1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

The guilty pleasure thread!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mo, Mar 26, 2013.

1. mo

mo Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure we don't have this thread so... yeah guilty pleasures! the things we like but we know are bad... I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one on this forum who's got 'em...

2. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I would certainly say that 13 GOING ON 30 is a guilty pleasure for me, because I KNOW it's a chick-flick, but somehow, I find it amusing and entertaining to watch. Not to mention I really like Mark Ruffalo as an actor.

3. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

The Bloodhound Gang. They are pretty much my opposite taste in music. But they did tour with Bowling for Soup, so...maybe there's something to it :p

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  4. mo

mo Well-Known Member

at first I was like "who are the blooodhound gang?" than I googled them and relised I used to love this one music video that they did when I was like 5 or something...now I know why my mother didn't like me watching it :/

MikaelaMuppet and Scooterforever like this.
  5. Scooterforever

Scooterforever Active Member

Yeah, I was in 5th grade or thereabouts when "Bad Touch" came out and as I recall it caused quite a stir, but that didn't keep me from hearing it. The Ben Affleck Daredevil film is a guilty pleasure of mine (which reminds me, I have to get it on DVD). I stand firm that the ONLY miscasting in that film was Jennifer Garner. I loved it when it first came out, it was so much darker than the other superhero films coming out at the time, and I can't understand why people hate it so much.

MikaelaMuppet and mo like this.
  6. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I never liked the term guilty pleasure. Seems to be thrown around too much by people who want to rationalize watching sleazy reality programs that would be completely out of character to watch. Oh. And they watch it ironically, which as I've always said is like book burning. As in, you have to buy the books first. And once you buy something, save putting it up free on the internet, they don't give 2 craps about what you do with it since they have the money anyway. Watching reality TV ironically still generates buzz, garners ratings, and keeps it relevant. They don't care if you laugh at it for being stupid if they tricked you into watching it anyway.

I don't really have much, since I'm quite open to what I like. Maybe that freaking horsey show. Only thing I really feel funny about. Other than that, I'm fine with what I enjoy.

MikaelaMuppet and minor muppetz like this.
  7. Twitch92

Twitch92 Member

My Fair Wedding. I love watching the creative process of how wedding planners work. Which is weird because I have no interest in being married.

8. MuppetSpot

MuppetSpot Well-Known Member

out of Jimmys head

9. KirbTreelo05

KirbTreelo05 Active Member

Barbie Life in the Dreamhouse. Darn you, Tumblr. xD

10. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I've thought the same thing. Regarding book burning, I wonder if anybody has ever stolen any books before burning them (NOTE: I do not recommend stealing anything).

And I wonder why people should feel guilty about what they like. I wondered if "guilty pleasures" meant "things we know are bad but like anyway", which makes me think, if you like it, do you really want to admit it's bad?

Though I kinda like to say that the two live-action Garfield movies are guilty pleasures.

11. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

Because itz da interwebz and how DARE you lyk s0mthing that sucks!!111111

But seriously, I would think, going by that interpretation, it's because people don't want to be harassed by idiots who feel the need to point out when someone has "bad taste" or the "wrong opinion" about things.

I usually use the term to mean something that I don't personally normally like, but like this particular thing, regardless of if its good or not. It's just one of those phrases that has different interpretations...

12. muppetgem

muppetgem Well-Known Member

I'm gonna bump this thread, because why the heck did it die?

Anyway, my guilty pleasures are:
    - Burger King food
    - Wendy's food
    - junk food in general (especially pizza and candy)
    - disco music
    - We Built This City by Jefferson Starship
    - some of the Chris Savino era episodes of Dexter's Laboratory (like the one where Dexter and Mandark's dads fight, and the one where Dexter is stuck inside his computer)
    - Fanboy and Chum Chum
    - Space Jam
    - Home on the Range (the Disney movie)
    - Minions (the movie and the characters)
    - furry/anthro art (not the sexy stuff, though)

scooterfan360 and MikaelaMuppet like this.
  13. ErinAardvark

ErinAardvark Well-Known Member

Care Bears, Strawberry Shortcake, and the original 80's My Little Pony (I lump them in this category, because it seems nobody likes these cartoons anymore).

scooterfan360 likes this.
  14. muppetgem

muppetgem Well-Known Member

Oh, I forgot one:
    - the Sonic R soundtrack. The game itself stinks, but the soundtrack is decent in my opinion, and I don't quite get why so many people hate it.

15. Flaky Pudding

Flaky Pudding Well-Known Member

My guilty pleasures are:
    -New SpongeBob
    -New Simpsons
    -Clarence
    -Teen Titans Go
    -The Dixie Chicks (after the controversy they caused back in the 00s, a lot of people seem to hate them)
    -The new Captain Underpants movie
    -The Star Wars prequels
    -Jar Jar Binks (see above)
    -The Lilo & Stitch anime (most fans seem to dislike it due to Lilo's absence, but I've grown to like Yuna)
    -What Does the Fox Say?

16. Flaky Pudding

Wasn't The Bloodhound Gang also the name of an obscure children's mystery/thriller series on PBS back in the 80s? Due to my vast knowledge of obscure pop culture, I thought that was what you were talking about at first.

17. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

Children's music

18. MikaelaMuppet

Yes. They were on 321 Contact.

Flaky Pudding likes this.
  19. MikaelaMuppet

20. Flaky Pudding

I have a few others:
    -Season 5 of Robot Chicken (Many fans claim it to be the weirdest and most offensive season they've done. I personally find it to be just as awesome at the others)
    -The Garfield Show
    -The Simpsons crossover with Family Guy (Aside from the Star Wars ones and some of The Cleveland Show episodes, this is the only Family Guy episode that I still really like after quitting the series not too long ago;Stewie's prank call to Moe was a bit uncalled for though, I agree with the critics on that one)
    -The Looney Tunes Show (I find it kind of weird that I like this but not Space Jam)
    -Clarence (I feel like the show can get a bit weird and awkward at times so this isn't one that I'm particularly proud of watching)
    -The asdfmovie videos on YouTube. Again, due to how zany, immature, and sometimes awkward they can be
    -Benthelooney on YouTube (I know he has some unusual interests, being a brony and someone who draws suggestive photos on Deviantart. But I think his YouTube work can be really clever and funny at times, especially Daisy and Dexter. They are so cute and make me laugh on a personal laugh because my neighbor has two dogs with the exact same names as the titular dogs from Ben's shorts)