it, MB is complete AU.

6. It's one story, but there are two sides to every story. :wink:

BTW, Gina, off-topic: is RBcorner gone? I just tried to go there and t seems to be 404. And if you remember my ReBoot fic, well, I'm still at it over here. You can find most of my stuff listed in Ed's fanfic library thread.

Edit: Curses! Ziffeled again!

WebMistressGina

Reaction score
2. I don't recall Fozzie ever having a "full name." You can see the full, unedited Muppet Family Christmas on Youtube, if you want to research it. In fact...
many Garcias! I was trying to find this, as someone one YT I think mentioned that the actual video cut out a lot of the scenes that the original had. I saw the original on TV (which I believed was followed by Emmit Otter's jug band), so I was kinda disappointed that I wouldn't be able to find the one I saw.

3. At the beginning , when the Muppets are about to watch the screening of TMM, Robin asks Kermit...

So, it's not the absolute truth.
That's what I was thinking. I actually had a hankering to watch TMM later tonight with The Muppet (the child, not the characters or movie)

4. I don't believe that's ever been addressed except in The Muppets.
Oh good! :smile: Works in my plans then.

5. If you can come up with a reasonable explanation that allows Muppet Babies to be canon while also accepting the characters meeting up sort of approximately the way they did in TMM, and do it without a time machine, I'll be impressed. The way I see it, MB is complete AU.
Well again, it was my adult self that realized that MB is kinda contridictory, however none of the movies are tied together and even the Muppet Show can be in and out of canon.

Personally, while I loved the show, there was one character that irked me and whom I felt shouldn't have been there and that was Skeeter. Now, while I disliked Skeeter and will probably never use her in anything, the good news is I don't hate her as much as I hate a certain puppy who not only managed to dismantle Mysteries Inc, but the Beatles too and probably other classic rock groups of the 60s and 70s.

6. It's one story, but there are two sides to every story. :wink:
Good to know. Haven't worked out my idea for the house yet, but I'm thinking one story myself.

BTW, Gina, off-topic: is RBcorner gone? I just tried to go there and t seems to be 404. And if you remember my ReBoot fic, well, I'm still at it over here. You can find most of my stuff listed in Ed's fanfic library thread.
You know, I was there yesterday and got the same thing, which of course really worries me as, all of my stories are still there (mostly) and it's the place I go when I update the RB portion of my website.

The new Java Hut is up, but I didn't see any posts about it, which I should probably see if this has been going on longer than just yesterday. Technically, I'm still working on the Beginnings Saga and ReBoot Wars...and that's just RB. No worries, people! The longest I've gone without updating a story was...um...a few years, but I do come back!

I will eventually finish everything I've started. Before I'm 50. That's a goal now.

Sweet! I think I got the answers and clarification that I needed! All right!

Slackbot

Reaction score
Well again, it was my adult self that realized that MB is kinda contridictory, however none of the movies are tied together and even the Muppet Show can be in and out of canon.
Yup. My personal logic is that The Muppets are entertainers. What we see are performances. Some are based on reality, some are pure flights of fancy. Which is which? They ain't tellin'. This allows me to pick and choose the elements I like. Convenient, eh?
Personally, while I loved the show, there was one character that irked me and whom I felt shouldn't have been there and that was Skeeter. Now, while I disliked Skeeter and will probably never use her in anything, the good news is I don't hate her as much as I hate a certain puppy who not only managed to dismantle Mysteries Inc, but the Beatles too and probably other classic rock groups of the 60s and 70s.
You...likened Skeeter to Scrappy-Doo?! Fellow 'Booter or not, I'm gonna have to hurt you for that. Get over here and present your shins for a kickin'.

I liked Skeeter in the cartoon. I wouldn't go as far as calling myself a fan, but I could appreciate the gutsy little ankle-biter. Anyone who'll stand up to Piggy is all right in my book. And in the Boom! comics, Langridge and Mebberson gave us an adult Skeeter that won many, many fans over. That's the Skeeter that appears in my fics.
You know, I was there yesterday and got the same thing, which of course really worries me as, all of my stories are still there (mostly) and it's the place I go when I update the RB portion of my website.
I home that the Java Hut is not gone. I hate it when the grand old sites from the heyday of the fandom vanish. I felt like wearing a black armband when A Minor Glitch disappeared. (Slack & Hash's Domain ain't going nowhere as long as I have anything to say about it!)

Misskermie

Reaction score
----------------
I've seen her pecking at corn in one ep (their first big date, though I forget what ep). She is, however, allergic to wildflowers...so I'm guessing no seed-foraging!

---------------
That was The Leslie Uggams episode.

WebMistressGina

Reaction score
Hey, very quick question -

Are there any noodle incidents that have happened during the course of the show or movies? For anyone who doesn't know, a noodle incident is a story or incident that has taken place outside of the viewing audience and is referred by characters, but never actually explained.

It's taken from the Calvin and Hobbes strip in which Calvin was involved in some sort of incident at school that - IIRC - involved teachers, noodles, and the police. It's mentioned off and on, usually with Calvin stating that no one saw him do it and it can't be proved that he was there, etc, but the actual incident is never explained.

I originally had an idea for Star Trek TNG with this, but the idea kinda does make a bit more sense in the Muppetverse, considering who are characters are. Miss Ru had a really funny line in, I think Kermie's Girl, where Piggy's agent Marty reminded her that she didn't want to do community service again, which I thought not only funny, but true and in light of the idea I'm working on, it's kinda gotten in my head that there are probably some crazy stories out there.

And yes, this will be a fic at some point. And yes, I did manage to actually start something yesterday. And yes, I might even work on it later today.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Not that I know of. Not saying they don't exist, just that I'm not familiar with the example in order to provide instances in the Muppaverse/Hensondom.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
The "banana sketch" could work, if you presume that everyone has actually witnessed it and it aware of the joke.

Misskermie

Reaction score
Um, when Gonzo said he lived in a cement mixer?