The final Season on CBS

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
Okay, Iv'e been looking through some TV history books lately and in all of the it says The Muppet Babies ran from 1984-1992. Oddly enough, the CBS station in my area didn't air the show from 1991-1992 and it went off the air in the late summer of 1991. My CBS station of was funny that way. I remember the show "Hey Vern It's Ernest" was supposed to come on right after Garfiled and Friends, and the announcer would even say Ernest was coming on next, but it never would, every week some news show would come on again. The same is true of Rude Dog and the Dweebs which ran during the 1990-1991 Season. I never got to see that either. I eventually gave up on Saturday morning Cartoons sometime in the late 90's. Once they took off the Bugs Bunny and Tweety show, that was the last straw for me. But back to the subject. Did anyone else have problems like this with their CBS station on Saturday mornings years ago?

erniebert1234ss

Reaction score
If I remember correct, MB on my CBS station went off the air in 1990 or 1991. Is anybody on here who lived in the Raleigh, NC area during that time and remembers better than I?

BJ

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I think CBS only showed reruns during the 1991-1992 season. 1984-1992 would be eight seasons, but I've seen episode guides that only list episodes for 7 seasons. Also, I remember watching the show on CBS a few times during the summer of 1992 (before Nickelodeon started showing reruns) and I saw a few episodes that were from earlier seasons, like Comic Capers (I think that's the title of the episode where everybody makes their own comics) and the episode where Kermits favortie western show goes off the air. I'm sure those are from earlier seasons. Both of those were shown on Nickelodeon, and Nickelodeon only showed the first few last season episodes.

Drtooth

Reaction score
An old thread, but here's the deal:

A lot of certain local stations cut an hour or two out of most network programming, either for Local sports, infomercials, or some other stupid thing like that. Sometimes, the cut programming was on early Sunday morning. My local ABC affiliate hasn't shown anything past 11 in years. Replacing it with lame "Inside edition" type shows.

So, Muppet babies may not have aired in certain markets. In fact, a TMNT season 1 DVD (it only had 5 episodes) had a bonus feature of 4 "lost" episodes, which were basically only lost because certain CBS affiliates returned to local garbage programming (informercials again) during it's time slot.

MustangRockstar

Reaction score
This falls under the great mysteries of Saturday Morning cartoons section. It's actually something that the internet has given new life to recently. There's even a place that has an old TV guide listing of the lineups, though it's hard to read. I do miss Saturday morning cartoons and I think they were pretty good in the mid 80's to early 90's. I never bought into the idea that they never sold well, no one can tell me that news programs are cleaning up the market on Saturday's. What essentially happened was one idiot who is making too much money got an idea and it became the "in" thing to do. Having worked with the media for a while it only contributes to my general disdain for them.

But to answer your question, it comes down to the market. For example where I lived, showed them until the 1992 season and then it disappeared. A similar problem exists with Garfield and Friends which is shown as running until 1994 in some markets, but was on till 1995 where I lived.

1992 was the begining of the end for a lot of programs. It started a downward spiral that pretty much ended in 1995 with Garfield and friends and was finalized in 1997 with TMNT which at that point was a shadow of its former self.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I've read that in some places they used to air three episodes of MBS in a row. Where I lived at the time, I only recall them airing two episodes in a row, and then Super Man or the Pound Puppies or something like that. Any way, I recall seeing episodes of MBS in 92, It was the very last show to air on CB S's Saturday morning schedule, but it didnt affect the ratings. Garfield & Friends came on at a later time during it's last season, 30 minutes of new episodes, and then an older Garfield special such as Here Comes Garfield, which ended in 95, the thing is it ended in the 94/95 season, so sometimes they say it ended in 94, while others say in 95. The the thing about Muppet Babies is that they aired the other half of the season in 92.

MustangRockstar

Reaction score
Ilikemuppets said:
I've read that in some places they used to air three episodes of MBS in a row. Where I lived at the time, I only recall them airing two episodes in a row, and then Super Man or the Pound Puppies or something like that. Any way, I recall seeing episodes of MBS in 92, It was the very last show to air on CB S's Saturday morning schedule, but it didnt affect the ratings. Garfield & Friends came on at a later time during it's last season, 30 minutes of new episodes, and then an older Garfield special such as Here Comes Garfield, which ended in 95, the thing is it ended in the 94/95 season, so sometimes they say it ended in 94, while others say in 95. The the thing about Muppet Babies is that they aired the other half of the season in 92.

That seems right for where I lived as well (later timeslot in its last season).

I also remember the older Superman Cartoon and Pound Puppies that's going back into the 80's at this point. There were a few cartoons I liked that are pretty obscure like that. CBS really did have a good lineup for a lot of years.

This thread is actually kind of depressing for me.