The Hobbit Movie?

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Fozzie said:
I agree. I think all they did was die hi hair brown. I think it is important for continuity's sake.
Well, I do think it would be really cool, but Ian was talking about all the weird things they had to do to his face just for that 20-second shot. I don't know how they could keep it up for the whole movie, especially since it requires him to be very physical.
Erin

Muppet Crypts

Reaction score
4/23/04
"I recently asked about the film rights to The Hobbit, which seem to be somewhat controlled by Peter Jackson, as far as I can tell. I hope that's the case because obviously he should have first refusal at translating the novel into a movie. I should be intrigued to return to Middle-earth, even though it involved putting on Gandalf's nose, which is even more distinctive than my own, tell your wife. I thought it might be possible to make a really long screen version, probably for television, with every episode of the book covered week by week in a multitude of episodes." - Sir Ian McKellen :big_grin:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
The Storyteller said:
Question!?!?!?!? How does MGM also own the rights to the Hobbit movie? :confused:
Tolkien sold off the rights to LOTR and The Hobbit as an afterthought in the late 60s, reportedly to pay off a tax bill. Chances are MGM was involved in the original transaction, or picked up some of the rights from someone who was. This kind of thing happens all the time in Hollywood.

Peter Jackson has been quoted several times saying he doesn't own the rights to The Hobbit, but would like to make it under the right conditions. According to reports he does not have any kind of right of first refusal should The Hobbit get made either (they'd be stupid to do it without him though). The problem with the rights seems to be that one company has the theatrical rights and another has the home video/DVD rights. I forgot who owns which.

The Storyteller

Reaction score
I did a little reserch into it, and in the 60's United Artist purchaed the rights. Then in 1981 when TransAmerica sold UA to MGM, MGM inhearited the rights!

Drum Eater

Reaction score
Being the LOTR geek that I am, I thought I'd share this official letter with you guys. Some of you may already have read it, but it's worth a try!
Official Letter from New Line Cinema's Bob Shaye

Dear Loyal LOTR Fans,

Thank you very, very much for the incredible outpouring of support for LOTR, and your eagerness to see THE HOBBIT.

We, at New Line, are most touched and appreciative of your compliments, and your passion for the remarkable work of the author, the filmmakers, talent, and craftspeople.

We are also, as you, most anxious to see THE HOBBIT realized.

Please be assured that there is, in no way, a crass argument with MGM or anyone over money or rights. In fact, no discussions about any settlement of our respective claims, has been commenced. When, and if, such discussions ensue, be assured that we intend to be equitable and appropriate to the spirit of Tolkien, and THE HOBBIT. We will, as much as possible, "do the right thing", respecting the incredible loyalty and appreciation of the worldwide fans. We hope that MGM will feel the same.

However, we also wish to have the film overseen by the best possible mentors - and, for us, if possible, that means Peter and Fran. They are totally occupied by KING KONG now and, we believe, will be the next twenty-four months, or so.

So our efforts will take time to realize.

Sincerely,

Robert Shaye
Co-CEO/Co-Chairman
New Line Cinema

Drum Eater

Reaction score
No problem! It's cool to find people who are into the Muppets and LOTR! Double bonus! :halo: