1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

The Grumpy King: New Cartoon Network puppet series

Discussion in 'Puppet News' started by Buck-Beaver, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Buck-Beaver

Buck-Beaver Well-Known Member

2. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Is this really puppetry? Looks more like CGI to me.
  3. Buck-Beaver

Aside from the obvious CG effects (like the wand sparks) it's 100% hand crafted puppetry. Jonny and Will specialize in doing Bunraku-style puppets...their bodies and/or the control rods for the puppets are just erased in post production when necessary.

If you watch their demo reel (there's a link to it at the bottom of my post), it includes some "behind the scenes" shots of them rehearsing and working on-set. The same sort of technique was used extensively on shows like "It's A Big, Big World" and "The Book of Pooh".
  4. CaseytheMuppet

CaseytheMuppet Well-Known Member

The only thing I dislike is the fact that they don't talk. Who is going to sit through an 11 minute show with no talking? Other than that it is great! ;)
  5. Buck-Beaver

Is it an 11 minute show? It's probably non-verbal so it's easier to sell and broadcast the show in foreign markets.
  6. CaseytheMuppet

CaseytheMuppet Well-Known Member

Most Cartoon network shows last around 11 minutes, with two episodes. I could be wrong.
  7. FrackleFan2012

FrackleFan2012 Well-Known Member

Um... I couldn't access the website. Please help me!
  8. Gonzo's Hobbit

Gonzo's Hobbit Well-Known Member

Saw the first video. It's intriguing to say the least. Will have to check out the other two later
  9. bluebomber95

bluebomber95 Member

How the **** do they get those expressions?! It's looks like stop motion... without all the stop!