The Great Comic Book Thread!!

Lu775

Reaction score
Comics

Here's my top 10 (the top 4 are titles I buy monthly)

1. Green Arrow (Kevin Smith)
2. Nightwing
3. Batman
4. Batman Detective
-------
5. Peter Parker: Spiderman
6. Amazing Spiderman
7. JLA
8. Birds of Prey
9. Robin
10. Batman Gothom Knights

Lu775

Reaction score
hey Gonzo

Originally posted by Gonzo
Hiya Grail,

I'm a big time DC fan, again, probably because I grew up with SuperFriends and Batman and stuff...and although I'll read the occasional Marvel trade paperback or something, I'm not a big fan.

Haven't picked up the Meltzer GA yet....but I'm loving that they've revived Hawkman and Ollie...I really hope their incarnations will "stick" this time around.

Quinnnnnnnn
Ditto on everything you said in that post!
I didn't start reading GA until Smith took over, but I'm loving it, and I plan to keep following it now that Meltzer's taken over....just have to get to a store to pick up #16. :smile:

Gonzo

Reaction score
Cool, Lu...Nightwing is one of my favorite characters, whether its from his Robin days or his modern version--Grayson is the best. I can't wait to see what they're going to do with him in the current JLA--which I'm hoping is a temporary roster change.

And Beaker, there are a lot of us out there who prefer the "classic" spandex heroes of our childhood to the Manga...I'm one of those people. I'm not a big fan of Japanimation, which I think is over-stylized and over-rated. But that's me. I'm not throwing rocks, just saying it is possible for someone to know both formats and prefer one over the other. But I do like my Battle of the Planets. That was my first lunchbox!

Quinnnnnnnnn

beaker

Reaction score
>>>And Beaker, there are a lot of us out there who prefer the "classic" spandex heroes of our childhood to the Manga...I'm one of those people. I'm not a big fan of Japanimation, which I think is over-stylized and over-rated. But that's me. I'm not throwing rocks, just saying it is possible for someone to know both formats and prefer one over the other. But I do like my Battle of the Planets. That was my first lunchbox!<<<

Well, what people should realize(or maybe they do) is that a good 75% of comics out there are in various ways 'manga' influenced. Even yes, the spandex classic types. See the new Wizard to see what I mean. As far as anime(I dont know why, but the words 'jap-anna may' or 'japanimation' bug me)
it's unfortunate most people think pokemon or other kid's stuff when they think anime, or some of the old school badly animated stuff. People would change their mind if they saw beyond epicly cool stuff like Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Neon Genesis, Metropolis, etc. Also, I hope people realize that starting with Tarzan in 1999 disney is now heavily anime influenced. Heck they are even now importing anime(Spirrited Away)

I used to be into the classic spandex stuff, but there's only so much you can do with DC and Marvel stuff. The indie and American manga(for the record, Im not much into traditional Japanese black and white manga) is doing some amazing stuff now.

It's good to see a lot of Transformers fans, one of the classic anime tv shows, and of course one of the coolest new American manga titles out. Compare Dreamwave's new Transformers, and Transformers Armada artwork to any DC or Marvel title, or even Image...and there is no comparison.

Gonzo

Reaction score
....and I choose to disagree.

Quinnnnnnnnnnn

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Shamefully, the cartoonist replies:

I don't buy comic books, but compilations of comic strips--I'm most notorious for trying to collect anything with Peanuts in it. I'm trying to build my Garfield book collection now.

I'm still waiting on someone to buy me the $35 book that is the collection of Charles Addams cartoons.

So far, my Peanuts 50th Celebration book and The Art Of Charles M. Schulz are my 2 fave books in my collection, though I just got Peanuts Jubillee and have yet to read it.

FOZ

Oh, yeah...how can I forget. Muley the Mule Comix are my favorite. www.midsouthcartoonists.com Most will know who Muley is.

grail

Reaction score

The Great Gonzo

Reaction score
Hmm, am I going to be in trouble for reading mostly Marvel? :wink:

My favorites at the moment are:
Exiles
Sojurn
X-Men (have an almost complete collection, much prefer the Claremont years to the miserable darkness that is Grant Morrison)
Ultimate Spider-Man
Ultimate X-Men
The Ultimates (yeah, that's right--I LIKE the Ultimate Marvel stuff)
Ruse
Rising Stars (when it comes out)
Spider-Man (love the JMS)
As for DC, I love Green Lantern and am really looking forward to Jim Lee & Jeph Loeb on Batman.

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Ain't Nothin' wrong with being a Marvel fan Gonz!!! I know I am. Ka-Zar and Dr. Doom are both Marvel, and they are my favorite. I like their original Astonishing Tales, and I just completed my Ka-Zar '97 run yesterday! The one thing I will say about South FL, we have some good comic shops. :smile:

-Matt