The Great Desire

PuppyLuver

Reaction score
I love this story! Even though I'm not a fan of Gonzo and Camilla having a relationship(I want him for myself nya), this is quite possibly the best romance story I've seen on these boards. :big_grin:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey... Can we please get some more of this story? You've got us wondering at just what happened between Gonzo, Camilla and Janice that could drive so great a wedge between them. Don't make us bring out the tools of the nagging trade...

40 fantastic fictional tales!

Java

Reaction score
Sorry for the wait - you know the move, work, and all. I do have an update though. I doubt it will be satisfying as it is very much a cliff hanger.

I'm not apologizing for it though. That's just how stories go!

Now, I'll stop delaying and get on with it next!

Java

Reaction score
Chapter 8

Gonzo sat quietly at the top of the stairs as he watched Janice complete her daily exercises. It was unsettling to both of them to be in the empty boarding house waiting for Camilla.

“Like, do you rully think she’s going to come?” Janice had asked Floyd before the rest of the gang had departed.

“I hope so babe. Maybe she was disconcerted by all of us last time.”

Janice put down her stretch bands and looked at the clock. With a sigh she eased into a chair and looked up at Gonzo. “So, like how long do we give her?”

“She’s not late yet.”

“I know, I’m just like rully, rully nervous. She probably still blames me.”

Gonzo’s eyes opened a little wider as the rest of his face fell in an agonizing puzzled look. “Blames you? I’m the one… Why would? What?”

Janice looked back up at Gonzo with tears streaming down her face. “You just don’t know about the remainder of that afternoon. Like I was just so…”

Gonzo came down the stairs and sat across from Janice on the couch. “You had no part of…”

“I was so reckless,” she sobbed.

“No, you had no control… You didn’t do it. If anything it was my fault.”

“But you rully trusted me. I promised you that nothing would happen and I let you down.”

“Janice, you did more than we asked you to.”

“Are you so sure about that Gonzo? Did you ever hear the details?”

* * * * * * * * * *​
6 ½ months pregnant – 26 2/7 weeks pregnant

“Here-a is zee ceke-a fur zee cheeckee, Juneece-a, und blooe-a veurdu. Bork Bork Bork!” Chef proclaimed proudly pointing at the bootie shaped cake that was tap dancing in the left over icing.

“Well, it sure ain't holding any of us hostage, yet. That’s a better start than usual.” Rowlf replied as he chased his fiancé through the kitchen to see what she had bought.

“Rizzo? Rizzo!” Fozzie’s voice sounded desperate as he searched for the rat. “Rizzo, I don’t understand!”

“Man, I can’t explain this to him again,” Rizzo whispered as he ducked into the pantry to hide.

Kermit walked into the fray and smiled. This was going to be one wonderful surprise baby shower for their friends. And if all went according to plan, there was also going to be another event to celebrate at the party. Kermit wasn’t going to hold his breath though; Floyd had been known not to follow through in asking Janice to marry him before because he believed “you don’t mess with the good stuff.”

Gonzo, Floyd, Camilla, and Janice stood waiting for the ferry to Staten Island so that they could split ways for the afternoon – Janice and Camilla catching up on baby things as they toured and shpped and Gonzo and Floyd just enjoying the time out together. They were happily oblivious to the rest of the group running amuck in baby shower plans back at the boarding house.

“You girls behave now,” Gonzo stated light-heartedly as he patted Janice’s ever bulging belly.

“Yeah, babe, don’t be leavin’ me for some other rocker. I’m liking the way things are between us.”

Camilla leaned over to Janice and clucked something private that dissolved the girls into giggles.

“Oh well, Floyd, I guess we just have to let this pair devastate the men of this town alone. Behave you two and we’ll meet you back at the boarding house!” Gonzo called out as they walked aboard the ferry.

Janice and Camilla took their seat where they could see the statue approaching. “Like, I can’t believe that we’ve been so close and never come out here before.”

“I know,” Camilla started to sign but was distracted by a speed boat across the water. Shaking off an unnerving feeling she turned back to Janice, “I’m so excited though. We really haven’t had a chance to spend time alone together since you said yes.”

“Rully, who knew that we would all be so excited by your baby?”

“You and I both know that this will always be our baby.”

“Oh Camilla,” Janice started this time cutting herself off as she was distracted by the speed boat that was quickly coming closer to the ferry. “Camilla, I think that we should move. Now!”

That was all Janice had time to say before the sound of crunching metal and wood filled the air. Panic took over as Janice ran to grab a life vest and slapped it onto Camilla to keep her from sliding underwater. Camilla reached for Janice as another passenger grabbed Janice’s shoulders pushing her underwater. Camilla fought to get Janice back up from under the water but her stature as a chicken kept her pushed around and unable to find where Janice had disappeared to.

Coast Guard boats were quickly arriving on the scene. Rescue swimmers were already in the water, calming those they could and looking for who may be trapped underneath. Camilla was plucked into one of their boats but was quickly sedated to protect herself from being injured more than they were. Just before she slipped under from the tranquilizer she managed to cluck out “Jan… baby.”

Floyd and Gonzo were amazed at how quickly the afternoon passed. They had learned that they had much more in common than they ever thought and were sharing memories from the early days of the Muppet Show as they walked back into the boarding house. Floyd stopped short as they got inside and held up his hand. “Something’s wrong here buddy.”

“I’ve never known it to be this quiet, have you?” Gonzo asked as they made their way to the living room.

The walked in to find the group staring intently at them. The tv was tuned to a news station at a low volume with scenes of a horrible boating accident. Miss Piggy was the first to break the silence.

“Oh, moi was so worried. Thank heavens that you all were not on that ferry!”

“It would have been nice if you had called to let us know you were okay. Some of these folks here were worried,” Rizzo said walking off in a huff.

“What’s happening?” Floyd spoke the words quicker than usual for him, showing that he was staring to get worried.

“Surely you’re not making Janice and Camilla carry in the spoils of their shopping spree?” Wanda asked trying to remind them of their manners.

“It’s hard to carry bags that when we weren’t shopping with them.” Gonzo stated starting to get a very sick feeling in his stomach.

“Chickee?” The chef piped up starting to feel panic spread around the room.

“Janice and Camilla haven’t gotten here yet?” Gonzo asked.

The room erupted in pandemonium as the fears of the Muppets that had been watching the footage of the boating accident were confirmed. Camilla was the only chicken on board that day. Floyd grabbed Gonzo and dragged him through the arms, legs, and torsos of the wailing clenching group as he sought out Kermit and Scooter who were disappearing into the kitchen.

“Hey, green stuff! Green stuff I’m talking to you!” Floyd burst into the kitchen confusion evident in his eyes.

“Floyd, Gonzo” Kermit started quietly. Scooter dashed around the room gathering water to heat, coffee beans and other comfort foods for the group. As Scooter started the water he pushed Gonzo and Floyd into chairs and Kermit continued. “Did you guys go with the girls to the statue?”

“No, we were giving them time alone.” Gonzo started, “Kermit, what’s going on?”

“What time did you last see them?” Scooter piped up still holding out hope that it was not their friends they had recognized in the footage.

“I don’t know. I guess about three.” Floyd quickly looked from side to side at Kermit and Scooter.

Scooter jumped up and grabbed the keys to the Electric Mayhem bus and Kermit started pushing them towards the door. “We’ll tell you on the way to the hospital,” was all Kermit could manage to get out as even he started to panic.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
*WIDE EYES* ...Camilla...Jan...Baby...

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

Oh PLEASE let them be okay!! AUGH!! *cuddles teddy*

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Ohhhhhhhhh.............I knew this scene would be coming, I knew it and yet I still wasn't prepared for it! Ok, well I didn't know it would be this EXACT scene but you know what I mean. Oh my oh my, I'm at a loss for words here! Eek, Janice, Camilla, Baby...oh my.

I'm going to still do it though, I'm going to ask for more please?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
You should be brave and ask for more please Beth... Seeing as how even Wanda's there in the mayhem of the panicking boarding house.

Rully great flashback and I hope this dominates the next part of the story... You have a lot of 'splaining to do.
Kermit: What is this "'splaining"?
That was certainly worth the wait... Camilla: Jan. Baby!
Please... Post more soon!

Java

Reaction score
Chapter 9

Camilla stood in the living room unnoticed, listening to Janice’s account of the accident. Janice had been so brave in thinking of saving her; after all, wings were not much use in the water. Her jaw dropped as she heard Janice’s next statement.

“I didn’t do enough, Gonzo. She saw that. I should have slapped the life vest on her and then swam us away from the group. Instead I thought to turn and get one for myself and panicked as I was pushed and pulled at. I didn’t protect your baby at all.”

“Bawwk! Bawk, bawk,” Camilla’s cluck rang out in shock as she ran over to fix her neglected friendship. “What do you mean?” The talon feathers on her wings were one big blur as she tried to keep up with her mind to get it all out. “Janice, you saved me and you didn’t have to. You did more than I thought possible. I’ve never, ever, blamed you for what happened.”

“If I had been more careful, Isabella… Isabella would not have been born early. You and Gonzo would not have gotten a divorce.”

“Janice,” Camilla managed to choke out as they embraced, tears running down both of their cheeks.

“Janice,” Gonzo whispered, “you didn’t cause the divorce. You also didn’t cause the accident which stressed you into labor.”

“Show’s what you know!” Camilla turned from Janice furiously. “You never listened! She didn’t go into labor, they had to take Isabelle early because Janice was to sick to continue to carry her.”

Gonzo stood unable to respond as Camilla continued. “You still don’t understand it do you? You stopped listening and talking to me. I had to go through it alone. How could I trust you after that? The hardest part of our lives and you wouldn’t…” Camilla broke off and sank into the chair.

“Would one of you please, please tell me what happened. How it all happened. I wasn’t there remember.”

“Camilla cut everyone off.” Gonzo’s bitterness became evident as he continued, “No one really knows what happened. Not even me.”

“Bbbggawwk!” Camilla forgot signing now.

“No, you can’t accuse me of that Camilla! I stood by you, I was there in person but you wouldn’t let me be there for you and Isabella.”

* * * * * * * * * *​
The same night as the accident – 26 2/7 weeks pregnant

“Camilla! Oh, thank heavens!” Gonzo exclaimed as he walked into the fifth emergency room they had tried and saw his love coming out the doors from the examining rooms. They embraced quickly as Camilla quickly continued on her way out. “Camilla, where’s Janice?” Gonzo exclaimed as they followed.

“Surgery,” she managed to cluck and then continued to sign. “She’s in surgery at Bellevue. We have to get there now. The nurse told me they are going to take the baby.”

They rode in silence that was only broken by Kermit mediating information on the phone to the doctors at Bellevue from Gonzo and Floyd. Camilla sat motionless willing the minutes to pass quickly so she could be with her baby.

“Man. Oh man,” was all Floyd could manage to get out between answering questions.

Scooter’s phone vibrated mercilessly against him as those who had been left at the boarding house tried to get information. Scooter finally reached down and turned it off, knowing that he wouldn’t be able to talk to the group until he had the hard facts. The van barely made it into the driveway before Gonzo, Camilla, Floyd, and Kermit jumped out to be met by a woman in a sleek business suite at the door. A knock came on the window as another representative offered to park the vehicle.

The followed behind the woman’s hollow sounding footsteps to a private room beside the OR waiting room. “They’ll be with you shortly,” she clipped out.

Nothing was ever short about waiting for answers. Floyd stood motionless in front of the wall, watching a black spot slowly climb. Gonzo sat with Camilla standing in front of him. His hands were on her wings and he was looking her over for any changes as his emotions warred with relief and sheer terror. Kermit sat patiently pulling together all the strength that he could muster to get through the next steps for the entire group. Scooter sat beside him, reading his notepad so that he could record the details others would miss. It would help to calm them as confusion set in.

People came and went. Laughter and tears could be heard. Someone came in and clipped out a quiet statement that “Sorry, things are taking longer than expected, the doctors will be with you as soon as possible.” Time stood still. Scooter called to tell everyone that there was no information. Miss Piggy, Rowlf, Wanda, Fozzie, and Zoot made their way down to Bellevue to wait with them. Some drifted into a sleep like trance as some were tortured by the thoughts pacing through their heads.

Scooter muted the sound on a rerun of “Ben Vereen…Comin’ At Ya” as Doctor Sahlin walked in with his collegues. Gonzo, Camilla, and Floyd shot over to them as the rest of the group sat on the edge of their seats.

Dr. Sahlin pulled of his surgical hat and gently crumpled it in his hands as he began. “I want to introduce you to the two attending physicians who are over your loved ones cases. This is Dr. Hunt who is an internist in charge of Janice’s care.” First Dr. Sahlin pointed to his left and as he turned to his right he announced, “this is Dr. Songoe a neonatologist who will be in charge of your baby’s case. I will let them fill you in on the details.”

There was a long pause as the doctors decided who would talk first. Finally Dr. Hunt stepped forward and started. “We really don’t have enough information for you at this time to adequately tell you what is happening. Janice is currently in the recovery room from surgery. She will be going straight to intensive care from there. At this time her condition is critical. We will keep her sedated and on a ventilator until I can further assess her. Due to the fragile condition of both herself and the child when she arrived she went straight to surgery. Obviously we performed a Cesarean section for the birth and then there was an emergency procedure to stabilize her spine and have had to put in chest tubes to allow a lung that had collapsed to expand again. When you’re ready you will be shown to the intensive care waiting room and I will be able to update you further after a full assessment.”

Dr. Songoe took a deep breath and then focused attention on Camilla and Gonzo. “I’m glad to see you are doing well Mrs. the Great, as I understand you went into the water as well,” he began, his tone of voice gentle and calming. He walked over towards a couch and motioned for them to sit down before pulling up a chair and sitting across from them.

“Congratulations are in order,” he continued amidst the puzzled looks of the Muppets in the room. “You have a beautiful daughter. She has sky blue down feathers covering her body. She has arms and legs like Mr. the Great and she has your beak and eyes. She is currently 400 grams which is fourteen ounces and fits gently within the palm of my hand.”

Several eyes closed around the room as they tried to imagine Camilla and Gonzo’s baby. Dr. Songoe was approximately five foot eleven and they couldn’t imagine any baby as small that could fit in the palm of his hand.

“We have some things working with us and some things working against us right now.” Camilla focused more on the negative and felt her heart sinking into the floor as she let Dr. Songoe’s voice flow over her. “What is good is that she is premature only because of the accident. Meaning that she was healthy and happy where she was and we don’t have to find out what was the cause of trouble. It is also good that Dr. Sahlin was preparing us extensively with ultrasounds and other means of testing so that we can use his information to customize care for what she will need.”

Gentle beeping came from Dr. Songoe’s hip as he started to continue. “Now, we do have some factors that will be working against us. One of those factors will be…” he broke of quickly as he read the text running across the pager. He sprang to his feet knocking his chair backwards. His eyes were empty as he glanced from Gonzo to Camilla and started to move out the door. “I’m sorry, I’ll be back with you as soon as possible. There’s an emergency.”

Camilla followed him into the hallway, wishing desperately that she knew what was happening.

[FONT=&quot]“Let’s go,” Gonzo whispered looking at the directory for the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. “I don’t like this feeling.” He grabbed Camilla’s wing that has already gone cold began to pull her and looked down at her. “Camilla! Let’s go now!” He said it impatiently unable to see her movements toward the elevator, lost in his own torment that the emergency involved their daughter and they were not being told yet.[/FONT]

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Oooooh... So much here. But at least the healing, if it can be called that, has begun.

We now know a little more about the accident and why Janice was in rehab earlier in the story.
Camilla and Janice are back on speaking terms, but her and Gonzo...
And nice references with the doctors' names.
But what'll happen to their newborn daughter? Oh, I sure hope we get more soon.
It's just reaching a fever pitch and the excitement and tension are rising. Please post more soon!

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Oh, how heartwrenching! Poor Camilla, poor Janice, poor Gonzo. You just want to scoop them all up into a big hug! Now that we know what happened more or less I hope Gonzo and Camilla will be able to work through their emotions and get back together. Wow. Great chapter. Gotta nag for more now!