The Golden Compass Thread (Spoilers ahead!)

Drtooth

Reaction score
Exactly, It's true that there are some Christian groups that do objectionable things. But that is true of every religion. And it is not an excuse for constantly putting an entire religion in a bad light. It's unfair to the Christian groups that, as you say, contribute so many good things to the world.
No excuse? Well, you know what they say, if you can't find a way to do something about it, make fun of it or complain. That'll get a lot done :rolleyes: .

Rational and conscientious religious groups and individuals don't receive as much attention as the rabid radical ones in our culture. I've come to realize that it's not because they don't speak up, rather the general public finds it more entertaining to listen to fringe ranting. It took me a long time to figure that out until watching enough cable news programs. They always seem to have battles from two extremely different fringe groups when most people fall somewhere in the middle. I don't think the more rational mind is represented much in our culture due to lack of interest.
Not to mention that these good hearted moderate non-political Christians don't have any sway. I mean, the extremists pretty much have huge leaders that give lots of money to politicos. Not to mention the fact that less then reputable religious leaders will use God and Christ as a way to scare people into believing what they believe.

There was this great Saturday Night Live TV Funhouse cartoon that illustraits my point. I think it had something to do with Christ rising again on Christmas, and seeing the televangelists use God's words for hate. he gets into a huge depressing funk, until he see the Linus scene and feels the real love of his religion shared in such a way.

To me, mocking Christians for the extremists is like making fun of Muslims for the actions of their extremists. I think satire is better held at those responsible, and not the middle people who try to do the right thing.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
There was this great Saturday Night Live TV Funhouse cartoon that illustraits my point. I think it had something to do with Christ rising again on Christmas, and seeing the televangelists use God's words for hate. he gets into a huge depressing funk, until he see the Linus scene and feels the real love of his religion shared in such a way.
I have that on DVD. There's a SNL TV Funhouse/cartoon compilation that's worth getting. It has Ace and Gary on the cover. I really like the Anna Nicole Smurfette spoof, however it seems a little morbid now. Still, it's funny. :wink:

The Jesus/Peanuts bit makes me smile every time! :smile:

One week away from the Golden Compass. I keep seeing CNN reports about it on the monitors at the gym. Couldn't catch all the caption, but it appears that the contoversy could actually help. Who knows? :zany:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The Jesus/Peanuts bit makes me smile every time! :smile:
Oh yeah, I loved that too! Lol

As for examples. It's just that Hollywood movies tend to be about the little guy overcoming an oppressive authority. It's a very American concept and a very noble one, I definitely support that. But unfortunately religion and Christianity in particular are often lumped in with the authority figures. There is some truth to that label, granted. But again, it's wrong to judge a whole group of people.

Two recent movies that did disturb me were the new Queen Elizabeth movie and Beowulf. The Queen Elizabeth film focused on Catholicism specifically, and delighted in showing crosses and rosary beads drowning in the ocean (in a very un-subtle manner). Now, it's not that I wanted the Spanish Armada to win, lol. But it was clear that the filmmakers had a modern day agenda going.

Beowulf makes numerous critical remarks about the "Christ God" and basically implies that everyone reluctantly converted to Christianity. The movie has very little to do with the original story or reality in the first place, hehe. And Hollywood would not be quite as eager to show ancient peoples eagerly converting to Christianity (and yes, there were many who did, despite knowing they would be killed for it).

Personally, I think one of the few decent representatives of Christianity or religion in Hollywood from recent years was Nightcrawler in Xmen 2. The filmmakers managed to respect the character's faith without banging us on the head with it. Nightcrawler is humble and compassionate, despite being treated so badly by the world. And yet he also has a clear inner strength that comes from his faith, that is greater than anger or vengeance. He doesn't hate the people who persecute him; he pities them for being so short sighted. Rarely do we see this side of Christianity or religion in films today.

Again, I'm not saying every film has to be religious. But there needs to be more balanced. If we're going to be a nation of tolerance, it needs to include everyone.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I loved that too! Lol

As for examples. It's just that Hollywood movies tend to be about the little guy overcoming an oppressive authority. It's a very American concept and a very noble one, I definitely support that. But unfortunately religion and Christianity in particular are often lumped in with the authority figures. There is some truth to that label, granted. But again, it's wrong to judge a whole group of people.
:eek: I also like the SNL cartoon because it deems Kathy Lee Gifford as being an oppressor. LOL! I'm glad that cartoon seems to be well-received by many.

Personally, I think one of the few decent representatives of Christianity or religion in Hollywood from recent years was Nightcrawler in Xmen 2. The filmmakers managed to respect the character's faith without banging us on the head with it. Nightcrawler is humble and compassionate, despite being treated so badly by the world. And yet he also has a clear inner strength that comes from his faith, that is greater than anger or vengeance. He doesn't hate the people who persecute him; he pities them for being so short sighted. Rarely do we see this side of Christianity or religion in films today.

Again, I'm not saying every film has to be religious. But there needs to be more balanced. If we're going to be a nation of tolerance, it needs to include everyone.
The X-Men history, as I have researched, began as a symbolic plotline parallel to minority fight for rights in the 60s and has kept up the same ideals in making them current - blacks, women, gays, Arabs and the generally misunderstood that gets dismissed with an ignorant sound bite by the modern culture. I suppose that would include conscientious Christians these days too. With any group or idea there's a spectrum between arrogance and conscience. It's nice to see that others recognize that too - including director Bryan Singer and Alan Cumming. :wink:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
The Golden Compass: An Actual Review!

:zany: "The Golden Compass" :zany:

There have been many recent debates about the controversial His Dark Materials books by author Phillip Pullman that the films were based. The first book of the trilogy has been around for well over a decade, but nobody notices books anymore. I must admit to have not read any of the books and on that basis I enjoyed the film.

The movie comes in at just under two hours. I did feel the length a bit – this is not a film for the squirmiest of ADD kids under the age of ten! There is also some bloodless violence and an ice bear fight with an unexpected gruesome end. Again, blood should be present when many of these blows are struck but it is conspicuously missing probably to give it a PG rating.

There’s a claim by some readers that “God is killed” at the end of the book. Again, I have not read the books, but this is not the case with the film. No such scene is present or even referenced. In fact, the scenes in this film unfold in a kind of careful, clinical efficiency. That is not really a criticism as much as an observation. Writer/director Chris Weitz is deliberate in every choice and inclusion in this work.

Much of the criticism thrown at this film is launched by the usual suspects, extreme right-wing megalomaniacs that haven’t viewed the full length film. I can understand the irritation of the Catholic Church. The Magisterium, the film’s malevolent force, appears to draw many of its concepts from that particular institution. However, if there are any parallels here they must be from historically documented and acknowledged misdeeds perpetrated by that sect of Christianity in centuries past. Catholicism, while still very popular, simply does not hold the kind of fascist power these days that the film’s Magisterium demonstrates. Sure, they have pull and political clout (as seen in the anti-Compass morning show tirades) but not this kind.

As I expected the film has more to do about opposing a form of autocracy or theocracy rather than any specific belief system. There is a difference between church and belief. A church is a group of people, a belief is what one or a group of people follow. A church can act in welcoming, menacing or benevolent methods. The feeling of the film is to encourage free thinking, free will and asking questions - all of the things the Magisterium tries to snuff-out. There are certainly churches like that as I know well that there are plenty that are not.

The movie has such a feeling of fantasy, morality and spirituality in its own right that I cannot see how it is anti-religion, in general, or promoting the thought that there is nothing beyond the world the characters inhabit. If anything it wants the characters to seek and learn answers. There isn’t anything atheistic about this film version of the “Golden Compass”. I suppose the movie can act as a Rorschach test. We see the picture with our own perceptions and experiences.

Now on to the effects. Fantastic! Rhythm and Hues (the company that provided Narnia’s creatures and the Coca-Cola polar bears) shines in this production. The creatures here (or daemons) are animals with intentionally heightened features. Not only do they interact with their surroundings and human counterparts, they touch in such a seamless way! The wonderful thing about the CG here is that it is entirely taken for granted. When a daemon’s paw hugs around its owner’s neck, the skin, light, hair and fabric on both participants react and communicate. This film should definitely win the Oscar for visual effects!

There’s a scene when Lyra is walking beside the ice bear. This is a great opportunity for the effect wizards to get some shut-eye and just allow the characters to walk singular file in their own space – but the girl puts her hand on the bear’s side and runs her fingers through his fur. This is not a plot-point. it isn’t necessary and goes by largely unnoticed by audience. It’s in there simply so that the viewers will believe this world - and it works!

I would cite the cast and they are all excellent, but nobody tries to chew the scenery or steal the show. Many critics don’t like that. They want some Nicole Kidman over the top diva moment or Daniel Craig kicking some creature’s butt in order to single them out as award-worthy or disastrous. That’s what critics do. The star of this film is the world and that’s how I think it should be.

I can understand the objections of the deeply devout Catholic and/or Christian community to make the choice to pass on this film. However it isn’t right to discourage others to view the film. That sounds more like the Magisterium talking. I felt the same way when people I know on the other side of the isle were upset at the “Chronicles of Narnia” motion picture. I like that movie too and it’s sentiment as well. I have been told author Phillip Pullman disagrees, well let him. Reportedly, the original Narnia books inspired him to write his own trilogy! I look at that as a win for everybody.

In months to come the more pious religious organizations will cite the film as a disappointment, even after passing the hundred-million-dollar mark. It will be unfairly compared to “Narnia”, a much more time-honored and established brand that obviously fared better. That sort of petty insanity happens with fringe groups. I read one such article that compared the world wide box office of money-soaked “Narnia” to independent film “Transamerica”. I kid you not.

I am writing this on the Saturday before the weekend’s box office projections are made public so I am going out on a limb with this prediction. There will be more of these films. I believe the Golden Compass will be the number one film of the weekend. It will pass the $40 M mark regardless of the controversy – hey let’s face it; there’s really no competition right now.

Bottom line:
Enjoyable entertainment!
B+

BeakerSqueedom

Reaction score
I saw the movie.
It was nice and all, but not my cup of tea.
The special effects were amazing, which made it all worthwhile.

The acting was intense as well.
It is a good movie...

I'd give it four stars.
X X X X [ ]

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I can understand the irritation of the Catholic Church. The Magisterium, the film’s malevolent force, appears to draw many of its concepts from that particular institution. However, if there are any parallels here they must be from historically documented and acknowledged misdeeds perpetrated by that sect of Christianity in centuries past. Catholicism, while still very popular, simply does not hold the kind of fascist power these days that the film’s Magisterium demonstrates.
Hollywood does not enjoy putting The Catholic Church, or hardly any religion in a good light. As I said before, it's insulting and unfair to keep presenting a religion the way it was so many centuries ago as though it was the reality today. Especially when it has also done so much good in the world. Then again, Americans love to go around complaining that they live in a facist dictatorship, when in reality we don't know what those terms mean. We are 5 times as fortunate than most nations in this world. But again, Hollywood will never show that.​

The film may have a sense of morality in itself. But Hollywood almost always gives the impression that religion is irrelevant to morality and anyone who is very religious is corrupt and absent of morals. That religious people don't encourage being open minded. Again, it's a very bigoted view against religious people.​

Other sources I've heard say the author wrote his books in order to make them "anti-Narnia."​

True I haven't seen the film yet, and if I do I will probably just rent it. Films are much too expensive and if there's a chance I will find this movie insulting, I won't take it.​

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
True I haven't seen the film yet, and if I do I will probably just rent it. Films are much too expensive and if there's a chance I will find this movie insulting, I won't take it.​
I get you. I do know that one person walked out in the first twenty minutes of the film and never came back. It could have been for many reasons. I do know it was in a particular scene when Nicole Kidman's character gets irritated when the girl questions the workings of the Majesterium. She discourages Lyra her from seeking her own answers because the Majesterium knows best and searching outside of it is harmful to everyone.

I admit to laughing under my breath at that - not because that's how Christianity or other religions work, but because that's how some mainstream branches of it operate. It's probably this very reason that the new lady on The View isn’t certain if the world is flat!

If the description of that scene in any way upsets you - skip the theatrical viewing. I get that. However if you don't mind it (or see a potential irritant there) I encourage you to get the beautiful epic scope of the picture and effects in the theater. Once films are on home video the largeness of them vanishes forever.

And if anybody is a Nicole Kidman fan, she hasn't looked better since Moulin Rouge! Daniel Craig doesn't look bad either. :wink:

Beauregard

Reaction score
*cough* *shuffle shuffle*

Just thought I'd throw into the debate that the author himself recently said in an interview that his entire point in writing the novels was to prove that God doesn't exist. Will find the quotes later, if ye wishes.

*shuffle* *cough*