The Golden Compass Thread (Spoilers ahead!)

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
The Golden Compass Controversy..

This post is carried through from the Magorium thread:

(There has been a recent campaign to discourage moviegoers from seeing the film due to an alleged anti-Christian stance. The book series has not had this level of controversy. There are conflicting reports and excerpts about the intentions of the author, but it is uncertain if they are taken out of context. Maybe, maybe not. It is reported that the film takes a stance against theocracy, but some take it as an affront to theology as well.)

It appears that more and more these days there are no shades in the spectrum of opinion or debate - only the stark extremes. I tend to pull for the underdog, but I refuse to buy into anything hook, line and sinker. It is so easy to hear a few words, without confirming the accuracy of the source, and reacting to it. :embarrassed:

I have many friends who are pulling for the Golden Compass motion picture in taking an (unconfirmed) atheistic stance while other Christians in my life are boycotting. Neither really knows the full story. Heck, I'd see 90% of the films out there if I could. I love movies and the movie-going experience in general. That is not to say I enjoy each individual film, rather that I enjoy giving them a chance. :smile:

hollylime

Reaction score
I really enjoyed His Dark Materials when I read it. I was surprised to see them make it into a movie considering its contraversal themes, but like I said, it was a good book and it should make a decent film if they do it right. I'll be going to see it. The witches in the trailers look amazing!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'm going to wait and hear more reviews before I consider see it. Hollywood does not hesitate to put Christianity in a bad light and this book does apparently have a history, so I'm a bit wary. But I won't judge right away. Like I said, I'll wait.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
We've got a couple of weeks. You're right when it comes to film that the Christian community does get singled-out. I think it's mainly (however unjustified) due to the fact that it is seen as an authority figure in this country. Without sounding to patriotic, this nation was built by thumbing its nose at authority. For better or for worse it’s kind of the American way. :attitude:

I say films do this rather than Hollywood because Hollywood basically is big corporations. They see in dollar signs and trends and if they were smarter would make more product geared toward the Christian market. I think it's a shame that in many eyes that means it would have to be controversial when it really wouldn't. Not to be idealistic or cynical, but there is definitely an untapped market out there. :wink:

I will be seeing Golden Compass its opening week (I try to see almost every film) and will jot down my own thoughts here. My upbringing has taught me what some could find offensive. I like to be fair-minded and compassionate to others even though I don't follow any particular theology. Majority or not, people frame their lives on their beliefs and that should be respected by film makers and film goers. :smile:

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Geez, I had no idea that this movie would be so controversial. I'm a christian and I really liked the books; same as The Davinci Code. If it's a really good story I don't get upset over it just because I don't feel the same way.

(I actually didn't like the 3rd book of His Dark Materials very much, since I felt it was too different from the first two, but not because of the fact that it sort of makes church organisations look bad.)

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Oh yeah, I don't really mind if the book/movie offers a different opinion from my own. As I say, I'm more concerned because Hollywood rarely puts Christianity in a good light. It's a bias situation that isn't being addressed.

I'm going to stop commenting for now, until I hear more. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Oh yeah, I don't really mind if the book/movie offers a different opinion from my own. As I say, I'm more concerned because Hollywood rarely puts Christianity in a good light. It's a bias situation that isn't being addressed.

To be fair, that's because a lot of Christian groups rarely put themselves in a good light. And these groups are way more political than religious. Religion can be a good thing, and bring hope to a community in times of crisis... and then of course, you get to the negative side which scares people into believing what the heads of organizations believe. This has happened throughout history. The Salem Witch trials, The Spanish Inquisition, The Holocaust... those put Christianity in a much more negative light than anything Hollywood can concoct . And don't get me on Anti-Semitic Christians. I mean, what do they think Jesus was? He couldn't follow himself, could he?

But then again, no one religion has been innocent throught history. Even Athiests have done terrible things in their name.

The problem is, there are good religious groups that never get mentioned. Religious groups that actually donate money to the poor and homeless, and not to political organizations. People who really want to help.

I can meet you half way. It may be cool to single Christans out (due to the political adgenda of certain groups) but it's also a cool thing to exploit Christianity. I've seen way too many "Jesus is my Homeboy" t-shirts and goods.

Frogboy is right. If they wanted to make the smart money, it would be giving the religious masses what they want, instead of hampering them. I mean, Narnia did quite well. I find it funny its the same production company.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
To be fair, that's because a lot of Christian groups rarely put themselves in a good light.

But then again, no one religion has been innocent throught history. Even Athiests have done terrible things in their name.
Exactly, It's true that there are some Christian groups that do objectionable things. But that is true of every religion. And it is not an excuse for constantly putting an entire religion in a bad light. It's unfair to the Christian groups that, as you say, contribute so many good things to the world.

The Inquisition and the witch trials were horrible; but no Christians in our life time contributed to them. In fact most Christians today condemn those events. It is unfair to judge a whole group of people based on the actions of its ancestors. And Hitler was not a Catholic, no matter what anyone says. He may have been baptized one, but he should not be compared to the great majority of Christians who try to be good, tolerant people.

There have been plenty of Athiests throughout history (and some in our life time) who have caused war and suffering and injustice (Communist dictators for one). But we don't say all Athiests are bad. The same should be said of Christians (but that is not always the case).

Christianity also has its good points like any religion. It's been responsible for social change, education and charity. It's also a religion that includes so many different nationalities and races, which is not typical.

All I'm saying is, there needs to be less bias. As someone once said, "don't judge a whole group of people based on the actions of a few." :smile:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Rational and conscientious religious groups and individuals don't receive as much attention as the rabid radical ones in our culture. I've come to realize that it's not because they don't speak up, rather the general public finds it more entertaining to listen to fringe ranting. It took me a long time to figure that out until watching enough cable news programs. They always seem to have battles from two extremely different fringe groups when most people fall somewhere in the middle. I don't think the more rational mind is represented much in our culture due to lack of interest. :zany:

I didn't know the same production company put out Narnia? :confused:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It took me a long time to figure that out until watching enough cable news programs. They always seem to have battles from two extremely different fringe groups when most people fall somewhere in the middle. I don't think the more rational mind is represented much in our culture due to lack of interest. :zany:
Lol, how true that is! It's just ultimately more entertaining to watch two extreme groups duke it out on TV (and never learn anything, and never reach any kind of truth). But in real life, most of the people you'll meet are fairly moderate. :wink: