"The Happytime Murders" premieres August 24, 2018

mupcollector1

Reaction score
So is there an official release date yet, trailers, etc? I've seen the promo art. In fact I printed out one of them and put it up on my wall next to my Meet The Feebles and Team America mini posters :smile: What studio is producing it?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Once again with a Henson film, we get a quiet sort of update every year before it doesn't happen.

The latest...Jamie Foxx is considering taking a role in this. I really want this to happen because I like Jamie, especially since he was very good in his Sesame Street appearance. And while I have trouble with Electro in the second Amazing Spider-Man movie, there's no doubt he acted the crap out of that role.

backpackmina

Reaction score
Hmmm...I don't know about Jamie Foxx. I think he's getting a bit overrated nowadays, and when was his last good comedy role (don't say Annie) ?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Annie would have sucked anyway because Annie always sucked.

And frankly, in the end, this means nothing. Remember 2, 3 years ago when Katherine Heigl was attached?

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Eh, I think Jamie Foxx is pretty overrated, i've never really been a fan of any of his roles.
How about someone a bit less divisive, someone almost universally loved. How about Tom Hanks?! Of course they'll never actually get Tom, but i'm sure the movie would get picked up by a studio faster if they did.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Tom Hanks? They'll make a new Muppet movie while they wait for Tom Hanks to make Toy Story 4. :concern:
But seriously, that's how Disney trapped Tom Hanks to bring him onboard for the Toy Story franchise, he'd already played a cop/detective character in Touchstone Pictures' Turner and Hooch. Unless you want to count his role in the Dragnet film.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
At least we're getting some news about the film, I thought it would never get off the ground, and still don't know if it'll ever actually make it to theaters considering the Henson's company track record.

Drtooth

Reaction score
How about someone a bit less divisive, someone almost universally loved. How about Tom Hanks?! Of course they'll never actually get Tom, but i'm sure the movie would get picked up by a studio faster if they did.
How 'bout Colin Hanks? He's pretty close to his father in appearance and tone. Too bad he's just a TV star as of now.

At least we're getting some news about the film, I thought it would never get off the ground, and still don't know if it'll ever actually make it to theaters considering the Henson's company track record.
Announcing a star is nothing. I have no doubt this project won't get further than the "it almost happened" stage. Say what you will about a certain show ending. At least it happened.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
A year later and new news have surfaced...

1 Melissa McCarthy has apparently signed on as the movie's new star.
2 Filming has been slated to start in August 2017.

This comes from a Variety article posted over at toughpigs, my favorite line is how Melissa McCarthy refered to the movie as puppet strippers, Los Angeles's underbelly, and comedy as her fever dream come true.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
This is fantastic to hear! And knowing they start filming in a mere three months means that it's very unlikely to get the can at this point. Fingers crossed that it'll be good/a success.

Now, imagine if this movie, the Fraggle Rock movie, and the SST movie all came out close to the same time. It would be a puppet invasion! And maybe the resurgence of puppet-lead films will help the Muppets make a comeback.