The Great Comic Book Thread!!

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Yes Grail, this one's for you! :smile:

...and for any other comic book nerd for that matter. I'm an extreme lightweight in that field, and I really want to try to stay that way. But for now, here are my favorite comic books. Lets limit it to your top 10, okay you freakin' nerds!!! hehe, here be mine:

Ka-Zar
Astonishing Tales (with Ka-Zar and Dr. Doom)
The Incredible Hulk
Any Ka-Zar crossovers (ie. with The Hulk, Spiderman, etc.)
Star Wars (70's version, not the new stuff really)
Ewoks
Droids
Congo (please don't hurt me for that...)
Spiderman
Batman

Okay, let the titles begin to fly!

-Matt

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Um, well, I don't go after new comics except for one. I love to look for old issues of FR and other '80s cartoons (like "Care Bears" and stuff), and the only new one I will now go after is "Thundercats". :smile:

grail

Reaction score
you're really gonna make me do this? *sigh* alright...

as many people know, i received most of my comics from my uncle when my grandfather died. incidentally, i talked to him today and he's preparing 8 more boxes for me. i currently don't know exactly what i have, though i have found a great cataloging software at www.realmsofwonder.com so i'm slowly working on it. this is a list of what i CURRENTLY read, not just what i have:

Batgirl
Batman
Batman: Gotham Knights
Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight
Birds of Prey
Detective Comics
Nightwing
Robin
Transformers
Transformers: Armada
Battle of the Planets
Captain America
Exiles
Green Arrow
Green Lantern
Hawkman
Iron Man
JLA
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
Micronauts
Powers
Spider-Girl
(Amazing) Spider-Man
(Ultimate) Spider-Man
Spider-Man and the Black Cat
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Thundercats
The Ultimates
Young Justice

okay, i think that's it...for now...

beaker

Reaction score
This is an interesting subject. I plan on finally having a comic book out professionally in national comic stores sometime next year. It has been a goal of mine, ever since I started doing self published comics some years back. My love affair with comic shops though started when I was five. Around the time of Jedi I started going to hobby shops. In the late 80's I was into comics like Miami Mice, TMNT, Fish Polise, Fraggle Rock, and of course Batman.

By the early to mid 90's I was all but burnt out on the spandex hero American comic stuff...so by the late mid to late 90's I got really into indie comics. Sadly these get overlooked, but with a big distatse for DC and MArvel American stuff...I found myself getting into American indie stuff like Scud, JTMH/other Vasquez stuff, etc and heavily into Japanese manga like Shirow darwn, or Otomo stuff. In the last few years I have gotten really into what I would consider the greatest and coolest looking comics of all time: Dreamwave Productions. Each panel is like a digital cel from say Ghost in the Shell or Akira. Titles like Dark Minds, Transformers, Neon Cyber, Warlands etc do what other companies only wish they could put out, and thats beautifully layed out Japanese influenced digital manga in color.

I'd be interested to know what comic influenced artists are on here, and what projects you have planned? Some of my projects included reviving my fanzine, the comic book of course...completing a electronic music album, and the talked about pro looking muppet zine Ive hinted about. This is all 2003 stuff though.

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Cor,
I really was never a big Vasquez fan myself. I mean, I have read a good amount of JTHM, Noodle Boy, Squee, etc., but I never really could get that deep into it. Again, it has alot to do with the other people who read it that I know of, and trying not to be associated with them. (I mean...white guy in White Stripes shirt with "The WHO" nearly tattooed on his wrist just so happens to be the only white member of the hip-hop club?! And he freestlyes really really good? What the *heck* IS HE?!?!?). That is basically what I like about myself right now; I span alot of groups. In with the Mods, in with the Rockers, in with the Rappers, in with the intellectual teachers. I don't want to get in with the Vasquez fans I know though, being they aren't the most savory characters (ie. kids I was talking about it the goths post, but we won't get into that). I think some of his stuff is funny, but not enough to become a fan. And for the record, I don't like Zim. That has gone from an offbeat show to just another pop-culture display board. Like the punkie version of Spongebob (though they wear his stuff too now huh? :smile:)

Now the manga, that's a different story. I love manga/anime art (when done properly). If you haven't already, read the graphic novel for "Ghost in the Shell." Some images in there will blow your mind. Also, I'm a huge Cowboy Bebop fan ($180.00, I have my Perfect Sessions, hehe). Check out the mangas for that series as well. Amazing, even for black and white. And while I'm on the subject, check out the series "Excel Saga" on DVD. Easily the funniest anime I'ce ever seen. Really clever and hilarious, same director as CB (Watonabe). I suggest getting the indivisual DVDs rather than the box set, only because the box is subbed, and you really need a dubbed version to enjoy this show. I'm all for subs on my shows (wouldn't watch Bebop any other way), but for ES, you really need to be able to watch the entire screen to get every joke. Amazingly funny. :big_grin:

-Matt

beaker

Reaction score
cantus:

>>>I really was never a big Vasquez fan myself. I mean, I have read a good amount of JTHM, Noodle Boy, Squee, etc., but I never really could get that deep into it.

For somebody who has read and actually knows what JTHM, zim, Noodle Boy, and Squee are...I'd say youre a pretty big Jhonen Vasquez fan...most of the zim fans have probably never heard of his actual comic books. Ive been a fan of his for 7 years and consider his 'i fell sick' one of the best comics Ive ever seen.

>>>Again, it has alot to do with the other people who read it that I know of, and trying not to be associated with them. <<<

Let me guess, the so called 'goth/punks'...heh I suppose Hot Topic has the blanket marketing to sell any genre.

>>>That is basically what I like about myself right now; I span alot of groups. In with the Mods, in with the Rockers, in with the Rappers, in with the intellectual teachers.<<<

What is this, 1989? I remember in sixth grade using terms like rockers(80's hair metal fans), rappers, and mods(the word people used to describe what would now be 'goth') Hehe...there really is no labels anymore like that. Now its basically either preppy, g-punk(the limp bizkit red cap wearing slipknot korn fans) or real urban types.

>>> I don't want to get in with the Vasquez fans I know though, being they aren't the most savory characters (ie. kids I was talking about it the goths post, but we won't get into that). I think some of his stuff is funny, but not enough to become a fan. And for the record, I don't like Zim. That has gone from an offbeat show to just another pop-culture display board.<<<

It's too bad you associate whatever with zim and therefore dont like it. It's like if I associated ICP the comic with drug ingesting Juggalos:wink:

Like the punkie version of Spongebob (though they wear his stuff too now huh? )<<<

well...for the record Spongebob sucks...look at Invader Zim's animation and wacky humour...Spongebob cant come close to that animation level or level of out there humour. Zim is lightyears beyond Spongebob(which is really like Ren and Stimpy retread)

Now the manga, that's a different story. I love manga/anime art (when done properly). If you haven't already, read the graphic novel for "Ghost in the Shell." Some images in there will blow your mind.<<<<

Remember who youre talking to:wink: hehe I remember Ghost in the Shell by masamune shirow was one of my first introductions to color manga in 1995. Not only have I devoured that comic and the mindblowing anime, but Ive already looked through ghost in the shell 2: manmachine interface(out late october by dark horse comics) which looks to be the best looking manga or comic book ever...period.

Also, I'm a huge Cowboy Bebop fan ($180.00, I have my Perfect Sessions, hehe). Check out the mangas for that series as well. Amazing, even for black and white<<<

ehh, never been into the black and white manga stuff.
As much as I love Neon Genesis Evangelion, gundam Wing, Tenchi, etc...I just could never get into line art speed line stuff on cheap paper. Im glad Ghost in the Shell and Akira was in color when it was rereleased as trade paper backs.

And its odd, but whereas Dragon Ball Z is now after all these years the new Pokemon(as far as mainstream popularity)
Cowboy Bebop is now on the verge of becoming mainstream(with merchandise in the mall and Columbia Pictures release of the movie)

As for as anime, Im really not much into series. I dont like having to buy a bunch of dvds to watch a story...though I have enjoyed neon genesis, serial experiment lain, tenchi, and cowboy bebop.
As far as anime film dvds you must have...my picks would be:
akira special edition, ghost in the shell, neon genesis evangelion the end of evangelion(out very soon on dvd!), cowboy bebop the movie(bootleg dvd on ebay!), tenchi muyo in love the movie,
perfect blue, blood, metropolis, vampire hunter d bloodlust, ninja scroll, and princess mononoke. Cant wait for Spirited Away in theatres soon as well!

Gonzo

Reaction score
Here are my ten, just for good times sake:

Justice League (either Silver Age, Giffen, or Modern)
Batman
Birds of Prey
Nightwing
Titans (Wolfman/Perez)
Aquaman (Peter David)
Green Arrow (Kevin Smith)
Battle of the Planets
Anything from Alex Ross

...and then the occasional Green Lantern, Superman, Wonder Woman, Justice Society, Star Wars, Star Trek, etc....

Quinnnnnnnn

grail

Reaction score
woo! another DC fan! it's hard to find folks that will admit to reading comics without an "X" in the title (i don't count Exiles...you know, cause it's good) did you read Meltzer's first issue of Green Arrow this month? good stuff!

oh! for the record, Outlaw Star was released in boxed set form today. you can get it on Amazon for sure, but it looks like a retail release too. all 26 episodes, with I THINK english and japanese language tracks and subtitles.

Gonzo

Reaction score
Hiya Grail,

I'm a big time DC fan, again, probably because I grew up with SuperFriends and Batman and stuff...and although I'll read the occasional Marvel trade paperback or something, I'm not a big fan.

Haven't picked up the Meltzer GA yet....but I'm loving that they've revived Hawkman and Ollie...I really hope their incarnations will "stick" this time around.

Quinnnnnnnn

beaker

Reaction score
>>>woo! another DC fan! it's hard to find folks that will admit to reading comics without an "X" in the title (i don't count Exiles...you know, cause it's good) did you read Meltzer's first issue of Green Arrow this month? good stuff!<<<

I for one gave up spandex super power/team comics years ago...though I did look through the mangaverse Xmen titles when they came out.

It surprises me all the old school 50's and 60's pulp type spandex DC comic stuff still sells at the comic store when sitting right there is mind blowingly intense digital color manga and other attention grabbing faire.