The first thing you ever remember seeing on Sesame

Al Hempker

Reaction score
Wow, that's a tall order seeing as how I'm 32 and watched the 'Golden Years' of SS back in the 70's. I remember seeing Roosevelt Franklin, Sherlock Hemlock, Don Music, Buffy, Mr. Hooper, David, Herbert Birdsfoot, Frazzle, and so many others. I honestly can't remember the very first image I saw as a kid on SS. However, I remember that Bert & Ernie segments were always the best part of the season. I also remember the Hawaii trip and BB & Snuffy looking for Mt. Snuffleupagus.

Speaking of Roosevelt Franklin, remember the Monday Night Football parody with Showard Hosell (Howard Coseell parody) held at Roosevelt Franklin stadium? One memory I had was my family and I went to Riverfront Stadium in Cincinnati to see the Reds play back in the late 70s. The first thing I thought when I saw the stadium for the first time was the opening of the parody where they show the closeup of a stadium (I think it may have been the Astrodome). Ah the mind of a child.

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
It's been over 30 years,since I first watched SS.Obviously can't remember the first thing I watched on SS;but I do remember the earliest skits(to the best of my recollection)that were on at that time.I remember the Country Trio(Jim,Frank & Jerry) singing,Mahna Mahna,Cookie Monster as Casey MacPhee,Sam the Robot...

Pug Lover

Reaction score
I would have been about three years old when I first started watching SS during the early seventies.The first skit I recall seeing was Bob's musical number"Who Are The People In Your Neighborhood?".Somehow I even confused it with Mr.Rogers' theme song"It's A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood".

ssetta

Reaction score
Pug Lover said:
I would have been about three years old when I first started watching SS during the early seventies.The first skit I recall seeing was Bob's musical number"Who Are The People In Your Neighborhood?".Somehow I even confused it with Mr.Rogers' theme song"It's A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood".
And so do a lot of people, which I HATE.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I was 18 months old when Sesame Street premiered, but even at that early age I distinctly remember Brown Grover voiced by Jim demonstrating Near and Far.

That and Mahna Mahna.

DerekJ

Reaction score
When a career-bio documentary showed clips of an early Raul Julia as "Julio the Fix-It Man", I suffered a sudden attack of repressed memories... :embarrassed:

Tweekyboy

Reaction score
It's funny...I don't think I saw Mahnah Mahnah until much after I started watching the show. Goodness, let's see (I'm 29 now), I think my earliest memories were the yip yip aliens and the telephone...definitely the typewriter guy- used to CRACK ME UP! I remember the Bert and Ernie sketches early on - especially the ones where Ernie kept Bert up all night. I remember Paul Benedict as the number painter (even saw Stockard Channing in one of those skits). Oh, and the baker-falls-down-with-pies number skits. The red ball that travels on track.

The cartoons I remember early on were...umm....Capital I, the Pinball number cartoons, the jazzy spies, the cat that licked up the ketchup with the kite, one of my favorites - the "O" cartoon/song with the bulldozer at the end.

Live action songs: There was one I used to sing with my cousin - I think it was called, "Swing Up High, Swing Up Free" with a young girl on a tire swing.
"Oh Can't You See - There's a Bird on Me". One I remembered early on, thnat I was thinking about the other day was the "I'm Round Baby..." song with the Ox and the goofy background music. Oh, another one of my early favorites that me and my cousin used to watch was the Raposo song, "Take a Breath!" Also his "Paddle My Way to You," was an early memory.

Other than that, I'd say Kermit on the street segments were early favs, and grover trying to seel Kermit stuff he doesn't need, and of course the Sound Guy - blad, blue-facved (made car and trumpet sounds). That's about it. Cool thread - reading everyone's answers brings back memories!

Jared C. :smile:

Erine81981

Reaction score
I was only 2 years old when Mr. Hooper died ( I think). I do remember seeing Mr. Hooper too not to say that I didn't get to see him in any epsiode becuase I did. My favoirte skit was Kermit's "Do Op do op" song about being a frog and other animals.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
well i was 2 when i 1st remember seeing SS even Mr. Rogers TEC and some others. i probably remember seeing Olivia for the 1st time a year witch i would of been 3.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
fuzzygobo said:
I was 18 months old when Sesame Street premiered, but even at that early age I distinctly remember Brown Grover voiced by Jim demonstrating Near and Far.

That and Mahna Mahna.
Henson voiced brown Grover? I thought he was always voiced by Frank Oz and it was just his appearance that changed.