The Great Muppet Caper

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I figured I would open a thread to discuss GMC.

Someone I would love LOVE to hear from is the person who wore the Miss Piggy costume when she dives into the pool! Is it the same person who drives the motorcycle?

I think that this is my second favorite Muppet film of all time (obviously The Muppet Movie is my fave). I think the story is just so awesome and the songs are great, the photography is awesome--better than any of the other movies--and the jokes are wonderful, too.

I remember, and probably still have somewhere, a comic book adaptation of the movie and I know I used to have a board game, a 3-D board game. That was fun! Anybody else remember this stuff?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I used to have the kiddie book version of Great Muppet Caper, I REALLY wish I still had that!

superboober

Reaction score
This is the Muppet film I knew best when I was young. The special effects are spectacular, especially when they're all riding their bikes together in the park with no visible means of support. Among my favorite moments:

-Animal roaring like the MGM lion in the opening shot and eating his backdrop
-the "Hey a Movie" number, one of the very best Muppet movie songs
-Gonzo blinding everyone with his flashbulbs
-the beds springing into the wall, followed by the lights shattering off
-the Dubonnet waiter imitating Lady Holliday's "IIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!" scream
-the repeated "what color are their hands now?" gag
-our heroes posing as the pizza delivery men to get into the Mallory Gallery ("But I HATE PEPPERONI!")
-Piggy hurling Peter Ustinov out of the truck cab (with Oscar's great cameo)
-Animal almost killing everyone yanking the skylight panel off

My favorite lines not already mentioned:

-"Kermit, what does B.S.C. stand for?
-"What are our choices (to pay)?"
"A, credit card, B, cash, C, sneak out in the middle of the night."
"We'll take C."
"Very popular choice."
-"You are all weirdoes!"
-You remember the pig? She'd been joined by a lizard."
-"I thought the butler was dead?"
"No, the pets are dead, the butler's been discharged."
-"You left your wallet in college!"
-"You're wearing my mustache."
-"I tried to be nice! HIIIIIIIIIIIYAAAAAA!!!!!"
-"How about if we jump halfway?"

P

Princeton

Not feeling the love...

This is by far my least favorite of the theatrically released Muppet movies for two reasons:

1. Do you honestly expect me to believe that practically every single Muppet made by that time lived in the same hotel?
2. I don't know what it is about him, but Lips totally rubs me the wrong way. He should not have been in the movie at all and does not deserve to even be considered an Electric Mayhem member.

Tim

Reaction score
superboober said:
The special effects are spectacular, especially when they're all riding their bikes together in the park with no visible means of support.
Actually, if you can find a copy of "Secrets Of The Muppets", Jim explains in detail how this scene was done. He points out how you can see the front and back wheels of the biks are linked together holding them up, along with the large tricycle down the road towing the whole thing is ridden by his Son John.

(Sorry if I ruined it for you!)

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I don't know, I like Lips and think he is a great addition to the band, plus Steve had a member.

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Princeton said:
This is by far my least favorite of the theatrically released Muppet movies for two reasons:

1. Do you honestly expect me to believe that practically every single Muppet made by that time lived in the same hotel?
Why do you think it's every Muppet ever made up till then? It's only a certain amount---pretty much the "gang" that helps Kermit, and the Jug Band, for the most part.

Princeton said:
2. I don't know what it is about him, but Lips totally rubs me the wrong way. He should not have been in the movie at all and does not deserve to even be considered an Electric Mayhem member.
I agree, he does not deserve to be part of the EM, and he is not part of it in my book. I loathe Lips, and nowhere do I loathe him as much as in this film. The sacreligious way he blocks Janice during her awesome diggin' '80s guitar solo in "Night Life" on top of the bus infuriates me to no end!! :mad: :mad: :mad: That is the Muppet Sin for which he must pay penance if he ever hopes to please me...

But that aside, I do treasure "Caper", and it is indeed my favorite of The Classic Muppet Trilogy! (followed VERY closely by "Movie").

Really!

It is!

:-D

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Speaking of fave moments: In the opening sequence when it goes something like this--

Fozzie: Wonder what this would be like without the balloon?
Kermit: What? Plummeting?
Gonzo: I'd like to try that--
Kermit: I suppose you could try it once, but we need you for the movie.

When Lady Holiday is going off about her brother, Piggy asks, "Why are you telling me this?"
Lady Holiday: "It's plot exposition--it has to go somewhere!"
I love when they break character like that.

crazed gonzo fa

Reaction score
I remember my parents getting this for me when I was little. I loved it so much, I watched it a lot! Then one day it just dissapeared and all I could find was the case. Fortunetly they got it for me agian.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Princeton said:

Actually, no one expects you to believe that. Uh uh. No siree. Which is why GMC is presented as nothing more than a movie made by the Muppets. It is not a part of the Muppet Cannon, though it may be based on certain events in their lives, but it's not a part of the cannon, therefore...we can expect plot devices such as them all living in the same hotel as much as we can expect anything else in this "movie" scripted, one assumes, by Kermit, Gonzo, Piggy and Fozzie.

Bea:zany:{And who can fault a movie with Oscar in it? Hmm?}regard