The first thing you ever remember seeing on Sesame

SCOOTER_101

Reaction score
I have a question for everyone. Now I know all of us are all different ages, so there was different time frames from when you were watching Sesame Street. For example a person who is 18 years old right now would pretty much be watching regulary from the ages 2-6 or 7 (Or never stopped watching like many of us fun people here) which means since that 18 year old was born in 1987 they would remember just about everything that happened on Sesame Street from 1989-1994 or so. But the question I have is how old is everyone, and what is the first episode, or the first charachter or thing you ever saw take place on Sesame Street as far back as you can remember. I was about 2 years old and it was in Season 14 of Sesame Street (the 1982-1983 season) Big Bird was walking along in the arbor area carrying this big Plastic bag that was full of Candy. It had Lolipops and all sorts of other things in it and Big Bird stopped looked at the camera and said "Oh hi! Welcome to Sesame Street" Now I was so little at the time, I do not remember what this episode was about or what ended up happening later in the show but I do remember Gladys being with Big Bird at some point in the episode in Big Bird's nest area but I do not remember what they did. Now everyone think real hard. What is the first thing you ever remember seeing on Sesame Street and what year was it? :confused: :confused:

Fuzzy and Blue

Reaction score
that's kind of tough to determine...I'm now 16 years old and can vaguely remember seeing "Wet Paint" by How Now Brown Cow and the Moo Wave sometime in the early '90s. Must've been 1991 or 1992, because it was before my brother was born (and he was born in 1992). So, I was about 2 or 3 when I saw that...I am not sure how I can remember that far back!

~Dana~

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
The first memory I have of Sesame Street goes back to the early 80's with Ernie and Bert in the fishing boat. I only vaguely remember this, but my mom says when that skit came on I would get really excited and start jumping up and down. I think Ernie and Bert were my favorites when I first began watching, I thought of Sesame Street as the Ernie and Bert show, but when I got older I grew to love Cookie Monster and Grover as well. My earliest memory of Cookie Monster is the "If Moon Was Cookie" song and my earliest memory of Grover is the Grover the waiter sketch with the mexican hat dance (ole ole ole!)

ssetta

Reaction score
I think the very first thing I ever saw on this show was actually a live-action film called "Musical Scales 1-8/8-1" back in 1988. It was on a black & white TV that we had at the time, and in this film, they jumped through these 8 hoops, and they played a xylophone (which I was fascinated with, because I had one at the time), and they sang this song "1 for the money, 2 for the show, 3 to get ready, 4 to go, 5 stand up high, 6 nice and straight, 7 at the end, 8." And then they count backwards and jump back through the hoops, but they just said the numbers. They did this a few times for a few different kids in the class (it was a music class). But it was the first time I ever watched TV pretty much, and I remember getting upset because I wanted to watch it again, and I couldn't.

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
Man, you guys are young!

So, none of you guys were alive when SESAME was REALLY good during the 1970's?

You don't remember seeing Mr. Hooper or Sherlock Hemlock or Roosevelt Franklin being on every day?

I remember all of the old SESAME STREET specials, like Gene Shalit hosting "SESAME STREET AT NIGHT" in 1976 on PBS- That was weird.

I remember when ELECTRIC COMPANY was on and both casts would visit each other's shows every so often. Morgan Freeman as Easy Reader would be conversing with Gordon on the stoop.

I remember seeing Sam the Robot all the time.

I remember when SESAME went to NEW MEXICO and HAWAII. I remember reading about the taping of the Hawaii shows in TV Guide and they had a picture of a helicopter carrying Snuffy.

I remember when Oscar was in a different trash can and was shaggier than he is now.

I remember Buffy Saint Marie and Cody living on the Street.

Don't get me wrong - SESAME was still good in the 1980's, but there's no matching when it was fresh and new in the 1970's.

I mean, can't you guys tell by watching SESAME UNPAVED how much better it was?

fatblue

Reaction score
Ernie and Bert

Kermit

The AMs (amything muppets)

Big Bird

sugarbritchez

Reaction score
I remember Kermit as the news reporter.......that is when I first fell in love with him.....errr, I mean started liking Jim Henson creations.

LOL

Ziffel

Reaction score
jeffkjoe said:
I was only two and a half when I started watching SS (when it debuted in 1969) so I have no idea which muppet,human,skit,cartoon,or film I had the pleasure of seeing first. Great subject for a thread here, though!
Seeing Sam the Robot mentioned here made me smile. I got a kick out of him. "Machines are perferct...are perfect...are perfect..". Then the person next to him would nudge him to get him unstuck and he'd say, "Thank you."
I remember one time there was a baby crying in a baby carriage and whoever was babysitting him/her was having trouble getting the baby to stop crying and go to sleep. So Sam the Robot sings a lullaby. The baby continued to cry for a while, but eventually Sam was successful. I think the lyrics of his lullaby had to do with machines, such as electric mixers!

yiieepyepyep

Reaction score
a giant yellow bird trying to say abcdefghijklm...

I remember the counts first day at school and him counting all the potatoes and umbrellas. i also remember being terrified of the episode of bert and ernie when they sing rubber duckie with the MUMMY!!! scary stuff.
maybe someone can help me out. I remember seeing something a bit frightening with a bearded man running through woods or something...does anyone remember anything like that?
also -"one, two, two little cats" and "My name is you." :sing:

p.s. im a new member and im happy to join you all. :smile: :excited:

mikebennidict

Reaction score
jeffkjoe said:
Man, you guys are young!

So, none of you guys were alive when SESAME was REALLY good during the 1970's?

You don't remember seeing Mr. Hooper or Sherlock Hemlock or Roosevelt Franklin being on every day?

I remember all of the old SESAME STREET specials, like Gene Shalit hosting "SESAME STREET AT NIGHT" in 1976 on PBS- That was weird.

I remember when ELECTRIC COMPANY was on and both casts would visit each other's shows every so often. Morgan Freeman as Easy Reader would be conversing with Gordon on the stoop.

I remember when SESAME went to NEW MEXICO and HAWAII. I remember reading about the taping of the Hawaii shows in TV Guide and they had a picture of a helicopter carrying Snuffy.

I remember when Oscar was in a different trash can and was shaggier than he is now.

I remember Buffy Saint Marie and Cody living on the Street.

Don't get me wrong - SESAME was still good in the 1980's, but there's no matching when it was fresh and new in the 1970's.

I mean, can't you guys tell by watching SESAME UNPAVED how much better it was?
now let's not get so snotty. they're only going by what they recall. i do remember some of that stuff. the SS special i don't remember or even saw. i heard about some of the TEC cast visiting SS and while i only recall the last 2 seasons of that show i did see some of the SS muppets visiting TEC. maybe you could share what you remember about that including the 1976 SS special. never heard about it till now. also did you read my posting about everyone going to New Mexico?