The future of Sesame Street

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I hardly call it that big.
Well, I mean, hype-wise, yeah, it was pretty big... moreso than Season 35, or Season 30, for that matter.
I just hope there's something good for season 45.
The fives seem to get a little better in-universe treatment... both Seasons 25 and 35 had anniversary specials. Well, Season 20 did too, Season 30 had Elmopalooza, which was supposed to serve as an anniversary special, but it was really more of an Elmo special than anything.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's very disappointing that we didn't get a special or anything for the 40th... even the 35th had that pretty alright Elmo's World based special that was just a regular episode. I swear that the 25th anniversary had at least 2 specials, as did the 20th. I just hope 45 and especially 50 get something amazing.

SpinneyBigBird1

Reaction score
Just my own observation on that issue: Let's face it, Caroll is much older now, he doesn't live around New York so he's really only doing Sesame whenever he really wants to
Not true. At all. I know Caroll personally, and let me say that he happily obliges whenever he is written into an episode. He loves working. The fact that he isn't on the show that much any more is not due to him to say the least. Whether or not the producers and writers think because he is getting too old, he shouldn't be on the show as much is a different story. But Caroll wishes he was featured on the show more. Maybe I'm just biased but it seems to me like he is still holding up very well (all characters mature over time as the puppeteer does, keep in mind). He has said many times that he plans to continue if all goes well until the 50th season. In what capacity remains to be seen. I hope though that Big Bird gets more opportunities in the coming seasons.

SSLFan

Reaction score
It still feels weird knowing Big Bird of all characters, who was quite prominent during my childhood days watching of the show, isn't used as much anymore. Sign of the times I guess? Sucks though.

I still stick by what I said however. Even if Carroll isn't physically able to do Big Bird, there's still Matt. So no excuse for his limited appearances. Joey can't write for him? There's other writers. Only legitamate excuse is -and I'm going way out on a limb here when I say this - is if Big Bird doesn't test well with kids like he used to. And I doubt that's the case.

And also, even if they feel he is too up in age to still operate the bird, then they could always write some good Oscar scripts. He worked well in his Word on the Street bits, why not use Oscar for those. Heck, even Big Bird if it means he'll get on screen more.

That's one issue with the block format. As countless others have pointed out, the different segments take up so much time, mainstays such as Bird, Oscar, Count, etc. struggle to find a place within the show. It's highly unfortunate for Big Bird and Oscar, since they were solely created for the street scenes! Which now are basically dominated by Elmo, Abby, Rosita, Telly, and Baby Bear.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I still stick by what I said however. Even if Carroll isn't physically able to do Big Bird, there's still Matt. So no excuse for his limited appearances. Joey can't write for him? There's other writers. Only legitamate excuse is -and I'm going way out on a limb here when I say this - is if Big Bird doesn't test well with kids like he used to. And I doubt that's the case.

Matt kinda juggles Sesame and Muppet Show characters now. If they were to have Matt take over as Big Bird, it would depend on if there are no major Muppet Show character projects at the time, and his willingness to fly back and forth.

SSLFan

Reaction score
Matt kinda juggles Sesame and Muppet Show characters now. If they were to have Matt take over as Big Bird, it would depend on if there are no major Muppet Show character projects at the time, and his willingness to fly back and forth.
That's understandable. However if Eric can juggle doing Grover and TMS characters, I'm assuming Matt can. Plus he also directs on SS, so he seems pretty prominent when around.

cahuenga

Reaction score
Street stories are usually taped around september- december. In 2011 ,when The Muppets movie was in production around november 2010- february 2011, the season 42 of sesame was taped between march and may . So they can combine the tapings os the two shows... I think it would be more difficult in the Muppet Show and Fraggle Rock days to the performers to perform in both shows...

FunnyBear

Reaction score
It still feels weird knowing Big Bird of all characters, who was quite prominent during my childhood days watching of the show, isn't used as much anymore. Sign of the times I guess? Sucks though.

And also, even if they feel he is too up in age to still operate the bird, then they could always write some good Oscar scripts. He worked well in his Word on the Street bits, why not use Oscar for those. Heck, even Big Bird if it means he'll get on screen more.

That's one issue with the block format. As countless others have pointed out, the different segments take up so much time, mainstays such as Bird, Oscar, Count, etc. struggle to find a place within the show. It's highly unfortunate for Big Bird and Oscar, since they were solely created for the street scenes! Which now are basically dominated by Elmo, Abby, Rosita, Telly, and Baby Bear.
I wish Big Bird would be in more Street Scenes, same with Oscar. But with Oscar, is it just me or is Sesame Street writers toning down Oscar's grouchy-ness. The last Street Scene I saw Oscar in: The Street We Live On
Last Street Scene I saw Big Bird in: The Good Bird's Club
And in the street scenes now, Telly, Elmo, Abby, Baby Bear, Alan, Miles and none of the characters from back in the day. Biff, Sully, Herry, Oscar, Big Bird, Cookie dosent have much screen time, Bert and Ernie (puppet form, gosh I havent seen the B&E puppets in a while!:stick_out_tongue::frown:),Kermit, and Herbert Birdsfoot anyone?

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I wish Big Bird would be in more Street Scenes, same with Oscar. But with Oscar, is it just me or is Sesame Street writers toning down Oscar's grouchy-ness. The last Street Scene I saw Oscar in: The Street We Live On
Last Street Scene I saw Bg

Oscar was just in a few episodes this past season, as was Big Bird.

FunnyBear

Reaction score
Oscar was just in a few episodes this past season, as was Big Bird.
Yeah, sorry I've missed the past few sesons (only watching a few episodes here and there and now Cablevison has Sprout, I've been watching that)