The Glory of the 80's

beaker

Reaction score
The Glory of the 80's(was 'Snoop No More')

I guess our friendly chat about the 80's got lumped into the Snoop debacle.

So here to continue this...

Chilly >>>I'm all for that, Cory! I loved just about everything from the 1980s. Politically I'm pretty conservative, so the Reagan/Bush years were good ones in my mind. I also think that, while video games look and sound better than ever, they're just not as much FUN as they used to be back then. Some great movies came out in the 80s, from Empire and Jedi to the Indiana Jones trilogy to Back to the Future to The Goonies...I could go on and on. (And that's not even counting Muppet stuff.) The music from that period was fabulous too<<<

Holy cow we are so on the same page Tom!!! I loved the politices of the 80's...just so much mor einteresting than the 90's. And the video games of the mid to late 80's hands down beat the pants off today's games as far as fun. (Thats why companies are starting to go back to old school style)

And 'some' great movies came out in the 80's? Oh man, a tidal wave! 1982 alone saw ET, Dark Crystal, Tron and Blade Runner.
Empire, Jedi, GMC, TMTM, Labyrinth, Back to the Future 1&2,
Goonies, Willow, etc. And the music! Talking Heads, Devo, B52's, Weird Al, Madonna, Public Enemy, Depeche Mode, The Cure, New Order, The Smiths, Pet Shop Boys and yes Jamie...Cyndi Lauper.

Dr. Tooth>>>I just didn't like it, and I don't think it was that good. Plus there was no Kelso and Fez. I mean come on!!!!!

Though I like the 80's some what, there are things I can't abide that are coming back, greed, bad economy, Bush in the white house, Care bears...ugh!!! But in turn, we have the classic games of the 80-'s, like Donkey Kong, DK Junior, and Mario Brothers (orignial) making combacks on this /clever little card reading device called an E-reader for GBA. I know, but this is the best I could come up with at 9:46, during a break in my class!<<<

Yeah, no Kelso or Fez...like I said 80's show lacked that chemistry.
Anyways, while Ive never been conservative, being 10 and hearing baout Iran Contra, Regan, Sandanista guerrillas, Berlin Wall, Stock Market crash...it was all very exciting politically.
Oh, and please dont mention the Care Bears *shivers* hehe
Oh yeah, that e-reader thing is cool...but again Nintendo is ripping us off by charging $40 for the reader. Though I like the idea of NES games on a cardboard little thing. I hope they make Super Mario Bros 1 and some other fun classics that dont require passwords or battery backup.

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
*streches suspenders with his thumbs*

I came out of the '80s :big_grin:

--"Scary" Larry Wolf

Crazy Harry

Reaction score
Before we continue, I think we need to look at a few of the things about the 80s that should never have been.

Acidwash jeans
Spandex
'Culture Club'
Way to many different hairstyes to name...

Billy's Girl

Reaction score
The music from the 80's has got to be some of the best music ever - certainly better then the 70's or 90's so we can forgive people for such horrors as Acidwash Jeans and strange hair-styles.

GWGumby

Reaction score
Has anyone been watching that new show "Do Over"? I know there are a few inconsistencies and anachronisms, but it's been fairly enjoyable the last few weeks reliving some of the 80s in a slightly more nostalgic entity than "That 80s Show."

If anyone hasn't seen it, it's on the WB on Thursday nights (Yes, at the same time as Scrubs, Survivor, Monk, and countless other shows that I want to watch all crowded on the same night!) It's about a mid-30s guy from today who gets to relive his high school life in the 80s while still knowing what he knows today. It's a pretty intruiguing premise and it's been fun seeing what they do with it. I'm not sure how it's doing ratings-wise, but I hope the show keeps running for a while.

Crazy Harry

Reaction score
I'm not trying to dump on the 80s. I'm just saying that before you go praising everything that was good about it, you need to admit there were many things wrong about it.

Wham!...

Drtooth

Reaction score
Though personally, my decade of choice is the 60's (mainly because I didn't have to live then!), the eighties were pretty darn good. I remember doing a Halloween play back in 7th grade. it was a Somerville thing, exclusively to my old school. We usually do a point in history, and I lucked out and got the eighties (because I lived in them, I knew a lot about it). I got to play Super Mario.

But, I've got to say, the eighties were an exciting decade, politically speaking. Basically, with Middle Eastern Terrorists, bad economy, and George Bush in the wite house, it took us all those years to get back to we started. Isn't that quite the oddity?

I just hope Weird Al releases a new album. I was anticipating it since the 1999 "Running with Scissors."

GWGumby

Reaction score
Weird Al is working on it. He's recorded some original tracks (using one of my other favorites, Ben Folds on one of them.)

I believe he's waiting for the next big cultural event to kick start an album. If you look back at Al's history you'll see his lesser performing albums have all been released when nothing interesting was going on--Alapalooza, Polka Party & UHF to be specific.

Anyhow, I'm one who wishes he'd just keep cranking stuff out, but that's just me.

And Crazy Harry-- Every decade has plenty to be embarrased about. However, it's amazing how nostalgia can make even things like Poison and Ratt look good.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by GWGumby

I believe he's waiting for the next big cultural event to kick start an album. If you look back at Al's history you'll see his lesser performing albums have all been released when nothing interesting was going on--Alapalooza, Polka Party & UHF to be specific.
Yeah!! I remember watching him on Behind the Music, jokingly saying that his Polka Party CD didn't go platnum and he couldn't get that new beach house in Malibu, or someting like that and humorously breaking down and crying.

As with UHF, it was one of the Unfortunate bomb movies that has become a cult classic (follinging in the footsteps of Rocky Horror Picutre show, and countless others.) so it's no surprise that the sound track didn't do too well.

Alapalooza, it's kind of strange that that one didn't do too well. I mean, Jurassic Park and Bedrock anthem were two of my favorite songs.

Polka Party did bad, mainly because I've never heard of many of the songs he parodied (Living in America's the only one I knew).

I hope he does another concert in Massachusetts. I went to one in 1999... WOOOOO!!!

manoftheSTREET

Reaction score
I post regularly to an 80s forum...

It's my favorite decade. I consider myself an 80s baby since I was born in 1982.

I've always enjoyed the music, movies and TV of the decade. Since my dad was alive in the 80s, I remember that positively as well.

I didn't like the 90s after 1993...

For the record, I like those hairstyles...they're far more creative and fun than the modern conservative styles of today. I like Culture Club just fine. I thought Ratt and Poison were cool...I still do as a matter of fact.

Was there some bad stuff? But of course...

It doesn't matter, though...I'd take one bad year in the 80s over one good day in the 90s.

Sincerely,

John "manoftheSTREET" Kilduff