The Food Cravings Thread

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ok, I just gotta say, never read this thread when you are hungry.

I'm craving a hamburger and a shake! But, it's Friday, I'm Catholic so I'm not eating meat on Fridays during Lent, so my craving will have to wait. Sigh.
I thought the Catholics didn't do that anymore?

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
I thought the Catholics didn't do that anymore?
Where did you hear that? It used to be ALL Fridays of the year believe or not, but after Vatican II it was changed to just during Lent. Maybe that's the confusion.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Where did you hear that?
My mom.

There was an episode of M*A*S*H where Father Mulcahy almost went into shock just because he tried a bite of steak, and he thought it was Friday until Hawkeye and B.J. reassured him it was Saturday, and I was like "what's Father Mulcahy's problem?" and Mom told me "Catholics used to not be allowed to eat red meat on Fridays" (emphasis on "used"); she also said that's why a lot of buffets like Shoney's only offer fish, and stuff like that on Fridays, but she also said that the Catholics don't necessarily HAVE to not eat red meat on Fridays anymore (like she also said the Jewish don't necessarily HAVE to eat strictly Kosher).

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Hmm, interesting. Well like I said, it used to be all Fridays throughout the year, but now it's just during Lent. Except for those 65 or over or something like that.

Pork

Reaction score
Ok, this may seem werid. But I'm really wantint to eat a nice salad at the moment. I've had way too much rubbish food lately and I just want something healthy!

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
I know what you mean Pork! I love a good salad every now and then. I love salad bars too, though maybe they're not as healthy since I tend to pile on everything they give you the option to have! :smile:

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
Hmm, interesting. Well like I said, it used to be all Fridays throughout the year, but now it's just during Lent. Except for those 65 or over or something like that.
That's right; the Catholic Church relaxed a lot of regulations during Vatican II, such as the language in which you could say the Mass. In the old days, it was Latin; now Mass may be said in the language of the people, although you occasionally hear about some conservative types who want to bring back the Latin Mass.

And yes, before Vatican II, it was no meat of any kind on any Friday; now it is just on Fridays during Lent. So we Catholics can have sausage or pepperoni on our pizza on Fridays during the rest of the liturgical year. And like I said, it gets a little interesting in my house during Lent because my father (who was originally Presbyterian) will not eat fish. A shame, really, 'cause the rest of us love it.

And the rules are a lot stricter on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday, for in addition to not eating meat on those days, we must fast - which means restricting ourselves to only one large meal and two very small meals (and no snacking) that day. But as Beth said, the very young, the elderly and the health-compromised are exempt from the dietary restrictions.

But I occasionally run into trouble in the dining hall at school on Lenten Fridays, because, let's face it, the dining hall's seafood/vegetarian options often aren't as plentiful or as tasty as the dishes with meat.

Pork

Reaction score
I'm really wanting some Ice Tea right now.