"The Geeful and the Gonk" (co-operation)

Rosewood

Reaction score
:smile: "Once upon a time, on the planet of Snew, there lived a Geeful, (shows a muppet that kinda looks like its from Fraggle Rock - its tall, skinny, and has its arms stuck strait up above its head and says "Geeful, geefull" in a soft high voice.), and a Gonk, (shows a short, fat, low-set muppet with normal arms that says "Gonk, gonk" in a low voice). Now the only thing there was to eat on the planet of Snew were nectarines, from the nectarine tree. Now the Geeful and the Gonk had a problem: The Gonk was so short, he couldn't reach the nectarines to pick them. And while the Geeful was tall enough to reach them, alas, he could not bend his arms to eat them. Then, one day, the Geeful came up with an idea: "Tell ya' what Gonk! Why don't I pick the nectarines and throw them down to you?" Gonk: "And then I'll feed half the nectarines to you!" They put their plan to work: (Geeful is throwing nectarines at the Gonk) "Have a nectarine, Gonk! (Gonk is getting bombarded with nectarines) "Have a bite, Geeful!" Now this idea worked so well that the Geeful and the Gonk decided they should give it a name. Gonk-"Say, Geeful, why don't we call this "Co-operation?" Geeful-"No, lets call it "Shirley!"" :stick_out_tongue:
Anyone remember this vintage clip or what Episode it came from? I loved it!

superfan

Reaction score
I remember that one! Such cute monsters, too! Was there another sketch along the same lines with similar muppets?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I barely remember this. For some reason I am thinking that Frank Oz performed the geefle and Jerry Nelson performed the Gonk, even though I haven't seen this since before I knew that the muppets were really puppets (and before I knew about the various puppeteers). Am I right about the performers?

Ziffel

Reaction score
Jerry Nelson definitely did the gonk. I brought this one up back in May in post number four . I had incorrectly remembered gonk as gop! I also had always wondered if he said "sharing" at the end. That would fit better with cooperation. However, it sure sounded more like he said, "Shirley".

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Actually, Jim Henson was the Geeful. He seemed to take great delight in pelting the Gonk with the nectarines :smile: