The Glorified Sock Puppet Pattern

rtgentry

Reaction score
That sounds awesome. Plan it out a couple weeks so that everyone can get the pattern and materials they need.

video567

Reaction score
i just got some new cloth would love to try this contest

Melonpool

Reaction score
Yeah -- I'm in. Any time after Easter weekend. Why don't you do this bezalel -- make the grand prize $20. That way, people could essentially get the pattern for free if they win the contest. And I'd think a lot of people might buy it just to participate. Just an idea.

So, shall we throw frogs and fraggles out of the running. :wink:

Steve

puppetsmith

Reaction score
Great guys! How about the Forma Trio as the grand prize? Or maybe a gift certificate if the winner already has the Trio?

I think we should steer away from the "frogs and fraggles" :smile: and make original characters. Too much emotion and sentiment is already attached to Muppet characters that it may cloud the voting. The best original character should level the playing ground.

Maybe second runner-up gets their choice of one of the Project Puppet patterns?

I'm just thinking out loud here. If enough people are interested though, I think we should do it! I'll have to figure out the details.

Phantom

Reaction score
As runner-up of the First Annual Bear Town Puppet Building Contest, I think it is cool to have runner-up prizes. The Bear Town contest might serve as a possible model for coming up with the rules and format of the contest.

CBPuppets

Reaction score
My Puppet Show Idea

That is a Great Idea. Speaking of which I'm Coming up with my own puppet Show Called ''Inside the Cube." I'm still coming up with the plot but there are a few characters that are look a likes to Lenny The Lizard, Grover, Scoop and Skip, Wilkins, Scudge, and The Rock and Roll Monster. sadly I haven't built them yet but I will Hopefully. it's very good with no swearing and all that.

puppetsmith

Reaction score
Hey Kuriboh Man, sounds like a great base for show.

Alright guys, after some thought, how about this:

The Glorified Sock Puppet Contest

Submissions can start soon and probably last for 2 weeks. The puppet has to be made from the Glorified Sock Puppet pattern from Project Puppet. The head and body portion of the puppet have to follow the pattern. The arms and hands do not have to follow the pattern - the builder can be creative with the arms and hands and make them fit their character. The builder should submit four pictures of the puppet from different angles and different expressions. You'll most likely need help from another person to take the pictures. A short write-up about the character of the puppet - its name, personality, etc. should be included.

Once all the submissions have been made, by the first part of May, Project Puppet will post all submissions on the web for the public to vote. I think best overall construction and character creation should be considered. Votes should be taken over a period of time - two weeks? a month? any suggestions here?

We'll have a grand prize winner and a runner-up. Grand prize will be The Forma Trio or a $150.00 credit with Project Puppet. The runner-up can choose from any one of the Forma Trio patterns or a $50.00 credit with Project Puppet.

These are my initial thoughts for the rules of the contest. They are not the "official rules". I also think we'll need at least ten submissions to make the contest worthwhile. Also if the number of submissions is more than expected, we may need to choose finalists for the contest. As to how to go about that, I don't know yet.

Any suggestions? Any thoughts? How does this sound to everybody?

mrhogg

Reaction score
Sounds pretty good -- and quite generous! One question I have, which is something of a nitpick, is about the body. Does it have to follow the body exactly? The one thing I didn't like about the pattern is that if you use posterboard for the mouth, you get a restricted range of facial gestures. I was thinking of, for the next sock puppet I build, not using the flap at all, and just going with foam.

Is that cool, as far as the contest goes?