1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Help Muppet Central Radio
    We need your help to continue Muppet Central Radio. Show your support and listen regularly and often via Radionomy's website, official apps and the WinAmp Media Player. Learn More

3. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

"The Happytime Murders" premieres August 24, 2018

Discussion in 'Henson Alternative' started by stephenjlizard, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Flaky Pudding

Flaky Pudding Well-Known Member

We just went to see this movie at the theater today and...…

I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH BLAKECONOR14, IT WAS ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

I just came back from seeing the film, and I liked it. I liked the idea of puppets having to prove that they're equals to humans, I like the idea that sugar and syrup are drugs in the puppet world. And really, there's not as much sexual stuff as I was expecting, just two scenes and you don't even see their private parts. Plus there were a few heart-warming moments. I really think the trailers don't do the film justice.

3. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Yay. Another concept stolen from me before I had the chance to do anything with it. :rolleyes:

4. MartyMuppets

MartyMuppets Well-Known Member

If other forum members think it's a good film, that's okay.

5. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

Adorkable Rachel just put out a review of the film:

Muzzarino likes this.
  6. Old Thunder

Old Thunder Well-Known Member

Funny how the first few posts discuss how bad the film is, and suddenly everyone is saying that it’s actually quite good.

Don’t dismiss this film quite yet folks. I’m surprised people are so seriously hanging onto the words of reviewers anyway. Remember, Roger Ebert wasn’t big on Die Hard, and while this is not Die Hard, it’s still a film that should be viewed by everyone and then decided upon whether it’s bad or not.

The reviewer’s opinion is nothing compared to yours.

BlakeConor14 and Flaky Pudding like this.
  7. Froggy Fool

Froggy Fool Well-Known Member

I rather quite like this review, despite me not haven seen the movie yet:

8. BlakeConor14

BlakeConor14 Well-Known Member

Actually just rewatched it on 123Movies

I really like the film

The puppetry is unbelievable- how Phil manages to blow smoke amazes me.

Mellissa was extremely funny

Kevin, Drew, Victor and Dorien are all fantastic with their characters. Larry is a really likeable character (when I originally thought he was the murderer) Victor did a great job with him. So good to see Kevin puppeteering again he was a great Lyle and Mr Bumblypants

But bill was MVP HE WAS FLIPPING BRILLIANT

I did feel Joel Mchale and Elizabeth Banks were underused. And I thought Maya did a fantastic job as bubbles

Good thing is that the rotten cotten girls didn't have a role. Their only lines were the ones seen in the trailer.

Overall fantastic film

Flaky Pudding likes this.
  9. BlakeConor14

10. muppet maniac

muppet maniac Well-Known Member

I managed to find a torrent of the movie (recorded inside a theater). My reaction so far:

11. MrBloogarFoobly

MrBloogarFoobly Well-Known Member

No accounting for taste (or a lack of it.) ;)

12. BlakeConor14

I don't understand

13. CBPuppets

CBPuppets Well-Known Member

I just found this!

Blue Frackle likes this.
  14. CensoredAlso

CensoredAlso Well-Known Member

I am not exaggerating when I say, there isn't a single post-Jim Muppet production that I've ever been able to enjoy. One of them even gave me nightmares, heh. I don't expect that to change. So I guess that's all I can say.

MrBloogarFoobly and Blue Frackle like this.
  15. BlakeConor14

Not Even Bear in the big blue house?

16. CensoredAlso

CensoredAlso Well-Known Member

Eh well, their Christmas special was nice, I'll give you that.

17. snichols1973

snichols1973 Well-Known Member

So far, this film (which is the debut of Henson Alternative, a banner of the Jim Henson Company that specializes in adult content), resulted in Sesame Workshop filing a lawsuit against STX for using their trademark in a film which Sesame Workshop is not involved with, which was thrown out by the presiding judge, with STX issuing a statement afterwards:

“We fluffing love Sesame Street and we're obviously very pleased that the ruling reinforced what STX's intention was from the very beginning — to honor the heritage of The Jim Henson Company's previous award-winning creations while drawing a clear distinction between any Muppets or Sesame Street characters and the new world Brian Henson and team created. We believe we accomplished that with the very straightforward NO SESAME, ALL STREET tagline. We look forward to continued happy times as we prepare to release Happytime Murders this summer.”

Even fellow veteran Muppeteers Bill Barretta, Kevin Clash (best known as Elmo :laugh:), and Brian Henson have roles in the film.

Some versions of the ads start with "From the studio that was sued by Sesame Street...", with the tagline that the film is "No Sesame, All Street".

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  18. D'Snowth

Henson Alternative's been around long before this movie.

19. snichols1973

snichols1973 Well-Known Member

20. D'Snowth

No. Never heard of this series. Why didn't this see a wider release?