The Great Rubber Duckie Caper ~ A Sesame Street Fan-Fiction

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Well people, this is it, my short story! Now, before I post I have one question...Can you tell me how to get, how to get to Sesame Street?

Bert walked out of the tub in the bathroom of the apartment he shared with his long-time best friend Ernie. Bert wrapped a towel around his waist and made one into the shape of a turban around the top of his head.

He hummed a tune as he walked across the bathroom floor. He stepped down and heard a loud, "Squeak!" Bert looked down and saw Ernie’s Rubber Duckie lying on the wet floor. "Ernie! How many times do I have to tell you to put away your Rubber Duck?!" Bert shouted.

"Well gee Bert, I put him in the bathroom where he belongs, he must’ve fallen off the sink!" Ernie’s voice called from outside the bathroom.

"Ugh, it’s always this dumb duck!" Bert muttered, kicking the duck.

The rubber fowl squeaked as it flew across the bathroom and out the window. Bert gasped. "Oh no! What have I done?!" he darted out of the room.

Rubber Duckie flew outside the window and onto a mail truck driving by. It bounced off the metal sidings of the truck and right back onto Ernie and Bert’s bathroom floor.

*** * * * * * * ***​

"Oh hey Bert," Ernie looked up from his book at his dripping buddy. "Are you done in the bathroom?"

Bert stopped and looked at Ernie. "Um..." he hesitated. "Well, yes, but, uh, you don’t want to go in there yet! It’s still really damp! Let it dry for awhile so you don’t slip!"

"Alright Bert, my best buddy in the whole world!" Ernie stood up from the recliner. He placed his arm around Bert’s shoulder. "Uh, just put some clothes on okay, you’re beginning to wrinkle," Ernie whispered. "He he he he he."

Bert laughed lightly and ran into the bedroom. "Okay, okay, gotta get dressed and get out on the street and find that duck!" Bert began to hyperventilate. "What am I going to do?!"

*** * * * * * * ***​

Bert ran out the door of 123 Sesame Street pulling his turtleneck over his pointed yellow head.

"Hey there stripey, where ya off to?" Oscar the Grouch asked, popping out of his trash can home.

"I don’t have time to talk now Oscar," he looked around. "I lost Ernie’s Rubber Duckie!" Bert whispered to the grouch.

"Ooh, tough luck there," Oscar said. "Wish I could help."

"Really? Well Oscar if you want, you could go that way," Bert pointed towards Hopper’s Store. "And I’ll look over there. We’d cover a lot more ground that way!"

Oscar nodded. "Oh yeah, yeah. Yeah right! Scram skinny!" Oscar ducked down back into his can and slammed the lid.

Bert sighed. "Alright, I guess I should start in the alley."

*** * * * * * * ***​

Bert made his way to the alley outside his bathroom window and looked all around. "Ugh! Rubber Duckie isn’t here!"

"AHHHHH!!" a scream fell from the sky and crashed into a pile of old newspapers. "Oh my poor super hero body..." Super Grover moaned.

"Grover, what are you doing?" Bert helped the super monster up out of the newspaper.

"What? I am not Grover sir, I am SU-per Grover! Cute furry super hero monster. Now, if you want, I can go get Grover, he is a very good friend of mine. Hold on, hold on, I will go get him for you!" Super Grover scooted out of the alley and darted back in without his cape and helmet. "Hello, your favorite cute, furry, confused little monster, Grover here. Were you looking for me Bert?"

Bert shook his head. "Listen Grover I really don’t have time for this, I lost Ernie’s Rubber Duckie and I’ve got to-"

"Oh! Oh! Let me help! Let me help! I am a great detective!" Grover said. "Hold on, I’ll be right back!" Grover darted out of the alley again and returned in a flash wearing a plaid green detective suit and hat and a magnifying glass in his hand. "I am, Grover! SU-per Sleuth!"

"Oh brother," Bert said. "Ah well, at least I have some help now, uh, you look over there by those crates, and I’ll check behind the garbage cans."

"Gotcha, gotcha," Grover nodded. "Oh! And Bert, do not forget to look around, around, around, around, over and under and through!"

*** * * * * * * ***​

The Count sat in his castle watching the television screen. "Ah! That’s two, two friends searching for one, one Rubber Duckie! Ah ah ah!"

Thunder and lightning filled the air as the Count laughed.

*** * * * * * * ***​

Bert and Grover moved towards the street curb and searched around a large set of multicolored doors. "Do you see anything Grover?" Bert asked as he shuffled through the random street junk.

"No, not yet Bert, but do not worry I am sure that the cute, adorable, little rubber fellow can not be too far out!" Grover replied.

"Who’s far out?" an eight foot tall yellow canary asked. "Did the Yip-Yip Martians come for a visit again?"

Bert looked up from his search. "Oh, hi Big Bird, hi Snuffy," Bert greeted the bird and a shaggy brown elephant like creature known as Mr. Snuffleupagus.

"Hello Bert!" Snuffy said. "What’re you guys up to?"

Bert frowned. "Um...Okay, you guys can’t tell anyone but," he looked up and down the street. "I lost Ernie’s Rubber Duckie!" Bert whispered.

Big Bird, Snuffy and Grover gasped in unison. "Bert! How could this have happened?!" Grover asked.

Bert rose his eyebrow. "Grover, you already knew that!"

"Oh right."

"Oh dear," Snuffy said. "Can we help Bert?"

"Yeah, we love going on adventures!" Big Bird said.

"Oh but Big Bird, this is no ordinary adventure!" Grover answered for Bert. "It is The Great Rubber Duckie Caper!"

Oscar popped up from a different trash can. "Hey!" he shouted.

"Oscar, what are you doing here?" Big Bird asked the grouch.

"A very brief cameo!" Oscar said. He blinked, then looked at the camera. "Don’t these writers have any original ideas?!"

The grouch slammed back into his can.

"So, um, can we help Bert?" Big Bird reiterated.

Bert sighed. "Yeah...I guess, the more help the better."

*** * * * * * * ***​

The Count now had a bowl of popcorn in his lap. "Ooh, two friends plus two more friends makes four! Four friends on a vild goose chase! Or should I say vild Rubber Duckie chase! Ah ah ah!"

*** * * * * * * ***​

"Cinderella dressed in yellow went upstairs to kiss her fellow," Zoe and Rosita chanted as they spun the jump rope around with Elmo standing on the outside. "By mistake she kissed a snake, how many doctors did it take?"

"Okay Elmo! Now you jump in!" Zoe told her friend.

"Okay here Elmo goes!" the furry red monster said as he jumped inside the spinning rope and began to jump around. "One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight-"

*** * * * * * * ***​

"Nine, ten, elewen, tvewle! Tvewle jumps for Elmo! Ah ah ah!" The Count laughed as more thunder and lightning flashed and he sipped a soda can.

*** * * * * * * ***​

"Oh, that’s okay Elmo," Zoe helped Elmo up off the ground. "It was only your first try."

"Thanks Zoe," Elmo said as he stood up from the ground. "Elmo would like to try again if Rosita and Zoe will let him!"

"Oh si Elmo," Rosita said, flapping her wings about. "We love to play jump rope!"

"Grover I know we already looked over here!"

"Oh no we have not! Look this is by Hooper’s! We looked by Charlie’s not Hooper’s Bert!"

"Hey, look it’s Elmo, Zoe and Rosita! Hi guys!" Big Bird called out as the group made their way to where the jump ropers where standing.

"Hello Big Bird, Snuffy, Bert, Grover," Elmo greeted the group. "What is Bert looking for?"

"Oh, hi Elmo," Bert said. "Um..." Bert looked around. "You see, I lost Ernie’s Rubber Duckie," he whispered.

"Dios mio! Bert has lost Ernie’s Rubber Duckie?!" Rosita shouted.

"Shh!" Grover whispered. "It is a huge tippy top secret! You do not want to spoil it do you?"

"I thought it was a missing duckie, not a piece of spoiled fruit," Zoe said.

"Yeah, so did I," Big Bird chimed in.

"It is!" Bert shouted. "Now if you three will excuse us, we have to keep looking before Ernie realizes Rubber Duckie is missing."

"Oh, well Elmo can go tell him if Bert wants Elmo to."

"No!" Bert shouted. "Now come on you guys," Bert motioned to Grover, Big Bird, and Snuffy.

"Um, senor Bert," Rosita tapped Bert’s shoulder. "Can we go with you? Elmo sort of snapped the jump rope."

"I don’t see why not. Come on you three."

*** * * * * * * ***​

The Count returned to his armchair and placed the bowl of popcorn back on his lap. He grabbed up the remote control and pressed a button at the television. "Ah, the vonders of TiWo."

The Count sipped more of his Bat Cola. "Ah! That’s three! Three more friends, making it sewen! Sewen friends on a vild Rubber Duckie chase! Ah ah ah!"

*** * * * * * * ***​

Ernie closed his book. "Well, I think I’ve waited long enough to take my bath," he said as he got up from his armchair and approached the bathroom.

He walked into the washroom and grabbed his favorite rubber fowl off the floor. "Hey there Rubber Duckie, what are you doing down there?"

Ernie set Rubber Duckie on the side of the bathtub and turned on the water. "Was Bert playing with you again?" Ernie asked the inanimate object as he sat down in the tub. "He he he! We’ve gotta get him to stop that."

The duck squeaked as Ernie squeezed it in his hand. "He he he he! Rubber Duckie, you’re so much fun!"

Ernie began to sing as he washed himself in the tubby.

"Rubber Duckie, you’re the one
You make bath time lots of fun
Rubber Duckie I’m awfully fond of you

"Woh woh, bee doh!

"Rubber Duckie, joy of joys
When I squeeze you, you make noise
Rubber Duckie you’re my very best friend it’s true!"

*** * * * * * * ***​

"What you mean we have two letters of day?" Cookie Monster grumbled to a disgruntled Prairie Dawn.

"I mean that today Sesame Street is brought to you by the letters R and D!" Prairie said.

"But that not make sense Prairie," Cookie smacked his lips together. "I not supposed to have two cookies now, only one at time."

"Well then Cookie Monster, you’ll just have to pick which one you would rather have. Do you want R that starts words like ‘Red’ and ‘Ryan’ and ‘Rubber?’ Or do you want D that starts words like ‘Dynamite’ and ‘Dog’ and ‘Duckie?’"

Cookie began to lick his fingers. "Um...Um...Oh such a decision..."

"RIGHT OVER HERE!" Grover shouted as he darted in the Letter of the Day area.

"You’re sure you heard Rubber Duckie?" Bert asked as he and the others ran in as well.

"Yes Bert, I heard Rubber and Duckie," Grover said. "Little Elmo heard it too. Did you not Elmo?"

"Oh yes Grover, Elmo heard it too! Elmo is a very good listener!" the red monster said.

"Um, excuse me," Prairie addressed them. "But we’re trying to do the letter of the day here!"

"But Prairie, we are trying to find Rubber Duckie! Bert has lost him!" Rosita said.

"Quiet!" Bert said.

"Yeah it’s a secret Rosita," Big Bird whispered.

"Oh sorry."

"Sorry for bothering you Prairie, it looks like Rubber Duckie isn’t here after all. We’ll get out of your way," Bert led the others back towards 123 Sesame Street.

"Oh good," Prairie turned back to Cookie. "Now Cookie Monster which letter did you...Pick?"

Cookie let out a light belch. "Uh...Both?"

*** * * * * * * ***​

"Oscar are you sure?" Telly asked nervously.

"Oh yeah Telly, I’m really sure, don’t worry," Oscar replied.

"But Oscar...Rolling down the street in a trash can doesn’t seem very safe..."

"Telly, have I ever steered you down the wrong path?" Oscar asked genuinely.

"Well...When we were looking for Big Bird you turned left when you should’ve turned right..." Telly hesitated.

"Who’s looking for me?" Big Bird asked as he and the other six walked up to Oscar’s area.

"Oh! I found him I found him!" Snuffy laughed.

"Oh great, the turkey brought friends...I’ll be in my can," Oscar slammed down into his tin home.

Bert sighed and walked up the stairs to his apartment. "Well guys...Thanks...For all your help, I guess I’ll have to go break the bad news to Ernie."

"Elmo’s sorry that Elmo couldn’t help Bert find Ernie’s Rubber Duckie."

"Si, sorry Bert, I don’t think Ernie will be too mad."

"Yes! Just make sure he is breathing in and out before you tell him!"

Bert shook his head. "Alright Grover, I will, see you guys later."

Bert strutted into the apartment complex and walked to his door. He let out one last sigh and pushed open the door. "Ernie? I’m home."

Bert heard a faint squeaking moving towards him. It grew louder and louder until Ernie approached with Rubber Duckie in his hand. "Oh hey Bert! Rubber Duckie and I were just playing with the fire truck when-"

"OH RUBBER DUCKIE YOU’RE OKAY!!" Bert ran up and swiped the duck out of Ernie’s palm and began to hug it.

"Oh today I went out looking all over," Bert began to lilt.
"I searched high and low and all around with Grover
Now it’s finally over.

"Rubber Duckie you’re homeward bound
And now you’re finally found
Rubber Duckie I’m awfully fond of you!"

"Uh, Bert, what’s going on?" Ernie asked his best friend. "Not that I mind, I’m just confused."

"Oh Ernie, it’s nothing...Really..." Bert said innocently. "Let’s just finish singing!"

Ernie shrugged and put his arm around Bert’s shoulder.

"Rubber Duckie, you’re a star
And we’re lucky that you're ours
Rubber Duckie, we're awfully fond of
Rubber Duckie, we'd like a whole pond of
Rubber Duckie we're awfully fond of you!"

*** * * * * * * ***​

"Ah! That’s two! Two wery happy friends! Ah ah ah! Oh, and that reminds me, Sesame Street vas brought to you today by the letters R and D and the number two!" The Count laughed off into the night as thunder and lightning filled the sky.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Oh I Hug It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Squeee!

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
I loved that! How cute! SS fics are just so fun and awesome! I really enjoyed it and I loved Oscar's line "A very brief cameo" followed by "can't these writers come up with better ideas?" I laughed a long time at that! Thanks for writing such a cute story to end a nice long weekend!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yaeeeeeyyy!!!!! Prawny, that was great. This just goes to show that you've got the chops and can pull off great stories, even short ones.
Loved all the friends that showed up...
Loved the plot and the songs...
Even loved the cameos and the little in-jokes.

Great stuff, can't wait for whatever else you got for us.

Java

Reaction score
That was lots of fun!!! Thanks.

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Awww, that was cute! I loved everything already mentioned, and also the fact that you're so darn economical! What I mean is, that you could stretch RD to mean Red Dragon, (although you forgot the dragon), rubber Duckie, your name, and R2D2! Also, the way you made it seem like an accident, what with the 2 that was used for the number of the day signifying Ernie and Bert. Great, and can't wait to see what you have in store for us next!

Leyla

Reaction score
Aww... very, very sweet Sesame story there, Prawnie! I like the underlying moral lesson there. Bert would have spared himself a lot of trouble if only he'd fessed up earlier! He also got a nice attitude change towards the good ol' rubber duckie. I haven't seen Sesame street since the 80's, but you brought back a lot of fond memories.

BEAR

Reaction score
Oh my gosh!!!! This story was awesome, Ryan!! I think my favorite part is the Count watching all of this on TV. "Ah the vonders of TiWo"! Genius!! I am laughing so hard. This is a great story! I can't even tell you how much I love it. So many Sesame pals together. Great plot, great twists, great comedy, touching moment at the end!! This actually looks like it could be a real published story from Sesame Workshop. Thanks, Ryan!! :zany:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Wow, that was so well written! That was awsome, and I liked how you understood all of the characters! Keep up the good work!:smile:

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
That was excellent. I also loved the Count viewing it all on telly. Well done.